Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Biggs88

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 30, 2012
Hello all! I have cable internet and I have the 50mbps package. Wired on the imac, i get over 54 MBPS down. With the router on the same desk, on 5GHZ, I can get tops 40mbps down.

The router is a Dual-Band Netgear N600 WNDR3400. I use a DOCSIS 3 modem.

On my 3rd gen iPad, ipad 2, Iphone 5, windows laptop ect. . . . I top out at 20-21mbps with this router. (2.4 and/or 5 ghz)

I am going to be getting a Macbook Pro 15inch Retina this month and I want the FASTEST wifi I can squeeze out.

Should I upgrade this router to a higher end one? Any suggestions or tricks I may have overlooked?

Thanks!!

Kashsystems

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2012
Hello all! I have cable internet and I have the 50mbps package. Wired on the imac, i get over 54 MBPS down. With the router on the same desk, on 5GHZ, I can get tops 40mbps down.

The router is a Dual-Band Netgear N600 WNDR3400. I use a DOCSIS 3 modem.

On my 3rd gen iPad, ipad 2, Iphone 5, windows laptop ect. . . . I top out at 20-21mbps with this router. (2.4 and/or 5 ghz)

I am going to be getting a Macbook Pro 15inch Retina this month and I want the FASTEST wifi I can squeeze out.

Should I upgrade this router to a higher end one? Any suggestions or tricks I may have overlooked?

Thanks!!

I would do nothing. Good chance you will buy faster routers and still be disappointed. You are most likely topping the wifi on not only on the router but your equipment also. Also the algorithm is going to change for wifi and the speeds will increase by 10 fold when they do. This does not even include the new AC standard coming out.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
For whatever reason my iPad3, iPhone5 top out right around 25Mbps as well but I can have my MBA right beside them and get 71Mbps.

This is on a 100Mbps service and my iMac will pull 95-102Mbps wired.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.