Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old Dec 2, 2012, 05:41 PM   #1
lazygregg
macrumors member

Need to Factory Reset Mac Mini 2011 w/Mountain Lion installed

I'm looking to securely delete all data on the harddrive and have my mac mini 2011 back to factory standards so I can sell it on eBay. Whats the easiest way? Since my mac mini didnt come with any CD-Roms or USB thumb drives with the OS installed.
lazygregg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2012, 07:20 PM   #2
Hugh
macrumors Demi-God

Exclamation

You will have to do the Internet Recovery, it will download the OS (10.7) and install it as if you haven't used it before.

I believe that the Internet Recovery is press Option and the R at the same as soon as you hear the boot up chime. I could be wrong on this, it's been a while since I did a Internet Recovery. :/

NOTE: This will install 10.7 and not 10.8 theres no legal way (although you can install 10.8 on the machine) to install 10.8 and sell the machine. It's got to do with the licensing.

Hugh
Old Dec 2, 2012, 09:30 PM   #3
lazygregg
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
You will have to do the Internet Recovery, it will download the OS (10.7) and install it as if you haven't used it before.

I believe that the Internet Recovery is press Option and the R at the same as soon as you hear the boot up chime. I could be wrong on this, it's been a while since I did a Internet Recovery. :/

NOTE: This will install 10.7 and not 10.8 theres no legal way (although you can install 10.8 on the machine) to install 10.8 and sell the machine. It's got to do with the licensing.

Hugh

thank you that worked!!
lazygregg is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion