Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andymac2210

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 18, 2011
So, when my MBP is closed, asleep and plugged in, I hear it waking up when I disconnect the magsafe adapter.

What's the deal with that?

lci3341

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2007
I have this problem too... Tried search everywhere for an answer without luck. Seems to occur whenever the magsafe adapter is removed or after it is plugged in (if the macbook is asleep initially).

Spins the superdrive but doesn't actually turn on the monitor or the apple logo on the lid.

let me know if you find an answer

switon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
RE: pmset acwake 0/1

Hi all,

Yes, you can set the power management on your laptop so that it will not wake up when the power source is changed. First do the Terminal command:

Code:
pmset -g

and you should see near the bottom the acwake parameter. This "acwake" parameter determines if the laptop is awakened when the power source is changed (values = 0 or 1). You can set this using the command (you will need root/administrator privileges to change these settings):

Code:
pmset -a acwake 1

or reset it using:

Code:
pmset -a acwake 0

Using the "pmset -g" command will give you the current state of this parameter. This "acwake" parameter also interacts with the Disk sleep modes, so you will most likely also have to set the "disksleep" parameter accordingly. The -a, -b, -c, and -u flags control the states for which the parameters are being set. See the "man pmset" manpage for details.

You might also notice that you can set other interesting parameters, such as the one controlling whether opening the lid wakes the laptop or not.

Regards,
Switon

piii666

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2011
Kraków, Poland
I know this is old thread, but it is still being experienced, even on the newest Mavericks version.

There are lots of threads about it on apple's discussion forums, acwake is ignored and when you detach (attach) the AC adapter your mac briefly awakes to ... fall asleep again - it take around 30s, which is annoying as you don't want to throw your mac into backpack while hard drives is spinning...

Hi all,

Yes, you can set the power management on your laptop so that it will not wake up when the power source is changed. First do the Terminal command:

Code:
pmset -g

and you should see near the bottom the acwake parameter. This "acwake" parameter determines if the laptop is awakened when the power source is changed (values = 0 or 1). You can set this using the command (you will need root/administrator privileges to change these settings):

Code:
pmset -a acwake 1

or reset it using:

Code:
pmset -a acwake 0

Using the "pmset -g" command will give you the current state of this parameter. This "acwake" parameter also interacts with the Disk sleep modes, so you will most likely also have to set the "disksleep" parameter accordingly. The -a, -b, -c, and -u flags control the states for which the parameters are being set. See the "man pmset" manpage for details.

You might also notice that you can set other interesting parameters, such as the one controlling whether opening the lid wakes the laptop or not.

Regards,
Switon

pierino84

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2007
Rome, Italy
Everyone who is having the same issue: please report it through the Apple feedback system. It is just unaccettable that a mac does not follow its own pmset rules, and forces the user to wait until it goes back to sleep.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.