Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sjpetry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 28, 2004
Tamarindo, Costa Rica
Hi everyone.

I am in search of a sound recording app. I will be doing some amateur sound recording for my band and GarageBand is not sufficient for my microphone work. I would like the program to have filters for cleaning up the audio and adding effects. I would also prefer it to be easy enough to use that I don't have to read manuals for hours and get help online (like GarageBand). Price doesn't matter.

Am I asking too much?
Any help will greatly appreciated.

Thanks MacRumors. :)

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Be interesting to know why GarageBand isn't sufficient for your purposes.

In any event, your dream of a "Manual-less" experience will die a hard death. Any advanced audio programs is, well... advanced.

If you want to do serious audio cleanup on stereo sources, Bias Peak and SoundSoap are worth looking at. There are also some worthy shareware programs, check versiontracker.com

If you want more than 2 tracks of audio, you need to look at one of the digital audio programs: Cubase, Logic, Digital Performer, ProTools. Most of these are available in several versions. They all suppport "plug ins" of various kinds for filtering, time-domain, amplitude and frequency-domain effects. Some have plug ins for noise reduction. Some of the plug ins cost extra.

It also depends what you mean by cleaning up. A recorded hum, or the drums leaking into the vocal track, are problems with recording technique that are largely not fixable after the fact.

You will also need to consider whether you need to improve your audio interface, microphones or outboard equipment in order to get better results. (you haven't given us any details on these)

Recommendation: Go to the library and get some books and/or magazines on recording technique. Good mags to read are: Sound on Sound, Recording, Electronic Musician, Keyboard, Future Music, Computer Music and Mix (roughly in that order of preference). You can make a huge difference in recorded sound quality just by following good recording practices.

wrxguy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2005
Deepest Regions of Hell
well garageband is by far the easiest to use...but i do agree that the mic recording is lacking as is any audio input recording....I would recomend Logic for what you should use...its not simple but if you need good recording and want to use the different fliters and such you are going to have to read some manuals...Logic is an AWSOME prog and works great...others I would recomend would be "Live Lite" or if you REALLY want to mean business use "Reason".. anyone that does much recording for bands or anything like that would tell you Reason (once you get the hang of the damn thing) is the best... also make sure you have a pretty good mic and run it through a preamp to get the best recording...check out M-Audio they have alot of good stuff

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
sjpetry said:
GarageBand is not sufficient for my microphone work. I would like the program to have filters for cleaning up the audio and adding effects.

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking, but if you're saying you don't like the sound quality that you're getting recording through your mic into garage band then you need a better mic, not different software.

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
A couple of points:

Reason doesn't support audio recording.

Garageband supports AU plug-ins, and supports audio recording up to CD standard, you might want to simply buy a couple of decent FX plug-ins.

Logic is excellent, but is total overkill if all you want is audio editing, the learning curve is almost vertical for a beginner...

Protools LE (either the m-box or the m-powered version) is pretty straightforward and very powerful, and is effectively an all in one solution. I would recommend it.

If you only want stereo, I suggest BIAS peak (which does come free with Final Cut and DVD Studio Pro.

Others comments about mics and pre-amps are well founded, as your recordings are only ever going to be as good as the original source and signal chain.

quigleybc

macrumors 68030
wrxguy said:
Reason (once you get the hang of the damn thing) is the best...

Reason doesn't record anything, I wish it did but.....

I think you should stick with Garageband, learn how to ue it to it's maximum potential, and invest in some good hardwear, like mics and pre-amps, and whatnot. Also Bias Soundsoap is great for cleaning up signals.

sjpetry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 28, 2004
Tamarindo, Costa Rica
What I was meaning when I said I wasn't happy with GarageBands vocal support was that the program doesn't have much in the support for mics. In GarageBand their is no way to EQ the mics.(That I know of).

.:*Robot Boy*:.

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2005
New Zealand
sjpetry said:
What I was meaning when I said I wasn't happy with GarageBands vocal support was that the program doesn't have much in the support for mics. In GarageBand their is no way to EQ the mics.(That I know of).

Hit the + button, choose 'Real Instrument' > 'Show All' > 'Vocals' > select a vocal preset > hit 'Create'.

Now, record something, double click on that track (on the left hand side, where the name of the track is). You should recognise the box that pops up. Click the arrow beside 'Details...', make sure the 'Equaliser' box is checked and that it is set to 'Manual'. Now click on the pen next to the Equaliser drop-down menu and you have a simple EQ.

So, there is a way to EQ your recorded tracks, it's just buried and somewhat limited. I guess it's just Apple's way of making everything seem simple. Personally, I find Garageband to be an over-simplistic audio application, but, on the flip-side, most of the stuff in iPhoto goes over my head :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.