Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Sep 18, 2005, 09:07 PM   #1
TheMonarch
macrumors 65816

Backlit Glory

Today, for the first time, my PB's keyboard lit up due to real-world conditions. It was soo cool. Normally when it lights up is because someone cast a shadow on my PB, or because someone is messing with the lights. But today I was working without light, using the sun to light up my room, and had the blinds open. Ant its almost night time here. Anyways out of nowhere my KB lit up, and I looked around, and it was dark! It was so unexpected, it was nice. Today I got to appreciate the nice little things about my PB

Had to share...

Who here actually uses the KB backlight? And for those who don't have it, do you wish you had it because you need it, or because it looks awesome?
Old Sep 19, 2005, 01:42 PM   #2
alexprice
macrumors 6502a

I use and LOVE my backlit keyboard.

Alex Price
alexprice is offline   0
Old Sep 19, 2005, 01:46 PM   #3
Jay42
macrumors 65816

Yep, I use mine in the car, on the plane (if I don't want to use the reading light), and even just at my desk. I like it better than a glaring desk lamp at night.
Jay42 is offline   0
Old Sep 19, 2005, 02:10 PM   #4
thecow
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to thecow
What color is the keyboard backlight? I always thought it was blueish, but I might have made that up. I am still using my TiBook for now. That will hopefully change after the intel pbks come out.
Old Sep 19, 2005, 02:13 PM   #5
Eluon
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to Eluon
I wish my iBook G4 12inch had it. I think it makes sense to have it on all of the portables. Why? Because students work in dim lit areas too. Not all of us can afford the PB.
Old Sep 19, 2005, 02:26 PM   #6
eva01
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to eva01 Send a message via MSN to eva01 Send a message via Yahoo to eva01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eluon
I wish my iBook G4 12inch had it. I think it makes sense to have it on all of the portables. Why? Because students work in dim lit areas too. Not all of us can afford the PB.
It takes up a lot of space in the computer for the backlit keyboard and decreases battery life.

And the color is green just like the color of the num lock and caps lock key
Old Sep 19, 2005, 02:30 PM   #7
yippy
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to yippy
I rarely use it but it is nice (and looks awsome) when I do.

Green? What are you on? My backlight is a cold white, just like the sleep light on the latch.
yippy is offline   0
Old Sep 19, 2005, 02:32 PM   #8
eva01
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to eva01 Send a message via MSN to eva01 Send a message via Yahoo to eva01
Quote:
Originally Posted by yippy
I rarely use it but it is nice (and looks awsome) when I do.

Green? What are you on? My backlight is a cold white, just like the sleep light on the latch.
weird the ones that i saw at the applestore in braintree (set up ones that people can't touch in front window) I thought it was green? maybe just because it was 5AM and i hadn't gone to sleep so i could be first in line at the store for tax free day is the reason i am mistaken?
Old Sep 19, 2005, 02:38 PM   #9
yippy
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to yippy
Could have been the lighting in the store or maybe a realy dirty keyboard?

Anyway, you can judge for yourself here. About in the middle of the page there is a picture of the backlight in action.
yippy is offline   0
Old Sep 19, 2005, 02:38 PM   #10
andiwm2003
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by eva01
weird the ones that i saw at the applestore in braintree (set up ones that people can't touch in front window) I thought it was green? maybe just because it was 5AM and i hadn't gone to sleep so i could be first in line at the store for tax free day is the reason i am mistaken?
mine is cold white. even half a bottle of wodka couldn't change that. if you saw it light up green you must have been on something strong.......
andiwm2003 is offline   0
Old Sep 19, 2005, 02:43 PM   #11
killuminati
macrumors 68020

I don't find it that useful. I find the screen lights up the keyboard well enough. And I get short enough battery life as it is.
Old Sep 19, 2005, 03:22 PM   #12
macOSX-tastic
macrumors 6502a

i love the backlit keyboard on my powerbook. the colour is a cold white, or if you are in subtly different lighting conditions, it can be considered blue. i find this also happens with the apple logo on the powerbook lid. i also love this

i find it very productive, and prefer it to a desk lamp lighting the keyboard (therefore i use the lamp for other things.)

once i started using it on a sunny afternoon, left the computer on while i went out and when i came back at dusk, there was the keyboard, all lit and ready to go.

well done apple. (as if you havent had that enough for this PB feature)

tastic

PowerBook G4 15"
My photos on Jetphotos.net - more added regularly!
Name that animal in my 'tar!
macOSX-tastic is offline   0
Old Sep 19, 2005, 03:29 PM   #13
EGT
macrumors 68000

I don't like the backlit keyboard on the rev c Powerbooks. They were improved for the rev D, weren't they?

From the angle I'm normally looking at the screen with the back lights on, I can't see the top row of keys clearly. They're just too dim to be useful.

It's really just an "ooooooo ahhhh" feature to show people.
EGT is offline   0
Old Sep 19, 2005, 03:31 PM   #14
devilot
Moderator emeritus

After I got my 12" PB I was so bummed because only the larger models sport the coolness... I've obviously functioned just fine w/out that feature-- but it is very very very appealing to me. But as other posters have mentioned, one turn off for me is the battery drain... But it looks so convenient and purdy!
Old Sep 19, 2005, 03:32 PM   #15
TheMonarch
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGT
I don't like the backlit keyboard on the rev c Powerbooks. They were improved for the rev D, weren't they?

From the angle I'm normally looking at the screen with the back lights on, I can't see the top row of keys clearly. They're just too dim to be useful.

It's really just an "ooooooo ahhhh" feature to show people.

Its 10 tmies brighter in rev D PBs... So yeah, i think its been fixed...

So most iBookers dont like it? I think its awesome
Old Sep 19, 2005, 03:45 PM   #16
risc
macrumors 68030

On my Rev C PowerBook G4 1.67 GHz 15" I use it all the time. Actually I've found myself using the PowerBook much more than the Power Mac G5, I probably should sell one but that is another story. KB back light = GREAT!
risc is offline   0
Old Sep 19, 2005, 04:02 PM   #17
TheMasin9
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to TheMasin9
oooh ahhh

its definately one of htose features thats sets the powerbook in a class all its own. shame on all you dell buyers and ur cruddy plastic kb
TheMasin9 is offline   0
Old Sep 19, 2005, 04:30 PM   #18
y0zza
macrumors regular

Love the backlit keyboard. I wonder why other laptops don't sport one.

A pic:

Not the best quality pic, but you get the idea. It looks a bit whiter than the pic, which is a tad blue, but the phone camera (K750i) has some problems dealing with the white balance between the incandescent bulb and the white LEDs.
y0zza is offline   0
Old Sep 19, 2005, 04:50 PM   #19
Dagless
macrumors Core

its probably because of the light up keyboard but im certainly getting a rev a/b 15" mactel powerbook with DVD writer.

my 12" PB was a test to see if i could use a mac effectively. and now i've passed that test. its a higher model for me next
Old Sep 19, 2005, 05:00 PM   #20
TheMonarch
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedjimmi
its probably because of the light up keyboard but im certainly getting a rev a/b 15" mactel powerbook with DVD writer.

my 12" PB was a test to see if i could use a mac effectively. and now i've passed that test. its a higher model for me next

Thats an expensive test...

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers