Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you completely shut off your iPad overnight? Or leave it on sleep mode?

• Completely turn it off

Votes: 13 4.1%
  • Leave it in sleep mode

Votes: 170 54.0%
  • Charge it in sleep mode

Votes: 112 35.6%
  • A little bit of both

Votes: 20 6.3%

• Total voters

PhiladelphiaX

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Poll: Do you turn off your iPad completely off overnight? Or do you leave it on in sleep mode?

I know people usually charge their iPads over night in sleep mode, but assuming your iPad is fully charged at night, do you leave it in sleep mode or completely shut it off?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I leave it on at all times and I don't think I've ever shut it off completely since I first got it. I charge it almost every night or every other night.

steve dave

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2010
I didn't know anyone ever shut their ipad/iPhone off completely.

come to think of it I didn't think anyone still shut down their laptops, either.

The only time I ever see the shutdown screen on my ipad is when I am resetting it.

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
When the screen is grungy and needs cleaning, and my iPad needs charging, I turn it off, clean the screen and let it charge overnight.

Apple advises:

"Handle your iPad with care to maintain its appearance. If you are concerned about scratching or abrasion, you can use one of the many cases sold separately. To clean iPad, unplug all cables and turn off iPad (press and hold the Sleep/Wake button, and then slide the onscreen slider). Use a soft, slightly damp, lint-free cloth. Avoid getting moisture in openings. Don’t use window cleaners, household cleaners, aerosol sprays, solvents, alcohol, ammonia, or abrasives to clean iPad. iPad has an oleophobic coating on the screen; simply wipe iPad’s screen with a soft, lint-free cloth to remove oil left by your hands. The ability of this coating to repel oil will diminish over time with normal usage, and rubbing the screen with an abrasive material will further diminish its effect and may scratch your screen."

PhiladelphiaX

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
I didn't know anyone ever shut their ipad/iPhone off completely.

come to think of it I didn't think anyone still shut down their laptops, either.

The only time I ever see the shutdown screen on my ipad is when I am resetting it.

Really good point. I can't remember the last time I turned off my desktop or my laptop (which are used pretty frequently). My phone stays on constantly, too - usually charging over night. My iPod, for obvious reasons, stays off over night.

Do you know if turning off the iPad completely night after night has any sort of long-lasting effect on it?

I heard that shutting it off constantly can be bad for it - but I really can't verify if it's true or not.

SunnyRenegade33

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2012
I usually charge it in sleep mode over night - but I consider that more "leave it in sleep mode" as opposed to turning it off completely.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Really good point. I can't remember the last time I turned off my desktop or my laptop (which are used pretty frequently). My phone stays on constantly, too - usually charging over night. My iPod, for obvious reasons, stays off over night.

Do you know if turning off the iPad completely night after night has any sort of long-lasting effect on it?

I heard that shutting it off constantly can be bad for it - but I really can't verify if it's true or not.

I don't think that leaving it on or turning it off will have any perceivable adverse effects on it at all.

RWil85

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2010
There's an article on "Battery U" or "Battery University" that some users were discussing in another thread not too long ago..

They recommended not charging the device while using it - as the device would be putting energy out while trying to consume its appropriate charging rate and would confuse/deteriorate the battery more over time.

Now, charging while in sleep mode is pretty darn close to "off" - but, in that article they say that best practice for charging lithium-ion batteries is to do it while the device is fully off and to let the device get down to around 20% or so first before doing so. ill try to find the link.

It may make sense - but, sounds super tedious and will probably only make a difference long after the device's life with me.

That's my .02

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
There's an article on "Battery U" or "Battery University" that some users were discussing in another thread not too long ago..

They recommended not charging the device while using it - as the device would be putting energy out while trying to consume its appropriate charging rate and would confuse/deteriorate the battery more over time.

Now, charging while in sleep mode is pretty darn close to "off" - but, in that article they say that best practice for charging lithium-ion batteries is to do it while the device is fully off and to let the device get down to around 20% or so first before doing so. ill try to find the link.

It may make sense - but, sounds super tedious and will probably only make a difference long after the device's life with me.

That's my .02

I've had a dozen of mac since 2000, about 10 iPods since 2002, several iPhones since 2007. Never turnit off to charge. Never any issues. I don't care what some nerd online says about deteriorating battery. It's a none issue. I use it while charging, ie I'm the car or on the nightstand.

KennySmith

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2011
never turn it off... too troublesome... I never completely turn off my ipad or iphone overnight

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Never turn it off ... I wish it had an uptime command :D

I do occasionally run it till it shuts down as I understand that helps with battery/indicator calibration.

Same with my MBP, it's rarely ever shutdown completely, and mostly only rebooted when required by an update.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
that's the beauty if iOS - it never needs to be restarted or turned off.

i was pulling the battery on my Blackberry 3x a week

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I've never turned it off to save the battery, it either gets plugged in (generally never do this) over night or I just let it be and plug it in during the day when it needs it.

RWil85

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2010
that's the beauty if iOS - it never needs to be restarted or turned off.

i was pulling the battery on my Blackberry 3x a week

I'm surprised all tech forums don't make that B********* when you type it.

I had the 9930 (top of the line BB for years) and HAD to get rid of it. Awful.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
Has anyone actually had a battery go bad on an ipad? My old ipad 1 is still going strong and it never gets turned off either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.