Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ghooru

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
Hi everybody,

So we are trying to install the latest OSX on a 2009 macbook. This morning my mom went through the installation process but when it came time to restart, she just got three bleeping tones over and over and a black screen.

Well I read that this is a RAM issue so I took the memory cards out and put them back in again. This successfully restarted with the install screen coming up, saying '34 mins remaining,' but after a short time it said the install had failed and that there was a hard drive issue.

boot up again, this time get flashing apple logo, question mark, folder and 'do not enter' sign

So then I did a PRAM reset just to try something, that brought up the blue screen with grey loading bar, but it never completes, it tries twice and then shuts down.

If I hold down option during start up, it brings me back to the three bleeping tones.

Any suggestions, or is it time to take it in to the store? :confused:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Three beeps means bad memory. It sounds like the bard memory made the install crash and corrupted the OS. Get the memory issue fixed then try to reinstall the OS.

If you have the original install DVD that came with the machine, try booting from the DVD and running Disk Utility to repair the drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.