Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PalacePlayers

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2011
Playing music over AirPlay on iTunes 11, running on my brand new Retina MacBook Pro 15" (running 10.8.2) is not a pleasant experience. From time to time, the music starts glitching, and it sounds like you slowly disconnect minijack out from your music player or something. After glitching like this for a couple of seconds, the music disappears completaly for a minute or two.

The only thing that helps is to turn off AirPlay and then turn it on again. Which is, to say the least, extremely annoying. For the record, the AirPort Express is the newest Apple TV-alike version, and is located about 15 cm from the computer. The AirPort Express is connected to the Time Capsule, which is about 2 m from the MacBook.

Anyone with the same problem? Is there a fix? Playing music suddenly became a nightmare..

Last edited:

seniorchang

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2012
I have the same problem. AirPlay sometimes just stops for several minutes and then suddenl it works again.
I guess it's a bug.

ep2002

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2008
I came on macrumors searching for an answer to this too. Upgraded to iTunes 11 on my 2007 iMac and its just like the OP describes. The music over AirPlay will just randomly cut off and sometimes iTunes tells me that my AirPlay is not available.
Oh well, I'll keep trouble shooting this problem and will check back again. Hopefully this isn't an IPv6 issue again.

PalacePlayers

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2011
Seems like this is a bug then. Gotta admit I'm pretty dissapointed we see crippling bugs like this on a flagship feature, on a flagship software that was one month delayed.

However if we all submit feedback here, we might get a fix sooner rather than later.
http://www.apple.com/feedback/itunesapp.html

apunkrockmonk

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2005
Rochester, NY
Apple TVs needed a software update for AirPlay to work correctly. It's possible that the Airport Express is no different and also needs an update. Just speculation though.

Had a party last night, used multiple source airplay all night with no problems to report. They were Apple TV 2s however.

newbreed23

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
Same problem here. Late 2009 iMac to original Apple TV (first gen). Kept stopping and pausing and giving errors all day yesterday. Also, syncing was incredibly slow! I had to stop the sync. Disappointing.

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
In my case it's even worse - since using iTunes 11 my airplay symbol disappeared and as a result music streaming to my ATV 2 isn't possible any more. When I minimize the player the symbol reappears - but still no Apple TV is detected.

I reconfigured my WLAN router and my WLAN settings on the Macbook Air - nothing changed. My iPhone though is always able to connect to the ATV. I am also able to browse my Macbook Air's media content using ATV - so I actually don't think this is a network issue at all.

Switching of IPv6 wasn't any help either. Anyone else having this issue?

benelfreako

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2012
In my case it's even worse - since using iTunes 11 my airplay symbol disappeared and as a result music streaming to my ATV 2 isn't possible any more. When I minimize the player the symbol reappears - but still no Apple TV is detected.

I reconfigured my WLAN router and my WLAN settings on the Macbook Air - nothing changed. My iPhone though is always able to connect to the ATV. I am also able to browse my Macbook Air's media content using ATV - so I actually don't think this is a network issue at all.

Same issue, but add an Airport Express which also works just fine with everything except the laptop. On Windows 7.

apunkrockmonk

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2005
Rochester, NY

Did you update your ATV2?

TheBearman

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2008
Cary, NC
ATV3 2009 iMac running 10.6. Worked just fine until iTunes 11. I'm finding that the "stall" occurs ever 45 minutes during a movie. I find I need to direct airplay to some other point (computer) then back to the ATV to recover until the next 45 minute point. Wishing I could roll back to iTunes 10 easily.

Geezer135

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2012
AirPlay unusable in iTunes 11

I'm having the same Airplay problem with my MacBook Pro / Time Capsule / 2 AirPort Express routers and an Apple TV. With iTunes 11 the music starts glitching on & off. It's very annoying. This problem started when I updated to iTunes 11 (I wish I never had).
I contacted Apple regarding this problem and they could not give any advise or help regarding this issue other than I delete and reinstall iTunes (which I'm not going to do) . I sent in a problem report to Apple and hope they will realize this problem.

dgbricker

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2012
Itunes and Missing Airplay Selection

Airplay was working on iTunes, but quit after version 11 update. Here is some but some information:
layout:
2 x Apple TV (1gen and 2nd gen)
1 x Mac Air (airplay not working)
1 x Mac Mini (working airplay)
1 x Windows Box (working airplay)
1 x iPhone (working Airplay)
2 x iPad (working Airplay)
1 x Linksys (Cisco) (Wireless N access point)

Now for the interesting point. The Mac Air will show Airplay when I plug in a wired connection. If the Mac Air is put back on Wireless alone, the airplay icon on the full iTunes disappears. Note the Airplay icon is still visible in the mini-player, but the other devices (apple TVs) are not shown. It is also worth noting the iPADs and the iPhone work wirelessly via airplay.

The Mac Air, while not able to connect via Airplay, the Apple TV does see the Mac Air and can connect to the Mac Air and play from the Mac Air's library.

Not a betting man, but I would guess somewhere in iTunes the logic is making a decision on whether to allow based on the wired/wireless connection.

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
Any of you guys see an improvement with 11.0.1?

The disappearing Airplay button in fullscreen mode is fixed for me AND more importantly it seems that my ATV is being located by my Macbook not only on a random basis. So I hope that reseting my router every two days or so belongs to the past.

But the weekend will show the truth cause this is the time of heavy usage....

PS: No, it's not fixed :eek:

Last edited:

BadboyHouse

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2011
I've got exactly the same problems with music cutting out when streaming from my MBP to my AirportExpress.

It used to work perfectly before upgrading to iTunes 11.0.1.

You start playing some music then a minute or so later it starts to cut out. It's very annoying.

It's got to be a bug with iTunes as my iPhone streams to the AirPort Express perfectly and never ever cuts out.

Will it ever get fixed?

BjamesT

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2013
A not-perfect fix

I've had this problem intermittently for years, and have never found a fail-safe solution, but I did just recently create a setup that seems to be working.

I had identified several issues and addressed them individually.

One of the things that I noticed was that the analog line out was a piece of crap cable, and when it was slightly loose I would see a red light suggesting that the AX thought it was connected via optical cable. So I bought an optical cable. Aside from the huge improvement in sound, it made the dropping situation better - but not fixed.

Then I started playing with channels (I live in a condo and there are tons of networks in range) to find a relatively unused channel (3). Again, improvement but not fixed.

Then I moved the AX closer to the iMac, or more accurately away from the stereo and speakers. Again, little improvement but still dropping.

Then I said screw it and set up a completely separate network explicitly for the music (I have am ISP supplied wireless modem) and activated "Interference Robustness" and made sure the new network was not on the internet (after initial setup). This is where I'm at and on Monday had uninterrupted music for over 6 hours.

I was listening again last night and had one very short drop (1-2 seconds) and a couple of hiccups that sounded more like skipping than an actual drop.

So, at least for me, it seems the major culprit (though not the exclusive culprit) was radio interference.

Setup:
iMac with Mountain Lion and iTunes 11.0.1 (early 2008)
iPhone 4s iOS 6 (for remote and occasional airplay)
Airport Express G Firmware 6.3 (2005)
Optical connection to Yamaha receiver.

MasterHowl

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
North of England
I had the problem with iTunes 10 as well.

Music would cut out for a few minutes, be crackly or very quiet. Very annoying considering Apple are really pushing to move away from any wires at all in your set up...

(MacBook Pro 15 inch mid-2009, using one of the "wall socket" AirPort Expresses)

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
Airplay was working on iTunes, but quit after version 11 update. Here is some but some information:
layout:
2 x Apple TV (1gen and 2nd gen)
1 x Mac Air (airplay not working)
1 x Mac Mini (working airplay)
1 x Windows Box (working airplay)
1 x iPhone (working Airplay)
2 x iPad (working Airplay)
1 x Linksys (Cisco) (Wireless N access point)

Now for the interesting point. The Mac Air will show Airplay when I plug in a wired connection. If the Mac Air is put back on Wireless alone, the airplay icon on the full iTunes disappears. Note the Airplay icon is still visible in the mini-player, but the other devices (apple TVs) are not shown. It is also worth noting the iPADs and the iPhone work wirelessly via airplay.

The Mac Air, while not able to connect via Airplay, the Apple TV does see the Mac Air and can connect to the Mac Air and play from the Mac Air's library.

Not a betting man, but I would guess somewhere in iTunes the logic is making a decision on whether to allow based on the wired/wireless connection.

Check out my post above from the 3rd of December - exactly the same behavior with exactly the same devices - iOS devices seem more stable when working with Airplay - god knows why.

Hoping 10.8.3 with its focus on Airplay and Wireless issues does the job.

Last edited:

Europe calling

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2007
The Netherlands
iTunes 11.03, Airplay issues even worse

After updating to iTunes 11.0.3 airplay hiccups ar even worse!@!!
Playing streaming music from my MBP to my Airport Express is my main source of music, but this is horrible. Tried different frequencies on my Airport to check if that would make a difference but problems only occur whenm iTunes is involved. :mad:

CleverTrousers

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2008
I had the same Airplay cutouts recently playing sounds from the Ambiance & White Noise iPhone apps to a Sonos system via an Airport Express (the AE itself has wireless disabled, and gets its network connection from an Ethernet cable plugged into the Sonos speaker).

Can't remember if I read it here or extrapolated from these suggestions, but setting my AirPort Extreme to allow only 802.11n - not a/b/g/n - on the 5 GHz band seemed to clear things up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.