Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theturtle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 3, 2009
Hello.

Wanted to get some opinions. So i got a job to make some spending cash and started last week. I worked three times a week, and after one week I knew right off the back that i hated it, that it might not be for me. I would try to tough it out but in January, I am taking a prep course which makes my January brutal. Im afraid i wont be able to fully dedicate myself to my studies going back and forth to work (about a 2-3 hour round commute on the train). On the off days that I don't go to class, I would prefer to just do the prep hw and relax. But if i work, that opportunity goes away.

Do you guys recommend quitting asap or waiting for a bit?

if it matters, im working at a golds gym. Working behind a counter all day.

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
Hello.

Wanted to get some opinions. So i got a job to make some spending cash and started last week. I worked three times a week, and after one week I knew right off the back that i hated it, that it might not be for me. I would try to tough it out but in January, I am taking a prep course which makes my January brutal. Im afraid i wont be able to fully dedicate myself to my studies going back and forth to work (about a 2-3 hour round commute on the train). On the off days that I don't go to class, I would prefer to just do the prep hw and relax. But if i work, that opportunity goes away.

Just politely tell the manager that you are giving your two weeks notice. Explain to them that you dislike the work, and that you can't give them your best, and since you can't do that it isn't fair to them.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
What eric said. I was in a similar situation. If you didn't mind the work, it would be a different story but if you hate it, there really is no point of continuing especially if you're going to pursue further studies at school - it's not worth the time and stress.

Leet Apple

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2009
Canada
find another job before quitting would be my suggestion, i recently got a terrible job but i'm not planning to quit before i can get something else. $700 every two weeks is great for someone my age and no living expenses.

b3av3r

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2012
Louisiana
it depends on how much you need the money. if you are just working there for extra cash and won't miss the money then turn in a two weeks notice. if you need the money to pay bills and live then you just need to suck it up until you find another job.

shigzeo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2005
Japan
Hello.

Back in uni, I had no choice. In my final years, I held down a 24-35 hour a week job and did all my work. It's just something that happens. If you don't think you can hack it though, then maybe it's better to quit.

Still, uni was the least busy time in my life. Had I known what I know now, I'd probably not have graduated.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
If the money isn't an issue then just tell them the job isn't what you expected/isn't for you and offer to work out your two weeks. Most jobs like that see high turnover so they're used to situations like this, it's not a big deal.

hectorlito

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2012
I say stick it out for a bit. Especially in the economy. You never know when you will get another job so that spending money won't be available to you after you quit. You also don't know whether or not you can survive school and work yet. You said it has only been a week so you should give it some time!

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
It all boils down to choices. How much do you need to focus on your studies? How badly do you need spending money? How badly do you hate your job? Put them on your mental scale. Others can't do that for you. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.