Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Sep 18, 2005, 03:43 PM   #1
shaavisto
macrumors newbie

My PowerBook's Superdrive ejects CDs/DVDs right after I insert them!

Just yesterday when i turned on my powerbook, it ejected a DVD that had been in it for about a month. Naturally, I thought nothing of it and just tried re-inserting it. I heard the drive working, then after about 5 seconds make a noise and eject it again. This time I looked at the bottom of the DVD and saw two small brownish marks (burns??). The DVD smells somewhat burnt as well.
Now, with every CD or DVD i insert, the same thing happens - its fine for 5 seconds and then spits it back out before any icon appears on the desktop or anything. I bought this computer used off of eBay, and it no longer has warranty or applecare.
Does anyone have any idea about my situation at all (what exactly happened, how much it will cost to repair, etc.)?? Any advice or help or words of reassurance would be greately appreciated... I am scared.
shaavisto is offline   0
Old Sep 18, 2005, 06:59 PM   #2
northernleitz
macrumors member

What kind of Power Book are you talking about here? On titanium models, sometimes if the bottom isn't put on right (after a hard drive upgrade or other maintenance, for example) the DVD drive doesn't like DVDs anymore (as you describe). My own thought is that something is misaligned inside your case, and the resulting pressure on your DVD drive is the cause of your problem.

You can check apple.com's support pages for directions on removing/reinstalling the bottom of your computer, if that will help. Of course it requires a tiny (T8 or T6 if memory serves) torx driver.
northernleitz is offline   0
Old Sep 19, 2005, 12:45 PM   #3
londonweb
macrumors 6502

I'm having a similar problem with an ibook, although mine reads cds fine but won't entertain the idea of having a dvd in it for some reason. It used to, but then a couple of days ago it stopped working. I've actually posted a query about this here already, and the lack of response is very worrying
londonweb is offline   0
Old Sep 19, 2005, 06:51 PM   #4
shaavisto
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernleitz
What kind of Power Book are you talking about here? On titanium models, sometimes if the bottom isn't put on right (after a hard drive upgrade or other maintenance, for example) the DVD drive doesn't like DVDs anymore (as you describe). My own thought is that something is misaligned inside your case, and the resulting pressure on your DVD drive is the cause of your problem.

You can check apple.com's support pages for directions on removing/reinstalling the bottom of your computer, if that will help. Of course it requires a tiny (T8 or T6 if memory serves) torx driver.
I have an aluminum PB... I think the drive is probably just shot. I dunno... I'd appreciate any other suggestions or comments though.
shaavisto is offline   0
Old Sep 19, 2005, 07:04 PM   #5
jamesW135
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to jamesW135
Ive heard of burnig smels but never the actuall dvd getting burned. My oppinion that the drive is shot.

Face it Nikon is better.
jamesW135 is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers