Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Old Dec 2, 2012, 07:37 PM   #1
floh
macrumors 6502

Video on "codecs and containers"

Hey everyone!

In this forum, it happens very often that someone does not know that there is a big difference between a video container (the file ending...) and the codec that is inside. This leads to confusion and lengthens discussions.

And because I (and many others here) have explained this many times, I made an animated video with very basic information on codecs and containers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpBjGUlBTHU

The hope is that linking to this video will shorten explanations and discussions. There will never be advertisement on this video and I do not gain anything from this, but I would like you (the regular forum users) to share this link when you can use it for any discussion. I also did this to get a little more comfortable with animation in Apple Motion 5, but mainly this was a lot of work that shouldn't go to waste.

Thanks and greetings,

Floh
floh is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2012, 08:11 PM   #2
MisterKeeks
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by floh View Post
Hey everyone!

In this forum, it happens very often that someone does not know that there is a big difference between a video container (the file ending...) and the codec that is inside. This leads to confusion and lengthens discussions.

And because I (and many others here) have explained this many times, I made an animated video with very basic information on codecs and containers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpBjGUlBTHU

The hope is that linking to this video will shorten explanations and discussions. There will never be advertisement on this video and I do not gain anything from this, but I would like you (the regular forum users) to share this link when you can use it for any discussion. I also did this to get a little more comfortable with animation in Apple Motion 5, but mainly this was a lot of work that shouldn't go to waste.

Thanks and greetings,

Floh
GREAT VIDEO!!!
It's perfect. Animations are great as well.
MisterKeeks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 02:28 AM   #3
Werkfoto
macrumors newbie

good job, gut gemacht
Werkfoto is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 01:41 PM   #4
Siderz
macrumors 6502a

That was an extremely useful video, and has furthered my knowledge on video.

Thanks a lot for sharing! That has gone straight into my favourites!
Siderz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 01:56 PM   #5
Dc2006ster
macrumors member

Thanks so much for the video. I found it to be an excellent overview of codecs and containers and appreciated the specific recommendations of which to use.
Dc2006ster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 01:00 PM   #6
Dc2006ster
macrumors member

Would I be correct in thinking that if a device has difficulties with e.g mkv files it is because that device cannot open the container, cannot decode the codec used and/or cannot handle the framerate.?

Sorry if by asking this question I have defeated your original intention of shortening discussions. Feel free to ignore me :-)
Old Dec 4, 2012, 01:06 PM   #7
floh
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dc2006ster View Post
Would I be correct in thinking that if a device has difficulties with e.g mkv files it is because that device cannot open the container, cannot decode the codec used and/or cannot handle the framerate.?
Yes, probably. But that is a very broad range of problems you might have. You can start narrowing it down by first changing the container with this. In my experience .mkv containers are often problematic on standalone players. Mine can't handle them. If that doesn't work, try changing the codec with this. And if that fails, too, the framerate is your last (and most time-consuming) option.

Good luck.
floh is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 01:34 PM   #8
Dc2006ster
macrumors member

Thanks floh. All this is very interesting even at my noob level.

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Tags
codecs, containers, educational video