Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Dec 1, 2012, 06:00 AM   #1
Tsuchiya
macrumors 65816

Water+iPod Nano- Frustrating situation

So last month I brought my little sister a new 7th gen iPod Nano for her birthday. A couple of days ago our mum confiscated it from her for not doing her homework or something and left it in her jeans pocket...which just went through a full wash and dry.

So yeah, I think it's safe to assume that it's pretty water damaged and/or melted inside (our dryer could probably heat the entire house when it's on a cycle).

I've stuck it in some rice and will take it out on Monday, but worst case scenario does anyone know what Apple will charge for a replacement?
Old Dec 2, 2012, 11:01 AM   #2
kaielement
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuchiya View Post
So last month I brought my little sister a new 7th gen iPod Nano for her birthday. A couple of days ago our mum confiscated it from her for not doing her homework or something and left it in her jeans pocket...which just went through a full wash and dry.

So yeah, I think it's safe to assume that it's pretty water damaged and/or melted inside (our dryer could probably heat the entire house when it's on a cycle).

I've stuck it in some rice and will take it out on Monday, but worst case scenario does anyone know what Apple will charge for a replacement?
If they are feeling nice they might give you 10% off a new unit, other wise you my friend are stuck buying a new one. On the other hand seeing as it was your moms fault see if you can get her to buy the new one.

P.S. I have never sent an iPod through the washer lol....
Old Dec 2, 2012, 11:34 AM   #3
Aspasia
macrumors 6502a

Your mother is the guilty party here and she should pay the cost of replacement. After all, she is the one who put the Nano in her pocket and then washed the garment.

Very odd that she would not have learned by now to always check the pockets of everything that's going into the washing machine.
Aspasia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2012, 11:52 AM   #4
Tsuchiya
macrumors 65816

Ah damn, I was hoping they would just charge a flat fee for a "repair" but just replace it for a refurb like they do with iPhones and iPads.

Ah well, we'll see if the thing powers on tomorrow morning.

For the record though, my mum felt awful about it and immediately offered to pay for a replacement. I won't be a douche and take the offer up though, mistakes happen.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 09:08 PM   #5
Pklink04
macrumors newbie

Apple stores do a recycling program, you can bring in an iPod (working or not) and they will give you 10% on a new one. Not great, but better than nothing.

Last edited by Pklink04; Dec 2, 2012 at 09:35 PM.
Pklink04 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 06:05 AM   #6
Tsuchiya
macrumors 65816

Took it into Apple this morning. The person who saw me said that because there was no liquid indicator on this particular model, she would just swap it over. Walked out 10 minutes later with a shiny new iPod

Awesome

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod