Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:43 PM   #1
mikeheenan
macrumors 6502

Multi Bay enclosure for storage?

What is the best multi bay enclosure for storage that will work fine with the mac? I'm looking at the Vantec 4 bay enclosure which features USB 3 (a must) but from what I read about this one and other enclosures is that the USB 3 controller isn't entirely compatible with the Mac. Anyone have luck with this one or others?
mikeheenan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 12:23 PM   #2
Siderz
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeheenan View Post
What is the best multi bay enclosure for storage that will work fine with the mac? I'm looking at the Vantec 4 bay enclosure which features USB 3 (a must) but from what I read about this one and other enclosures is that the USB 3 controller isn't entirely compatible with the Mac. Anyone have luck with this one or others?
I don't own one, but a lot of people like the LaCie 2big Thunderbolt Disk.

It costs more than the one you mentioned and only has 2 bays, but is fully compatible with a Mac (And has Thunderbolt which is much better than USB 3.0)

Here's another one, the G-Tech G-SPEED, it's even more than the LaCie one, but comes with 4 bays and I'm sure is generally better than the LaCie one.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 01:30 PM   #3
mjsanders5uk
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeheenan View Post
There's the new Drobo 5D which has thunderbolt and USB 3.

I know some people aren't fans of Drobo but I've got an S and a FS and both are behaving perfectly.
mjsanders5uk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 05:19 PM   #4
jammiefreerider
macrumors regular

Quote:
Here's another one, the G-Tech G-SPEED, it's even more than the LaCie one, but comes with 4 bays and I'm sure is generally better than the LaCie one.
+1 for GTech. Hardware raid, server grade hard drives, easily swappable, good technical support, non proprietary, hard to replace, hardware (like Drobo) and loved by video production people who are massively demanding of their hard drives. GTech reputation is the best by far over everyone.
jammiefreerider is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video