Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Dec 2, 2012, 04:44 PM   #1
ghooru
macrumors newbie

Problems installing latest OS X

Hi everybody,

So we are trying to install the latest OSX on a 2009 macbook. This morning my mom went through the installation process but when it came time to restart, she just got three bleeping tones over and over and a black screen.

Well I read that this is a RAM issue so I took the memory cards out and put them back in again. This successfully restarted with the install screen coming up, saying '34 mins remaining,' but after a short time it said the install had failed and that there was a hard drive issue.

boot up again, this time get flashing apple logo, question mark, folder and 'do not enter' sign

So then I did a PRAM reset just to try something, that brought up the blue screen with grey loading bar, but it never completes, it tries twice and then shuts down.

If I hold down option during start up, it brings me back to the three bleeping tones.

Any suggestions, or is it time to take it in to the store?
ghooru is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 10:27 AM   #2
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

Three beeps means bad memory. It sounds like the bard memory made the install crash and corrupted the OS. Get the memory issue fixed then try to reinstall the OS.

If you have the original install DVD that came with the machine, try booting from the DVD and running Disk Utility to repair the drive.
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help