Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Dec 2, 2012, 03:05 PM   #1
2012Tony2012
macrumors 6502a

SuperDuper and Time Machine on same HDD?

I have an 500GB External hard drive that I want to use for my Imac to make complete SuperDuper backup images onto and then also to use to make Time Machine backups.

Can someone please tell me my exact steps needed to make that happen?

Do I need to format the 500GB External hard drive into 2 partitions? And if so, how do I format the 500GB External hard drive? What file system for both partitions and what application do I use to create 2 partitions and to format the 500GB External hard drive?

Please if someone could give me a step by step guide I would really appreciate it and be very grateful
2012Tony2012 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2012, 05:36 PM   #2
old-wiz
macrumors 604

split the HDD into two partitions, use one for superduper and one for time machine. use osx extended journaled. they won't coexist on one partition.
old-wiz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2012, 06:17 PM   #3
2012Tony2012
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by old-wiz View Post
split the HDD into two partitions, use one for superduper and one for time machine. use osx extended journaled. they won't coexist on one partition.
How do I make 2 partitions? In iMac?

And I read that Journaling is best suited for servers requiring high availability, servers containing volumes with many files, and servers containing data that is backed up at infrequent intervals... That's what Apple Website says.

So seeing journaled can slow down system performance, why use it? Especially seeing I am not running an intense server and seeing I rarely get power cut off and even if I did, it wouldn't matter.

Last edited by 2012Tony2012; Dec 2, 2012 at 06:18 PM. Reason: E
Old Dec 2, 2012, 06:17 PM   #4
ECUpirate44
Banned

Use disk utility.
ECUpirate44 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2012, 06:19 PM   #5
2012Tony2012
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECUpirate44 View Post
Use disk utility.
So use iMac disk utility to create 2 partitions? Then tell SuperDuper to use one and tell TM to use the other?

And is it possible to tell TM to only backup once per day instead of every hour?
Old Dec 2, 2012, 06:21 PM   #6
ECUpirate44
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Tony2012 View Post
So use iMac disk utility to create 2 partitions? Then tell SuperDuper to use one and tell TM to use the other?

And is it possible to tell TM to only backup once per day instead of every hour?
Yep. And no, but just plug in the drive when you want to back up and unplug it when you're done.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 06:30 PM   #7
rnb2
macrumors regular

Quote:
I have an 500GB External hard drive that I want to use for my Imac to make complete SuperDuper backup images onto and then also to use to make Time Machine backups.

Can someone please tell me my exact steps needed to make that happen?

Do I need to format the 500GB External hard drive into 2 partitions? And if so, how do I format the 500GB External hard drive? What file system for both partitions and what application do I use to create 2 partitions and to format the 500GB External hard drive?

Please if someone could give me a step by step guide I would really appreciate it and be very grateful
You don't have to do anything special - SuperDuper! is smart enough to recognize a Time Machine folder and leave it alone. Just plug the drive in and let Time Machine run at least once to create the backup folder, then run SuperDuper! as normal. Make sure (as always) that you are running the latest version of SuperDuper, of course, but this capability has been there since shortly after Time Machine arrived.
rnb2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2012, 07:44 PM   #8
hfg
macrumors 68020

If you elect to put both on the same partition, be aware that TimeMachine will continually grow in size to eventually consume all available disk space. This may not be an issue with your setup and time frame, but you should realize that you may encounter a full disk at some point and SuperDuper will be unable to accommodate additional files.
hfg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2012, 07:48 PM   #9
2012Tony2012
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECUpirate44 View Post
Yep. And no, but just plug in the drive when you want to back up and unplug it when you're done.
I found this app, it seems to be able to alter when TM does backups?

http://timesoftware.free.fr/timemachineeditor/

Anyone used it?
Old Dec 3, 2012, 12:56 PM   #10
ECUpirate44
Banned

Quote:
I found this app, it seems to be able to alter when TM does backups?

http://timesoftware.free.fr/timemachineeditor/

Anyone used it?
No, but it seems to be a simple utility. Give it a go.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 03:44 AM   #11
2012Tony2012
macrumors 6502a

I've created a Time Machine backup on my external USB HDD, and now I want to do a SuperDuper backup.

But if I keep using the same HDD for Time Machine backups, won't the Time Machine backups eventually start deleting the SuperDuper backup?
Old Dec 4, 2012, 04:56 AM   #12
old-wiz
macrumors 604

Quote:
I've created a Time Machine backup on my external USB HDD, and now I want to do a SuperDuper backup.

But if I keep using the same HDD for Time Machine backups, won't the Time Machine backups eventually start deleting the SuperDuper backup?
Time machine will eventually start overwriting the time machine backups, not superduper backups. However once Time machine fills the free space your next attempt to run superduper may fail if it needs more space.

To be truly safe, I keep them on separate physical drives; then if the physical drive fails you have only lost one or the other, not both.
old-wiz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 04:25 PM   #13
2012Tony2012
macrumors 6502a

I ended up deciding to create 2 partitions, one called Time Machine and the other SuperDuperBackup.

When I get more money I will buy a second USB HDD to use TM and SD on separate hard drives. But in the meantime I need to use them both on the same hard drive with 2 separate partitions.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 04:35 PM   #14
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
I ended up deciding to create 2 partitions, one called Time Machine and the other SuperDuperBackup.

When I get more money I will buy a second USB HDD to use TM and SD on separate hard drives. But in the meantime I need to use them both on the same hard drive with 2 separate partitions.
I recommend Carbon Copy Cloner for creating bootable backups, as it also clones the OS X recovery partition, which SuperDuper! doesn't do.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 04:44 PM   #15
slffl
macrumors 65816

I'm not sure how SuperDuper works, but Time Machine just creates a folder. You don't need to dedicate a partition to it. If SuperDuper works similar, then you just need one partition and both apps can use it.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 04:53 PM   #16
talmy
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by slffl View Post
If SuperDuper works similar, then you just need one partition and both apps can use it.
It isn't similar. It makes a clone (functional duplicate) of the source drive, so as soon as you run it the Time Machine backup will be deleted.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 04:56 PM   #17
2012Tony2012
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
I recommend Carbon Copy Cloner for creating bootable backups, as it also clones the OS X recovery partition, which SuperDuper! doesn't do.
I am using Snow Leopard and SL doesn't create a OS X recovery partition, so I don't need to backup a OS X recovery partition as I don't have one. AFAIK, the OS X recovery partition only began with Lion? So SuperDuper will be OK?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by talmy View Post
It isn't similar. It makes a clone (functional duplicate) of the source drive, so as soon as you run it the Time Machine backup will be deleted.
Hi there One Eye

So you think what I did in creating TM for it's own partition and SD with it's own partition was a good idea?
Old Dec 4, 2012, 04:57 PM   #18
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
I am using Snow Leopard and SL doesn't create a OS X recovery partition.
Since you didn't specify your version, it seemed appropriate to mention it.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 05:00 PM   #19
2012Tony2012
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Since you didn't specify your version, it seemed appropriate to mention it.
Agreed. And as soon as I move up to Lion or Mountain Lion, I will start using CCC to backup rescue partition as well.

BY the way, why is it important to backup the rescue partition? It isn't touched or modified is it and should always be there as is? And if I do a clean install it's created again anyway, isn't it?
Old Dec 4, 2012, 05:04 PM   #20
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Agreed. And as soon as I move up to Lion or Mountain Lion, I will start using CCC to backup rescue partition as well.

BY the way, why is it important to backup the rescue partition? It isn't touched or modified is it and should always be there as is? And if I do a clean install it's created again anyway, isn't it?
It would come in handy if your internal drive failed completely. You wouldn't have to re-create it or reinstall anything; just boot from your CCC backup. There are a few other slight advantages to CCC, which is why I prefer it, but SD works fine.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 05:36 PM   #21
2012Tony2012
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
It would come in handy if your internal drive failed completely. You wouldn't have to re-create it or reinstall anything; just boot from your CCC backup. There are a few other slight advantages to CCC, which is why I prefer it, but SD works fine.
Good point. Thank you.

Do you mind if I asked what other few slight advantages to CCC are there that I may not be aware of? And are you talking about the Free SD and Free CCC, because I can't buy any of them at this stage so need to use the free version.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 05:40 PM   #22
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Good point. Thank you.

Do you mind if I asked what other few slight advantages to CCC are there that I may not be aware of? And are you talking about the Free SD and Free CCC, because I can't buy any of them at this stage so need to use the free version.
You can use 3.5.1 ($40) or 3.4.7 (free, and works well on OS X 10.6, 10.7 and 10.8).

The features work the same in both versions. CCC also does incremental backups, which the free version of SD doesn't do.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 05:45 PM   #23
2012Tony2012
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
You can use 3.5.1 ($40) or 3.4.7 (free, and works well on OS X 10.6, 10.7 and 10.8).

The features work the same in both versions. CCC also does incremental backups, which the free version of SD doesn't do.
I thought only the PAID version of CCC does incremental backups?
Old Dec 4, 2012, 05:46 PM   #24
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
I thought only the PAID version of CCC does incremental backups?
No, the free version does, as well. All the features of the paid version are also in the free version. Until recently, the free (donationware) version was the only version.

Carbon Copy Cloner now a paid app (V 3.5.0)
Old Dec 4, 2012, 05:50 PM   #25
2012Tony2012
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
No, the free version does, as well. All the features of the paid version are also in the free version. Until recently, the free (donationware) version was the only version.

Carbon Copy Cloner now a paid app (V 3.5.0)
Awesome thanks!!!

Now all I have to figure out is how to uninstall SuperDuper completely lol. How do I uninstall apps on iMac and remove all associated files?

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac