Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gclee0915

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2012
Hello MacRumors,

I am an architecture student studying in college, entering his third year of the Bachelor of Architecture degree. My current computer (Macbook Pro, 2010 early) has been slowing down gradually due to age and memory usage. The files of my designs are increasing in both size and numbers thus I believe it is time for me to get a new computer, the 27 inch.

My question to not only architecture majors but also any other designer is what upgrades did you choose? I use heavy duty programs such as Autocad, Rhino 4.0, and Adobe Creative Suite simultaneously, since I need them side by side to compare specific details and such. Extremely heavy renderings will be done on this computer so rendering time is an issue for me to consider.

Obviously, the best choice for me would be to max out everything, but applecare itself is nearly 200 dollars. I would go blind if I see numbers at the checkout page exceed 3,000 dollars or so, tax included. But if the upgrade really will benefit for me in the long run, I am willing to pay the extra.

Which upgrades should I get in order to build me a pretty long lasting computer that can work with transitioning between heavy programs with speed? Which upgrades benefits the rendering speed in V-ray (Rhino 4.0)?

Thank you guys so much. I have been spectating the forums for quite some time now, this is a really great community here.

QuickFlame

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2012
Apple care gets like 80% off for students. Coupled with the iMac discount its practically free :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.