ovrld
macrumors newbie

iMac 27 i7 Repairs with Amsys

Hi Guys,

Just had my iMac picked up for repair for the following, with Amsys in the UK:

- Blurry/Smudgy discoloration top right screen
- Replacing faulty wireless card
- Replacing hardrive (recalled)

This is all under Applecare - thought I'd get it done now as it runs out in May.

My question is, has anyone had anything similar done and how long does it normally take Amsys to complete the repair? I use the iMac for my business so am keen to get it back ASAP really.

Also, do they normally do a 'good job' generally?

Thanks for any comments!
ovrld is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2013, 06:03 PM   #2
bmcgrath
macrumors 65816

No experience but why don't you use an Apple store? They're pretty quick. 24hrs in my previous experience!
bmcgrath is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2013, 08:16 PM   #3
kitkat99333
macrumors newbie

Had them repair my 2010 27inch iMac through Applecare. Worst experience of my life.

It had some 'grey smudges' on screen so because I couldn't easily get to an Apple Store, Apple arranged Amsys to carry out the repair. They said 2-3 day turnaround but over a week later I received my iMac back. Granted the display issue was fixed, but the casing was covered in scratches and when I tried to use it was being almost unbearable slow. Turned out my HDD was defective when I checked into it (likely due to being dropped or along those lines)

Apple told me to take it into a store, but I couldn't do that as it was to far away and then someone Senior at Amysys contacted me almost begging me to take my iMac so they could correct their mistake. Took about a month till I received it back, in a brand new casing. They hadn't even bothered to fix the HDD issue.

The Tech guy at Apple must of felt sorry for me after going over 3 months without a fully working machine so offered to give me a brand new 2012 iMac as replacement. Due to the 3-4 week wait for one at the time I was cheeky and asked could I get a specced out rMBP instead, they agreed and a week later it arrived.

Worst Experience of my life was with Amsys, so much stress and downtime. Thankfully Apple more than made up for it in the end.

I'd say your ok as like me your repair is being carried out through Applecare. Just make sure you take photos before you send it off and thoroughly inspect it before and after physically especially. If any foot is put out of place, contact Apple and they will sort everything out.

Some Useful Contacts:

samina@apple.com - Can't remember department but is extremely high up and personally kept me regularly updated on the entire situation and sorted it all out to my satisfaction. A woman who can actually make the decisions herself.

Good Luck!

Last edited by kitkat99333; Apr 3, 2013 at 07:22 AM.
kitkat99333 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2013, 04:57 AM   #4
MrNomNoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovrld View Post
Hi Guys,

Just had my iMac picked up for repair for the following, with Amsys in the UK:

- Blurry/Smudgy discoloration top right screen
- Replacing faulty wireless card
- Replacing hardrive (recalled)

This is all under Applecare - thought I'd get it done now as it runs out in May.

My question is, has anyone had anything similar done and how long does it normally take Amsys to complete the repair? I use the iMac for my business so am keen to get it back ASAP really.

Also, do they normally do a 'good job' generally?

Thanks for any comments!

I'd talk to Apple directly as noted by kitkat99333 - end of the day these companies have a relationship with Apple and for all intents and purposes they are 'Apple' to the end user so anything that they don't do correctly will eventually come back and bite Apple. Maybe ask Apple what they can do - if you've got photos then forward it to them.
MrNomNoms is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2013, 05:46 AM   #5
ovrld
macrumors newbie

Wow - thanks for the helpful replies guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgrath View Post
No experience but why don't you use an Apple store? They're pretty quick. 24hrs in my previous experience!
Yeah, the only thing is the nearest store is quite a distance away from me. There is a reseller near me but they wanted to charge me to reinstall everything after they'd replaced the HD, which I didn't think was right considering its on applecare.

kitkat99333 - thanks for your experience. Really hoping that the same doesn't happen to me as the machine really is my bread and butter in terms of generating an income. Although, it sounds like your situation turned out alright, albeit a long wait! Thanks for those emails...I will definitely keep those on hand should things go awry. I didn't decide to take photos as they didn't really capture any detail so decided to leave it. However, the machine is practically as new in terms of condition - I've always kept it that way.

Anyway, Im probably being a bit paranoid. Will keep you updated. Thanks again!
Old Apr 3, 2013, 06:42 AM   #6
All Taken
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkat99333 View Post
Had them repair my 2010 27inch iMac through Applecare. Worst experience of my life.

It had some 'grey smudges' on screen so because I couldn't easily get to an Apple Store, Apple arranged Amsys to carry out the repair. They said 2-3 day turnaround but over a week later I received my iMac back. Granted the display issue was fixed, but the casing was covered in scratches and when I tried to use it was being almost unbearable slow. Turned out my HDD was defective when I checked into it (likely due to being dropped or along those lines)

Apple told me to take it into a store, but I couldn't do that as it was to far away and then someone Senior at Amysys contacted me almost begging me to take my iMac so they could correct their mistake. Took about a month till I received it back, in a brand new casing. They hadn't even bothered to fix the HDD issue.

The Tech guy at Apple must of felt sorry for me after going over 3 months without a fully working machine so offered to give me a brand new 2012 iMac as replacement. Due to the 3-4 week wait for one at the time I was cheeky and asked could I get a specced out rMBP instead, they agreed and a week later it arrived.

Worst Experience of my life was with Amsys, so much stress and downtime. Thankfully Apple more than made up for it in the end.

I'd say your ok as like me your repair is being carried out through Applecare. Just make sure you take photos before you send it off and thoroughly inspect it before and after physically especially. If any foot is put out of place, contact Apple and they will sort everything out.

Some Useful Contacts:

deffense.m@apple.com - Executive Relations

samina@apple.com - Can't remember department but is extremely high up and personally kept me regularly updated on the entire situation and sorted it all out to my satisfaction. A woman who can actually make the decisions herself.

Good Luck!
On the bottom of the Executive Relations email you will find a disclaimer explicitly stating that any contact address or messages are to be between yourself and apple and are not to be reproduced on blogs, forums etc. I suggest you remove the address as it's a confidential line of enquiry with Apple that should not be open to everyone - hence 'Executive Relations' not 'Customer Relations'.

Samina is the Operations Director for Apple Distribution International and has a lovely German Shepherd dog.

Last edited by All Taken; Apr 3, 2013 at 07:33 AM.
All Taken is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2013, 06:58 AM   #7
Lee2011
macrumors newbie

Send a message via Skype™ to Lee2011
Had my late 2009 iMac done with them and it had to go back 3 times because they didn't fix the problems

New screen 2 times
New hard drive (recall)
New logic board + gpu
New power unit

After all that apple sent me a new 2013 27" iMac with 3.4 ghz i7, GTX 680mx all for free
Lee2011 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2013, 07:39 AM   #8
ovrld
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee2011 View Post
Had my late 2009 iMac done with them and it had to go back 3 times because they didn't fix the problems

New screen 2 times
New hard drive (recall)
New logic board + gpu
New power unit

After all that apple sent me a new 2013 27" iMac with 3.4 ghz i7, GTX 680mx all for free
Aaargh, doesn't sound promising!
Old Apr 3, 2013, 07:43 AM   #9
Draeconis
macrumors 6502

I've worked with Amsys in the past, never had a good experience with them.

Try MR Systems. They turned around machines we sent to them quickly, and the deliver pretty quickly too

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac