Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shaavisto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2005
Just yesterday when i turned on my powerbook, it ejected a DVD that had been in it for about a month. Naturally, I thought nothing of it and just tried re-inserting it. I heard the drive working, then after about 5 seconds make a noise and eject it again. This time I looked at the bottom of the DVD and saw two small brownish marks (burns??). The DVD smells somewhat burnt as well.
Now, with every CD or DVD i insert, the same thing happens - its fine for 5 seconds and then spits it back out before any icon appears on the desktop or anything. I bought this computer used off of eBay, and it no longer has warranty or applecare.
Does anyone have any idea about my situation at all (what exactly happened, how much it will cost to repair, etc.)?? Any advice or help or words of reassurance would be greately appreciated... I am scared.

toomuchrock

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2005
shaavisto said:
Now, with every CD or DVD i insert, the same thing happens - its fine for 5 seconds and then spits it back out before any icon appears on the desktop or anything. I bought this computer used off of eBay, and it no longer has warranty or applecare.
Does anyone have any idea about my situation at all (what exactly happened, how much it will cost to repair, etc.)?? Any advice or help or words of reassurance would be greately appreciated... I am scared.

This sharted happening to mine just a few days ago. So sad. I've beat the hell out of the thing though so I'm not exactly shocked. Umm I see that powerbookmedic.com has the SuperDrive for $240 and the Combo Drive for $190. So you can get 'em and replace 'em. They'll also do it though I'm not sure at what cost and at what turnaround (I asked but haven't gotten a response yet). I'm not sure how painful it is to do on your own. I know they also sell repair guides there and special tools and such.

Do they have competition in this market? CompUSA? Who?

PLEASE stay in tough and let me know what you decide so I can learn from your victory or mistakes. :)

I've also got some other nasty damage to the case (it was on my back when my scooter collided with a SUV at 40mph) which they also sell for $199 (just the bottom tray. So maybe I'll have them do all of it for $500 or maybe I'll just sell this one for $500 and buy a new one for $1500.

My AppleCare ran out in May but of course with the external damage to the beast, there is no way they'd touch it either way.

SiD

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.