Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 1, 2012, 02:35 PM   #1
AJsAWiz
macrumors 68000
 
AJsAWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ohio
Send a message via AIM to AJsAWiz
Post Consumer Reports on iPad Mini

Here is an excerpt from an article from the January 2013 issue of Consumer Reports:

A fine iPad in a small package
If you're looking for a more portable and affordable iPad, the iPad Mini delivers, our preliminary tests found. Apple has managed to shrink most of what's good about the 9.7 inch iPad into a smaller package.
The screen is good enough.
Resolution is much lower than on the newest full-sized iPad or Nook HD. But the crisp text holds its own against the best 7-inch tablets and the non retina iPad 2. Colors and viewing angles actually match those of the Retina display.
Bottom line.
In shrinking the iPad, Apple didn't compromise much. Instead, it produced a tablet that's better suited, in important ways, for reading.

I'm sure that there are some who may disagree with Consumer Reports. It's not my intent to reopen the iPad Mini Wars or inflame others. I'm just sharing, what I thought was, a good article.
__________________
AJsAWiz
AJsAWiz is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 02:41 PM   #2
thadoggfather
macrumors 68040
 
thadoggfather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Viewing angle maybe but not colors
thadoggfather is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 02:41 PM   #3
AppleRobert
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
You have a link for the whole article? I would not mind reading it.
AppleRobert is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 03:00 PM   #4
AJsAWiz
Thread Starter
macrumors 68000
 
AJsAWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ohio
Send a message via AIM to AJsAWiz
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleRobert View Post
You have a link for the whole article? I would not mind reading it.
I have a subscription to Consumer Reports so I read this article in the paper edition. These do not include the article that I read in my magazine but you may find this helpful:

http://news.consumerreports.org/elec...and-video.html

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/e...b-99047491.htm
__________________
AJsAWiz
AJsAWiz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 03:58 PM   #5
AlanFord
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cro
It is a great device but overpriced.
AlanFord is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 04:10 PM   #6
corvus32
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanFord View Post
It is a great device but overpriced.
Overpriced compared to what?
__________________
Asus Maximus VII Impact mITX motherboard / Intel i7-4790K / MSI GTX 980 Gaming OC / 8GB G.SKILL TridentX 2400MHz CAS 9 RAM
iPad Air (128GB) / Apple TV (3rd Gen)
corvus32 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 05:12 PM   #7
barkomatic
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Manhattan
They didn't bring up anything new that every other review covered. Whether its a positive or negative review seems to depend on whether you mind the screen or not.
barkomatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 06:12 PM   #8
klover
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
They should stick to vacuum cleaner reviews.
klover is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 06:17 PM   #9
wrkactjob
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: London
Its like when you go watch a film, enjoy it, then read a crap review, your like WTF?

Reviews are so subjective, you really have to see the film or product for yourself.
wrkactjob is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 09:29 PM   #10
AJsAWiz
Thread Starter
macrumors 68000
 
AJsAWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ohio
Send a message via AIM to AJsAWiz
Unhappy Creeping out from the Woodwork

Amazing how a simple thread like this can bring out the "ugly" in some people.
__________________
AJsAWiz
AJsAWiz is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 08:12 AM   #11
AlanFord
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cro
Quote:
Originally Posted by corvus32 View Post
Overpriced compared to what?
350 euros, compared to other similar tablets on market for me its overpriced.
AlanFord is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 08:23 AM   #12
maflynn
Moderator
 
maflynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Boston
Quote:
Originally Posted by corvus32 View Post
Overpriced compared to what?
Other 7" tablets, nook, kindle, nexus etc.
maflynn is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 08:51 AM   #13
kappaknight
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanFord View Post
350 euros, compared to other similar tablets on market for me its overpriced.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
Other 7" tablets, nook, kindle, nexus etc.
Those other tablets are costing the companies money. The mini is making a profit. As a shareholder, I approve.
kappaknight is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 09:44 AM   #14
Medic311
macrumors 68000
 
Medic311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Regarding the iPad Mini 1st gen, the following 3 questions should be asked:

1) Was Apple capable of doing better? - yes
2) Should Apple have done better? -yes
3) Was it necessary for Apple to do better? - nope

#3 is why Apple didn't go "all-out" on the iPad Mini - they didn't have to. look how frustrating it has been to get an iPad Mini in a store, whether it's the Apple Store or Best Buy. why introduce new costs with higher resolution displays etc, when the focus point marketing studies already predicted how successful it would be (and predicted correctly). to top it off, Apple is selling every iPad Mini it gets in stock at the store. it wouldn't have made sense to introduce a Mini with higher costs.

#2 is just a personal opinion of mine, as they could have at least put a better resolution display in the Mini (maybe not Retina, but something in between)

#1 Apple has so much $$$ it could develop its own battery to meet the demands of Retina better
Medic311 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 09:46 AM   #15
yegon
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadoggfather View Post
Viewing angle maybe but not colors
This. I love my mini, haven't a problem with the screen, but colours are significantly better on the 3/4.
yegon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 09:47 AM   #16
maflynn
Moderator
 
maflynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Boston
Quote:
Originally Posted by kappaknight View Post
Those other tablets are costing the companies money. The mini is making a profit. As a shareholder, I approve.
The question was "Overpriced compared to what?" to which I answered with the other tablets. Its immaterial whether amazon is selling it at cost or not. The bottom line is that to the consumer, the iPad represents a much higher cost and I really do not care how that benefits apple's shareholders.

With that said, I own an iPad mini, but lets be clear its probably the most expensive 7" tablet out on the market.
maflynn is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 09:59 AM   #17
darngooddesign
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic311 View Post
...#1 Apple has so much $$$ it could develop its own battery to meet the demands of Retina better
This is flawed logic as you could also say that since Apple has so much money they could find a way of sticking a 512MB graphics card in the MacBook Air without increasing the weight and thickness or making it run hotter.

I don't believe it was possible to give the Mini a retina display while maintaining a 10 hour battery. Maybe the next one, but not the current one.

So the question is whether Apple should have waited with releasing the Mini or not, and that coimes down to whether you think Apple has the right to make money on something that doesn't meet your standards. The thing is a 6 hour Mini would not meet my standards in the same way that a non-retina Mini doesn't meet yours. Nor would a Mini that is thicker, heavier and runs hotter, and its already been shown that Apple can make a full sized Retina iPad that doesn't run noticibly hotter than the iPad 2.

In the end it's a simple thing, if the Mini doesn't meet your standards, don't buy it.
__________________
128 giggity... giggity... gigg-i-ty
Lego Apple Store

Last edited by darngooddesign; Dec 4, 2012 at 10:05 AM.
darngooddesign is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 10:01 AM   #18
jonnyb098
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Michigan
Sorry, I have to disagree. Colors are not on par with the retina iPad. They are on par with the iPad 2. There have already been tests on this and its obvious colors are not nearly as saturated as on the iPad 3/4. This is particularly noticeable on anything that is green or purple. The iTunes store icon for example looks obnoxiously undersaturated when comparing to the new iPad. And anything thats supposed to be green has a yellow tinge on the iPad mini/iPad2.

The mini only produces roughly 62% of the Adobe sRGB color spectrum while the iPad 3/4 product 95%+. Lets not get ahead of ourselves calling the iPad mini screen great. Its good not great. Colors are simply not as saturated.

http://www.displaymate.com/iPad_mini_ShootOut_1.htm
jonnyb098 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 10:03 AM   #19
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem
 
GoCubsGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
"The screen is good enough?" Really? Does CP usually rate something high that they determine is "good enough?"

And I disagree with their assessment of the screen. Colors are not on par with the retina models. I like the mini, but I don't have the balls to nearly say the screen is close to a retina iPad.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 10:12 AM   #20
Medic311
macrumors 68000
 
Medic311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by darngooddesign View Post
This is flawed logic as you could also say that since Apple has so much money they could find a way of sticking a 512MB graphics card in the MacBook Air without increasing the weight and thickness or making it run hotter.

I don't believe it was possible to give the Mini a retina display while maintaining a 10 hour battery. Maybe the next one, but not the current one.

So the question is whether Apple should have waited with releasing the Mini or not, and that coimes down to whether you think Apple has the right to make money on something that doesn't meet your standards. The thing is a 6 hour Mini would not meet my standards in the same way that a non-retina Mini doesn't meet yours. Nor would a Mini that is thicker, heavier and runs hotter, and its already been shown that Apple can make a full sized Retina iPad that doesn't run noticibly hotter than the iPad 2.

In the end it's a simple thing, if the Mini doesn't meet your standards, don't buy it.
it's not flawed logic at all, and we are essentially saying the same thing but there seems to be a misunderstanding.

using your example of a graphics card - i said that apple has so much money and resources that it would be capable of developing its own custom graphics card that would provide extra graphics capabilities in the MBA 11". it wouldn't be cost effective for them to do so, with margins in mind.

back to what i said - battery technology is far behind the rest of the tech world. i said that apple has so much money it could develop its own battery technology (not design the physical layout, but develop new battery technology) if it really wanted to. however as i said in my original post, it wouldn't be cost effective.

i apologize for the misunderstanding, but my post was in response to the many people in here who are criticizing apple for not including a retina display. i was reminding them of the reason behind apple's decisions on this product
Medic311 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 10:17 AM   #21
maflynn
Moderator
 
maflynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Boston
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
I like the mini, but I don't have the balls to nearly say the screen is close to a retina iPad.
I certainly hope not since you're a girl

I know what you mean - good enough seems bad term to be used by CR in reviewing a product - its doesn't matter whether its an iPad or a nexus. They typically use satisfactory, unsatisfactory in their ratings and perhaps that should have been used.

I like my iPad mini but the screen is not a retina screen
maflynn is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 11:06 AM   #22
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem
 
GoCubsGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
I certainly hope not since you're a girl

I know what you mean - good enough seems bad term to be used by CR in reviewing a product - its doesn't matter whether its an iPad or a nexus. They typically use satisfactory, unsatisfactory in their ratings and perhaps that should have been used.

I like my iPad mini but the screen is not a retina screen
True, I have no balls. haha
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 11:27 AM   #23
ScottNWDW
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Orlando, Florida
Send a message via MSN to ScottNWDW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic311 View Post
back to what i said - battery technology is far behind the rest of the tech world. i said that apple has so much money it could develop its own battery technology (not design the physical layout, but develop new battery technology) if it really wanted to. however as i said in my original post, it wouldn't be cost effective.
I have not yet seen another tablet that states that they have a battery that lasts up to 10 hours. The iPad mini battery was re-designed to be thinner and lighter so that it could fit into the case. It is the thinnest ad lightest battery Apple has developed, and yet it still has the battery life we have all come to expect. Up to 10 hours
__________________
Scott
iMac, MacBook Pro, iPhone 5, iPad Retina Mini WiFi+Cell, iPad Air 2 WiFi+Cell, iPod Classic, Apple TV
ScottNWDW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 11:37 AM   #24
AlanFord
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cro
Quote:
Originally Posted by kappaknight View Post
Those other tablets are costing the companies money. The mini is making a profit. As a shareholder, I approve.
Doubt that mini will have such a impact. At least where I am, people are going away from mini.
AlanFord is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 12:01 PM   #25
akdj
macrumors 65816
 
akdj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic311 View Post
Regarding the iPad Mini 1st gen, the following 3 questions should be asked:

1) Was Apple capable of doing better? - yes
2) Should Apple have done better? -yes
3) Was it necessary for Apple to do better? - nope

#3 is why Apple didn't go "all-out" on the iPad Mini - they didn't have to. look how frustrating it has been to get an iPad Mini in a store, whether it's the Apple Store or Best Buy. why introduce new costs with higher resolution displays etc, when the focus point marketing studies already predicted how successful it would be (and predicted correctly). to top it off, Apple is selling every iPad Mini it gets in stock at the store. it wouldn't have made sense to introduce a Mini with higher costs.

#2 is just a personal opinion of mine, as they could have at least put a better resolution display in the Mini (maybe not Retina, but something in between)

#1 Apple has so much $$$ it could develop its own battery to meet the demands of Retina better
Amazing to me how some folks can arm chair quarterback the iPad Mini. It's pretty tough to find folks returning their minis because 'Apple could've done better'

As you've said, they're impossible to find and sitting atop the 'Most Wanted' Christmas gift wish list of many.

Battery technology is and has been improving---and evolving. I do believe Apple is using some of that cash for energy R&D---as well as a plethora of 'other' design and engineering challenges. My Mini is well exceeding Apple's 10 hour mark! It's amazing how long it lasts on a single charge

As far as your assertion that Apple could've landed somewhere between Retina and Non---then you're talking about a new resolution...and app incompatibility. That makes NO sense!!

It will come---Apple won't rest on their collective asses and not continue to 'better' the display. At this time, the technology is just NOT available in the yields they would need to bring a retina display to market AND get it in the hands of the masses...They're having a helluva time just getting these current models out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyb098 View Post
Sorry, I have to disagree. Colors are not on par with the retina iPad. They are on par with the iPad 2. There have already been tests on this and its obvious colors are not nearly as saturated as on the iPad 3/4. This is particularly noticeable on anything that is green or purple. The iTunes store icon for example looks obnoxiously undersaturated when comparing to the new iPad. And anything thats supposed to be green has a yellow tinge on the iPad mini/iPad2.

The mini only produces roughly 62% of the Adobe sRGB color spectrum while the iPad 3/4 product 95%+. Lets not get ahead of ourselves calling the iPad mini screen great. Its good not great. Colors are simply not as saturated.

http://www.displaymate.com/iPad_mini_ShootOut_1.htm
I don't think CR went so far as to say the colors were the same...they said the display is 'good'---as did Anand in his very lengthy review---and as would I after owning it and the iPad 3 and 4. No, it doesn't match the color gamut of it's big brother--BUT it's as good or better than MOST consumer monitors and TVs we use each day. The retina iPads are truly and most likely the MOST accurate monitors folks that are buying the iPads have ever owned!!!

Most folks aren't investing in professional NEC color calibrated monitors...they're using the bundled monitors that came with their rig or one of the dozens of sub $300 monitors at Best Buy.

The mini's screen IS good---it's not a color correction monitor for grading RED Raw footage---but for casual use; surfing, movies & music, FB, Twitter, etc...it's just fine. I don't remember these complaints pre-retina...nor do I hear it from MBP owners that aren't retina fortified. If one needs to fill in the Adobe or sRGB gamut, they'll invest in a high end monitor---Most folks will never own such a display...unless they do buy into the retina gear. As it becomes more ubiquitous, folks will enjoy the saturation of colors....but right now, in this day n age of a 'non retina' optimized internet...it's not necessary to enjoy 99% of folks' daily computing task 'needs'

The mini is an excellent piece of engineering...I love mine, and have since purchased one for my folks and another for my son as Christmas gifts. This coming from an iPad 3 & 4 owner, as well as the 15" rMBP

J
akdj is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Consumer reports very anti-iPhone write up phr0ze iPhone 11 Dec 4, 2013 04:40 AM
phones: Consumer Reports: Samsung Galaxy S4 is top phone ceva321 Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 32 May 26, 2013 12:25 PM
Sharp Reportedly Cutting iPad Display Production Amid Shift in Consumer Interest to iPad Mini MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 233 Jan 21, 2013 08:27 PM
Consumer Reports recommends the iPhone 5 samcraig iPhone 1 Oct 5, 2012 04:13 PM
Anyone catch the new Consumer Reports? davidra iPhone 13 Jul 4, 2012 04:54 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:48 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC