Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Dec 2, 2012, 06:11 PM   #1
borg1of2
macrumors member

iTunes 11 and iPhone - Can't Find the iPhone Button

So, I just upgraded iTunes 11, running on a PC with Windows 7, and when I start iTunes and then connect my iPhone to my PC iPhone shows up. If I click on the iPhone I can see all of the associated screens for what is on my iPhone and do a back, upgrade, synch, etc. However, if I click and go look at my iTunes library, the iPhone button/icon is gone and I can't go back and see it do any of the related activities. Only way to get it back is disconnect from PC and reconnect and the iPhone icon will show up again.

Don't know if I'm explaining this well enough, but am I missing something on how to go back to the iPhone once the button/icon disappears?

Scott
borg1of2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2012, 06:24 PM   #2
tymaster50
macrumors 68030

Did you press done? That seems to disconnect the iPhone for some reason.
tymaster50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2012, 06:42 PM   #3
Marrakas
macrumors 6502

Well it seems to me the iPad and iPhones just tends to show up in itunes whenever they feel like it, especially over wifi sync.
Marrakas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 06:05 AM   #4
borg1of2
macrumors member

No, haven't pressed Done, not sure if I've even seen a Done button.

I am connected directly to the PC, WiFi always requires the phone to be plugged in to power, so what's the point for me as I charge my phone from the PC.

Any other suggestions, or just another glitch from Apple?
Old Dec 3, 2012, 06:17 AM   #5
XboxMySocks
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by borg1of2 View Post
I am connected directly to the PC, WiFi always requires the phone to be plugged in to power, so what's the point for me as I charge my phone from the PC.
No. The first time it does, after that you can do it.... wirelessly
Old Dec 3, 2012, 06:49 PM   #6
borg1of2
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XboxMySocks View Post
No. The first time it does, after that you can do it.... wirelessly
This is not what I experienced with the previous version of iTunes. It would detect the device, YES, but when I would synch it would try, fail and give error. Only way to get it to work was physical connection or plugging the iPhone into power. Then synch would be successful.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 06:53 PM   #7
Bako-MacAddict
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
So, I just upgraded iTunes 11, running on a PC with Windows 7, and when I start iTunes and then connect my iPhone to my PC iPhone shows up. If I click on the iPhone I can see all of the associated screens for what is on my iPhone and do a back, upgrade, synch, etc. However, if I click and go look at my iTunes library, the iPhone button/icon is gone and I can't go back and see it do any of the related activities. Only way to get it back is disconnect from PC and reconnect and the iPhone icon will show up again.

Don't know if I'm explaining this well enough, but am I missing something on how to go back to the iPhone once the button/icon disappears?

Scott
First problem i see is that you're using a PC
Kidding

Space Gray iPhone 6 128GB | MacBook Pro 15" Late 2011 |iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi 64GB Gold
AT&T
Bako-MacAddict is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 07:08 PM   #8
haruhiko
macrumors 68030

Quote:

Scott
View, show sidebar
rMBP'12, iMac'08/24", Mini'09, MBP'10/15", MBA'11/13". iPhone: 6+/128/sg, 5s/64S 5/64B, 4S/64W, 4/32B, 3GS/16. iPT: 3G,1G. iPad: Air,Mini2,4,3/LTE/64 2/3G/32, 1/WiFi/16. ATV'12,'11, AEBS'09, TC'13/2TB
haruhiko is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 07:52 PM   #9
borg1of2
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by haruhiko View Post
View, show sidebar
Didn't realize the File, View, etc menu's were available. Found that and tried the Sidebar and the iPhone is not listed. I literally was viewing the phone, synched and the clicked to go look at my Music library. iPhone button gone and not on Sidebar.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bako-MacAddict View Post
Kidding
I was waiting for that one.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 08:39 PM   #10
Kurios2
macrumors member

What's so hard about disconnecting and connecting again? I have the same problem and don't come on here crying about it. Give me a break.
Kurios2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 10:04 PM   #11
borg1of2
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurios View Post
What's so hard about disconnecting and connecting again? I have the same problem and don't come on here crying about it. Give me a break.
Another response expected.

Hopefully others on this forum will rise and assist with a simple question from someone asking for help. Or is the above the standard set here?
borg1of2 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 10:09 PM   #12
fenskezen
macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted

I noticed the same thing. I use a MacBook 08. I thought it was me or something I was missing. Yes, I can and did just unplug and replug but it seems odd to have to do that.
fenskezen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 11:22 PM   #13
vastoholic
macrumors 68000

The only way I can get out of the iPhone view mode is by pressing the blue "done" button at the top right past the "photo's" tab or by pressing the eject button on the top left. How are you getting out of this screen to view the rest of your library. This may explain the confusion.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 07:13 AM   #14
borg1of2
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vastoholic View Post
The only way I can get out of the iPhone view mode is by pressing the blue "done" button at the top right past the "photo's" tab or by pressing the eject button on the top left. How are you getting out of this screen to view the rest of your library. This may explain the confusion.
On the left side, near top, is the Up/Down Arrow where you can select the different options for your library (Music, Movies, Apps, Podcats, etc.) This will take you out of the iPhone view. You will then notice that you can't get back to the iPhone once you do that.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 07:47 AM   #15
rollingstart

Quote:
On the left side, near top, is the Up/Down Arrow where you can select the different options for your library (Music, Movies, Apps, Podcats, etc.) This will take you out of the iPhone view. You will then notice that you can't get back to the iPhone once you do that.
When you're in iPhone view, that button you're referring to is the Eject button for the iPhone, so you shouldn't press it to navigate through iTunes. Always hit the "Done" button on the right side instead to get back to iTunes, and your iPhone will always be there.

Confusing, yes, I know, but it makes more sense if you think of it this way. HTH
rollingstart is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 07:51 AM   #16
vastoholic
macrumors 68000

Yours must be different than mine. All I have is an eject button there.

And yes I really call my phone that. It's a nickname from the army. Move along now, nothing to see here.

Thumb resize.

***Edit: rollingstart beat me to it.

Last edited by vastoholic; Dec 4, 2012 at 08:05 AM.
vastoholic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 08:06 AM   #17
rollingstart

Quote:
Originally Posted by vastoholic View Post
Yours must be different than mine. All I have is an eject button there.

And yes I really call my phone that. It's a nickname from the army. Move along now, nothing to see here.

Thumb resize.

***Edit: roolingstart beat me to it.
You actually mentioned it first, ha ha.

Same with (yes, the) PC. I went through the trouble of mauling this screenshot so I'm not going to let it go unused.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	381437  
rollingstart is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 08:20 AM   #18
vastoholic
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollingstart View Post
You actually mentioned it first, ha ha.

Same with (yes, the) PC. I went through the trouble of mauling this screenshot so I'm not going to let it go unused.
Damn, yours has instructions.

I'm still curious as to what the OP sees on his, because he mentions the up/down arrow that appears throughout the rest of iTunes when you're looking at your library. Could it be a bug in his software?
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:43 PM   #19
stuffradio
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bako-MacAddict View Post
Kidding
Same thing happens on my Mac mini...

I hit the update button to iOS 6.1, and the iPhone disappeared. No Done button that I had before, no button for my iPhone, nothing. I'm using a Mac mini 2011. No trolling.

Edit: Nevermind. I force quit Apple iTunes and it works now. Look at that, a Mac not perfect like all the fanboys tell you it is. *gasp*
stuffradio is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone