Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Dec 1, 2012, 09:56 AM   #1
imjoee
macrumors 6502

What Mac should I decide to buy?

Ill do a ton of photo editing and video downloads and edits. School work such as iWork, Lightroom and other apps. Should I wait for the update for the air in 2013 summer or get the new iMac 21.5in with 16gb ram? I don't want to spend anything over 1500$. I also want my computer to last 5+ years, which one should I choose? I take a ton of photos and edit them. About a 1000 a week
imjoee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 11:26 AM   #2
FoxFifth
macrumors regular

Since you mentioned the Air and the iMac, I would think that the very first thing you would want to do is decide whether you need/want portability. Deciding between a desktop and a laptop is something that somebody else probably can't much help you with since that depends almost completely on your needs and wants.
FoxFifth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 12:26 PM   #3
imjoee
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxFifth View Post
Since you mentioned the Air and the iMac, I would think that the very first thing you would want to do is decide whether you need/want portability. Deciding between a desktop and a laptop is something that somebody else probably can't much help you with since that depends almost completely on your needs and wants.
I would like to have it portable, but I won't be taking it out of the house, maybe like once a year. Other than that, I just want it to last long. If I do go with the iMac what specs am I looking at to last 5+ years?
Old Dec 1, 2012, 12:49 PM   #4
dmk1974
macrumors 68000

I have a 2012 11" MBA which is great, but I also recently got a Mac Mini and an iPad Mini. In the house and out and about, I typically grab my iPad Mini and am trying to see if using the desktop-only Mac Mini will suffice.

My Mac Mini is slightly more powerful than the MacBook Air, but with the MBA it is nice to know that there is a fully portable computer option available if I need it for tasks that the iPad can't do. I almost never take the MBA out of my house (maybe twice over the past year?). I'll hopefully decide over the next week if I can "get by" with the iPad/Mac Mini combo. The Mac Mini is a great bang for the buck option for a computer.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 01:10 PM   #5
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjoee View Post
I would like to have it portable, but I won't be taking it out of the house, maybe like once a year.

Portable = means you move it a lot, no only out of the house but moving the machine constantly between rooms in the house. Assuming no.

If u can get an iMac for under your budget, go for it.

U can make any machine go longer by NOT automatically updating the software as they come out. Newer software tend to want more horse power from your machine, is a vicious cycle. Am still using Photoshop 6.0 from 10 years ago on my super-obsolete laptop and it's fine. I bet the new Photoshop has a few new features that I don't need.
Mrbobb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 01:27 PM   #6
imjoee
macrumors 6502

I would definitely love to move the machine around the house but if it means more bang for ya buck ill go for the iMac. Should I get the 16GB ram?
Old Dec 1, 2012, 01:39 PM   #7
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

Quote:
I would definitely love to move the machine around the house but if it means more bang for ya buck ill go for the iMac. Should I get the 16GB ram?
You are in Mac country. Bang-4r-Buck means PC.

With MBA, u get what u get, it's not upgradable, you must buy what you think you need up front and that's it.

At least with an iMac, it's somewhat upgradable down the road.

I am not pushing you toward iMac, just giving out the facts. Your wallet.
Mrbobb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2012, 12:14 PM   #8
mankar4
macrumors 6502a

I would get a retina MBP, with your photo/video plans, it will make a big difference.
mankar4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2012, 02:14 PM   #9
limesmoothie
macrumors 6502

Quote:
If you're going to go with the Mini, 16GB is a great, inexpensive upgrade if you do it yourself. Mine is running sweetly with an i5 and 16GB and I've been throwing much more at it than normal.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air