Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

obsoletepower

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 14, 2006
Toronto, Canada
Just wondering if anybody else is worried that their order may indefinitely be delayed because the world is ending on December 21, 2012. I'm really bummed out that I may not get to try out the new iMac. It better arrive before the 21st.....

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Just wondering if anybody else is worried that their order may indefinitely be delayed because the world is ending on December 21, 2012. I'm really bummed out that I may not get to try out the new iMac. It better arrive before the 21st.....

LMFAO:D

I thought the date has changed to the 12th.

And BTW, I read somewhere the date already passed bc they didn't consider leap years before, that date was somewhere in November last year.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Have the thought about the world ending since a few days ago, but never actually thought people are more concerned about the shipping dates of their iMacs more than their own well-being...

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
iFixit should do some ballistic tests to see how well they stop bullets, so at least you might be able to use your new machine as a shield while roaming the streets scrounging for food.

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
They did consider leap years, because the Gregorian Calendar date was determined in the modern era by deciphering the Mayan calendar, which, in part, is only a long count of days.

The Mayan long count calendar just goes from 12.19.19.17.19 to 13.0.0.0.0 from December 20th to December 21st. It's not even a rolling over of their highest count

I'm currently in a class called "Ancient Astronomies" at my University, and this is straight from the class notes.

Also, this.

So no, I don't think that there will be an effect on my iMac shipment.

boto

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2012
I read in an article earlier this year that mentioned the Mayan calendar is millions of years before the apocalypse. Some archeologist discovered a new artifact and later decrypted it was the "latest" edition to the calendar or something, so you shouldn't worry about not being able to play with your pretty toy. Also, if you still passionately believe that the world will end on that date, feel free to donate your stuff to me. :)

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
Apple has to deliver no matter what, if not you can require to get your money back....regardless any end of the world.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
They did consider leap years, because the Gregorian Calendar date was determined in the modern era by deciphering the Mayan calendar, which, in part, is only a long count of days.

The Mayan long count calendar just goes from 12.19.19.17.19 to 13.0.0.0.0 from December 20th to December 21st. It's not even a rolling over of their highest count

So no, I don't think that there will be an effect on my iMac shipment.
It's not a matter of whether or not the world will end, but whether anyone who *thinks* the world might end will behave differently, in a way that matters. For example, air shipments could be delayed if superstitious airline pilots phone in sick that day.

I think that if we survived Y2K then we can survive the transition from 12.19.19.17.19 to 13.0.0.0.0!

bflowers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2006
At least if the world ends, I don't have to pay off the credit card. :D

----------

It's not a matter of whether or not the world will end, but whether anyone who *thinks* the world might end will behave differently, in a way that matters. For example, air shipments could be delayed if superstitious airline pilots phone in sick that day.

I think that if we survived Y2K then we can survive the transition from 12.19.19.17.19 to 13.0.0.0.0!

Just how many Mayan airline pilots do you think there are?

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
UPS and FedEx will manage....They usually do...:) If the end of the world does occur as predicted, then cancel your orders now to preserve virtual funds for what ever lies on the "other" side!

I wonder what happen to all those iMac pending for delivery on 21st: people obvious will not be reachable anymore. The notice from UPS/FedEx will expire and will those iMacs go back to a refurbished world ?

Kadath

macrumors regular
May 28, 2006
I suppose it depends on just how the world ends....

Fire and Ice

Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.
Robert Frost

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Fire and Ice

Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.
Robert Frost

This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang but a whimper.

cosmicjoke

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2011
Portland, OR
And here I thought it was the summit day where novelty accelerated to the point where everything was innovation... maybe you'll be getting a 4d holographic transcendental iMac :drops a hit of 'cid:

Nandifix

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2012
Hey guys always deny it as if your wrong there will be no one to tell you that you were wrong;)

aerobyravol

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2012
Switzerland
Well - I originally had a shipping estimate of 27 Dec, 2012 - 03 Jan, 2013.
Today, I finally got my status prepping for shipment.

I just hope to finally have the opportunity to unbox it before the EOW.

So please, Apple, hurry up!!!

:apple::apple::apple:

bflowers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2006
So now that my iMac is shipping, and I'll get to at least play with it a couple of days before the end of the world, should I just let the kids open their Christmas presents early too? I mean, why should I be the only one to enjoy the last few days on Earth? :D That, and their toys would keep them away from my toy!

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
If history is to change, let it change!
If the world is to be destroyed, so be it!
If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh!!
-Magus, Chrono Trigger

bflowers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2006
If history is to change, let it change!
If the world is to be destroyed, so be it!
If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh!!
-Magus, Chrono Trigger

Good game, I pulled the midi of the Frog's pan flute theme and have it as a ringtone on my phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.