Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Oct 11, 2013, 08:03 AM   #1
activate
macrumors regular

Best Keyboard format for photoshop/FCP work

Hi,

About to order an iMac for the purpose of learning and using it for video editing and photography work. Is there a preferred keyboard setup for current users of this ?

The lighter wired keyboard and mouse or the wireless keyboard and magicmouse/trackpad.

Thanks.
activate is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2013, 03:05 AM   #2
alksion
macrumors 65816

Send a message via Skype™ to alksion
Quote:
Originally Posted by activate View Post
Hi,

About to order an iMac for the purpose of learning and using it for video editing and photography work. Is there a preferred keyboard setup for current users of this ?

The lighter wired keyboard and mouse or the wireless keyboard and magicmouse/trackpad.

Thanks.
Wired numeric keyboard.
alksion is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2013, 06:56 AM   #3
activate
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alksion View Post
Wired numeric keyboard.
Thanks, that was my preference but I wasn't sure if the trackpad might have been useful in manipulating drawings/videos.
Old Oct 12, 2013, 07:58 AM   #4
cupcakes2000
macrumors 6502

I would get the trackpad over a mouse, and I would highly recommend a graphics tablet for photoshop work.
Old Oct 12, 2013, 08:10 AM   #5
activate
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakes2000 View Post
I would get the trackpad over a mouse, and I would highly recommend a graphics tablet for photoshop work.
Ok hadn't ventured to that yet. Whats one that has good compatibility with a mac. I am guessing waycom would be a recommended one.
Old Oct 12, 2013, 08:17 AM   #6
cupcakes2000
macrumors 6502

Wacom for sure. Just get a basic one. Pen and touch I think it's called. I have one. It was 60 or something. You really need one with photoshop to be honest. You can spend much more money, and I got this model to see if it was really worth it. Thinking I would upgrade. It is really worth it! I don't need to even upgrade. For my usage it's awesome.
Old Oct 12, 2013, 08:24 AM   #7
activate
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakes2000 View Post
Wacom for sure. Just get a basic one. Pen and touch I think it's called. I have one. It was 60 or something. You really need one with photoshop to be honest. You can spend much more money, and I got this model to see if it was really worth it. Thinking I would upgrade. It is really worth it! I don't need to even upgrade. For my usage it's awesome.
Thanks for the tip. What do you think of this one http://buywacom.com.au/products/pen-...blets-new.html
Also, do you think a trackpad is still necessary if I get the tablet. I am assuming that it can be used for gestures as well ?
Old Oct 12, 2013, 08:55 AM   #8
Bear
macrumors G3

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks.
Wired keyboard. and magicmouse or trackpad. You may decide to get a third party mouse anyway so it might be best to get the trackpad.
Old Oct 12, 2013, 08:58 AM   #9
cupcakes2000
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Thanks for the tip. What do you think of this one http://buywacom.com.au/products/pen-...blets-new.html
Also, do you think a trackpad is still necessary if I get the tablet. I am assuming that it can be used for gestures as well ?
Never used those, but I imagine they would be fine! Mine is the very bottom of the range I think, and it's great, so you can't go wrong. With Wacom anyway.

One thing though. The touch part of the tablet really is next to useless compared to a Macbook trackpad. I would go with an Apple track pad for sure. I haven't ever used a large stand alone one.. but it's going to be comparable or better with the one on my Macbook pro.

And you can use the two in conjunction very easily as well, it's difficult to describe what I mean, but the pen in one hand and the other using the keyboard and clicking/two finger scrolling/various gestures on the trackpad. I think, for me at least, a mouse is obsolete. With these two items.
Old Oct 12, 2013, 02:35 PM   #10
alksion
macrumors 65816

Send a message via Skype™ to alksion
Quote:
Thanks, that was my preference but I wasn't sure if the trackpad might have been useful in manipulating drawings/videos.
I have a track pad and have never touched it once in Premiere. I only use my Logitech Performance MX mouse for all tasks.
Old Oct 12, 2013, 02:41 PM   #11
phrehdd
macrumors 68000

another vote for

wired keyboard with numeric keys
Intuos or similar tablet pad

my personal preference for a cursor device - Kensington Trackball (full pool ball sized ball)

It is all a matter of personal tastes and ergonomics. Strangely, the Intuos is easier for me to use than the Cintiq under certain instances.
phrehdd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2013, 04:52 AM   #12
activate
macrumors regular

Thanks guys. Wired keyboard it is. I haven't ordered the intuous touch waycom yet but it looks like that'll be it. I just need to understand a little more about the differences in the 3 models they offer.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac