Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Old Dec 2, 2012, 01:10 AM   #1
RiseDarthVader
macrumors member

FCP7 only using 13% of CPU while rendering

I'm editing a video in FCP7 and when I get the video to render as ProRes 422 it's only using 13% of my CPU according to Activity Monitor. It's not even working hard enough to get the fans on my MBP to spin faster in order to cool the CPU. My video under 10 mins is estimated to take 2 hours to render! Anyone know what could be causing this and how to fix it?
RiseDarthVader is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2012, 06:31 PM   #2
Zwhaler
macrumors 603

Sounds about right for legacy software. If you want rendering to be sped up significantly, using hyperthreading etc. you're gonna need Final Cut Pro X, Adobe Creative Suite, or other newer programs that use multi threading more efficiently and/or are 64 bit.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 11:42 AM   #3
Siderz
macrumors 6502a

Well unfortunately Final Cut Pro 7, while is probably the most intuitive application for video editing, isn't quite up to date under the hood.

Like RiseDarthVader suggested, you'll need something like Final Cut Pro X (The new Final Cut Pro, completely removes the pro from the application, but speeds it up - I think it speeds it up) or Adobe Premiere Pro.

I recommend Premiere Pro, and here's a video talking about Premiere Pro and Final Cut Pro X - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-yeKc0tC-8

I honestly do not recommend that you get Final Cut Pro X. It's certainly a lot cheaper, but it just isn't up to scratch right now compared to Final Cut Pro 7 or Premiere Pro.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 02:59 PM   #4
jonjiv
macrumors newbie

Like the previous two people said, there is nothing you can do to make Final Cut 7 use more of your CPU. The program is inherently limited to using only one core of your multi-core processor. This will never be fixed in FCP7, since Apple has moved on to FCPX. If you want faster render times, you'll definitely have to upgrade your software.

Now as far as the last guy's comments that FCPX isn't a pro level program, that is completely false. Its first release last year was lacking major features, but they've been since re-introduced. I'm a professional editor who owns FCP7, FCPX and Premiere CS5.5 and I use FCPX almost exclusively now. It is worlds better than FCP7 and just as capable as the newest version Premiere.

Download a full 30 day trial of the software here and check it out if you're unsure: http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/trial/

Last edited by jonjiv; Dec 3, 2012 at 03:37 PM. Reason: unnecessary apostrophe
jonjiv is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 03:18 PM   #5
SnowLeopard2008
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to SnowLeopard2008
I agree with the poster above. FCP X when first released was a bit lacking but with the updates since then it's every bit capable as FCP 7. I just used FCP X yesterday to edit a few videos for class and I used it on a few short film projects over summer. I did try using Premiere Pro (CS6) before and I found it had a relatively steeper learning curve and it wasn't as fast/efficient with system resources.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 04:43 PM   #6
Siderz
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjiv View Post
Now as far as the last guy's comments that FCPX isn't a pro level program, that is completely false. Its first release last year was lacking major features, but they've been since re-introduced. I'm a professional editor who owns FCP7, FCPX and Premiere CS5.5 and I use FCPX almost exclusively now. It is worlds better than FCP7 and just as capable as the newest version Premiere.
I actually haven't touched FCPX for quite some time.

Looking at the webpage now, dual viewers and copy & paste attributes is definitely a step forward.

But honestly I don't think it's as up to scratch as Pp.

I'm only staying on Mac in case FCPX improves enough for my liking.

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video