Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 2, 2012, 12:57 PM   #1
Buckeye Fan
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
First Time Post & First Time Mac - Need Advice

I would love your advice on the best computer for us. As the title says, this is our first Apple computer, and I'm hoping to keep it around 4-5 yrs.

Our PC mother board died (just turned 3), and we've decided to buy an Mac. I decided on an iMac because our monitor, keyboard and mouse are older (about 7 years). When I looked at a mini, by the time I buy the a new monitor, I might as well buy the iMac.

Right now, I have an out of the box, 21.5" iMac on order ($1299 model). The 27" is not even a consideration, as I don't have the room for it (roll-top desk has a height limitation). The Apple rep I spoke with swore the $1299 out of the box would be plenty for us. Here's how we use a computer:
- mostly web browsing
- very light photo editing
- burn dvds
- no simulation games (still think hubby and son will rely on Xbox for this)

So given what I've listed above, was I given good advice, and should I stick with my current order? In advance, I really appreciate your thoughts and advice!

Last edited by Buckeye Fan; Dec 2, 2012 at 01:11 PM.
Buckeye Fan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2012, 01:06 PM   #2
DarrenUK
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Southampton, UK
Well you won't beable to burn DVDs unless you have purchased a separate DVD drive/burner. The new iMac has no DVD drive built in.
DarrenUK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2012, 01:08 PM   #3
Ademordna
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: UK
I'd go with the Apple rep, sounds just great - enjoy!
Ademordna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2012, 01:10 PM   #4
Buckeye Fan
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenUK View Post
Well you won't beable to burn DVDs unless you have purchased a separate DVD drive/burner. The new iMac has no DVD drive built in.
Sure did. Thanks for mentioning that!
Buckeye Fan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2012, 01:22 PM   #5
MeFromHere
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Fan View Post
I would love your advice on the best computer for us. As the title says, this is our first Apple computer, and I'm hoping to keep it around 4-5 yrs.

Our PC mother board died (just turned 3), and we've decided to buy an Mac. I decided on an iMac because our monitor, keyboard and mouse are older (about 7 years). When I looked at a mini, by the time I buy the a new monitor, I might as well buy the iMac.

Right now, I have an out of the box, 21.5" iMac on order ($1299 model). The 27" is not even a consideration, as I don't have the room for it (roll-top desk has a height limitation). The Apple rep I spoke with swore the $1299 out of the box would be plenty for us. Here's how we use a computer:
- mostly web browsing
- very light photo editing
- burn dvds
- no simulation games (still think hubby and son will rely on Xbox for this)

So given what I've listed above, was I given good advice, and should I stick with my current order? In advance, I really appreciate your thoughts and advice!
The system should be fine for your needs. You'll need an external DVD drive, from Apple or some other vendor.

Buy an external USB 3.0 disk drive for backups. Plug it in and configure the Time Machine software.

Enjoy the new machine!
MeFromHere is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2012, 01:43 PM   #6
Buckeye Fan
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Thanks so much, everyone! The rep said my iMac should be here Tuesday, and I'm so excited considering we haven't had a working home computer since April! The iPads were working quite nicely until the kids started school and needed to print! Unfortunately, we don't have a wireless printer. Fortunately, those are relatively inexpensive these days. Have a happy holiday!
Buckeye Fan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2012, 01:49 PM   #7
DarrenUK
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Southampton, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Fan View Post
Thanks so much, everyone! The rep said my iMac should be here Tuesday, and I'm so excited considering we haven't had a working home computer since April! The iPads were working quite nicely until the kids started school and needed to print! Unfortunately, we don't have a wireless printer. Fortunately, those are relatively inexpensive these days. Have a happy holiday!
Enjoy your new iMac when it arrives.
DarrenUK is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:56 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC