Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Sep 26, 2013, 06:33 AM   #1
whitedragon101
macrumors 6502a

SMART UTILITY - Run this test chances are a fair few peoples systems will fail

My system had been running slow and beachballing but disk util said HD passed. I ran this

http://www.volitans-software.com/smart_utility.php

and it said HD failing. I took it into the apple store and their and their surface test said passed, their HD specific test said FAILED in big red letters. The guy said yep its failing we will replace it. (incidentally he asked for the name of the utility to put on his own Mac)

Its free and takes 30 seconds to do. It reads your drives SMART data and says if its failing. If it is then backup and apple will replace your HD on warranty.

I ran it on a couple of friends systems who said their system is running slow and beach-balling. Result = HD was failing and apple replaced it.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store