Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

asenna

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2012
Is leaving the iPhone fully discharged (battery drained until it automatically shutoff) for about 8 hours bad for it? I know lipo's do not like to be discharged too much and car batteries typically lose large amounts of capacity when left under a certain voltage.

Just got this phone and was breaking in the battery but it died overnight and I didnt notice until morning.

lke

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2009
Don't worry too much for your iphone. It has a great battery that last for years.

My first generation iphone still works, also all my ipod and my ipad first generation.

The batteries that Apple use are very good.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I've done TONS of reading on batteries. Leaving it discharged overnight shouldn't hurt. For weeks? You might destroy it. Going below 20% should be avoided but from what I'm reading Apple may (or may not) already do that when it's 0% - leaving a % behind so it doesn't completely discharge.

I've NEVER completely discharged my iPhone (4s or 5). I don't believe in it. To keep my batteries healthy, I'll discharge them to 30% - 50% once a week or so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.