Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marcelo4527

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 23, 2012
I got mine iPhone 5 from Verizon a week ago, and I wanted to test its unlocked feature! When I go to settings-about, it shows verizon.
I decided to cut and inactive AT&T sim card and since it's not activated it shows no signal, but when I go to settings and then about, it says Carrier AT&T 13.0
Does it mean my iPhone is unlocked?

Vudoo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2008
Dallas Metroplex
All Verizon iPhone 5s are unlocked on the GSM band. So you can use a Verizon IP5 on AT&T's 3G network, but not their LTE network.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
but you said you wanted to test the unlocked feature... so you knew about me. Then you knew you put in a non-activated sim and the carrier said AT&T, and you're asking us if it worked lol.

Yes it did.

Last edited by a moderator:

adeedew

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2005
All Verizon iPhone 5s are unlocked on the GSM band. So you can use a Verizon IP5 on AT&T's 3G network, but not their LTE network.

Is that right? The Unlocked Verizon Iphone 5 on ATT will only get 3g but not the full LTE etc if it's avail in your area?

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
Is that right? The Unlocked Verizon Iphone 5 on ATT will only get 3g but not the full LTE etc if it's avail in your area?

AT&T and Verizon's LTE are on different freqs and the Verizon iP5 isn't compatible with AT&T's LTE and vice versa.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.