Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Dec 7, 2012, 06:27 PM   #1
hello12
macrumors regular

Noticed a problem with my iPhone 5

I really hate people that do this, BUT, on my iphone 5, there are the two black shiny bands that are on the top and bottom, I noticed on the top one, there is a small white dot, on the edge. You can't see it from far but it does kinda make me wonder if I should even bother exchanging it since I payed so much for it?
hello12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 06:49 PM   #2
Jalopybox
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello12 View Post
I really hate people that do this, BUT, on my iphone 5, there are the two black shiny bands that are on the top and bottom, I noticed on the top one, there is a small white dot, on the edge. You can't see it from far but it does kinda make me wonder if I should even bother exchanging it since I payed so much for it?
Huh? Pictures please.
Jalopybox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 07:28 PM   #3
hello12
macrumors regular

Okay picture coming
Old Dec 7, 2012, 07:52 PM   #4
hello12
macrumors regular

I attached it. I know I admit I am being OCD. I kept it in the case the entire time, so it had to have come like that. Anyway look at the picture, I circled the place I'm talking about. What would you do?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1531.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	328.0 KB
ID:	382208  
Old Dec 7, 2012, 07:56 PM   #5
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
I attached it. I know I admit I am being OCD. I kept it in the case the entire time, so it had to have come like that. Anyway look at the picture, I circled the place I'm talking about. What would you do?
Get a life, and find something real to worry about!!
Old Dec 7, 2012, 08:04 PM   #6
hello12
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink View Post
Thanks dude... I think your right I just needed to hear someone say it. I've owned many phones in the past, and haven't cared about them getting dinged up... I think the reason people care when something is wrong with their iphone 5 is because they are truly beautiful products!!.. (And I spent a lot on it )
Old Dec 7, 2012, 08:12 PM   #7
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink View Post
Amen.
Serious OCD issues.
Applejuiced is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 08:34 PM   #8
tymaster50
macrumors 68030

Close thread please.
tymaster50 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 08:41 PM   #9
Leonard1818
In Time-Out

Guys I'm pretty sure the adhesive isn't applied evenly to hold the battery in place. If u take it to the Southern Hemisphere in July during the second day of the new moon and the tidal forces are just right and you balance it on a pencil on the table it ALWAYS falls to the left (face up).

I know, I know, I may be being a bit OCD but do you think I should exchange it? I've got a Genius Bar appointment tomm. Do you think they'll replace it for me?

P.s. I dropped it last week but this didn't start till yesterday so I doubt it's related.
Leonard1818 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 09:17 PM   #10
hello12
macrumors regular

Hahahah okay I get it! I'll stick with this one
hello12 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 09:31 PM   #11
Kenjhee
macrumors regular

My iP5 had one tiny little nick in the edge from Day 1. To this day I'm not sure if it came out of the box that way, or was dinged the first day I had it, but at any rate it was so small I was tempted to ignore it. Even knowing it was there I had to look for it carefully. However, as I had gunsmithing supplies already it was zero effort for me to reblacken the nick using the proper solutions and the phone is now once again cosmetically perfect. No other trauma since then, even though I carry naked except for a rear adhesive protector.
Kenjhee is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 09:58 PM   #12
mirekti
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Get used to it cos there'll be many more unless you put it in the case.
mirekti is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 11:11 PM   #13
hello12
macrumors regular

[/COLOR]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenjhee View Post
My iP5 had one tiny little nick in the edge from Day 1. To this day I'm not sure if it came out of the box that way, or was dinged the first day I had it, but at any rate it was so small I was tempted to ignore it. Even knowing it was there I had to look for it carefully. However, as I had gunsmithing supplies already it was zero effort for me to reblacken the nick using the proper solutions and the phone is now once again cosmetically perfect. No other trauma since then, even though I carry naked except for a rear adhesive protector.
What did you use to touch it up? Does it look like from my picture that I could do the same? I was thinking of doing that myself...
Old Dec 7, 2012, 11:22 PM   #14
Kenjhee
macrumors regular

Quote:
[/COLOR]

What did you use to touch it up? Does it look like from my picture that I could do the same? I was thinking of doing that myself...
Yes, no problem. Check out my post in this thread...http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1495151
Kenjhee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 06:44 AM   #15
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Thanks dude... I think your right I just needed to hear someone say it. I've owned many phones in the past, and haven't cared about them getting dinged up... I think the reason people care when something is wrong with their iphone 5 is because they are truly beautiful products!!.. (And I spent a lot on it )
I do understand wanting your beautiful phone (I have one, too) to be perfect. But to expend emotional energy on such a minor blemish just isn't good for your health...mental or physical.

I know my post was a bit snarky but, seriously, your general sense of well being is more important, in the long and short run, than an electronic device's condition.

Be well, Mate...
Old Dec 8, 2012, 08:19 AM   #16
scaredpoet
macrumors 603

If it really bothers you, get a black Sharpie marker, and very lightly, dab the white spot with the tip of the marker. That should take care of the blemish.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 08:51 AM   #17
sulpfiction
macrumors 68030

A piece of gnat ****** is twice the size of that nick.
sulpfiction is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 09:10 AM   #18
paulbennett95
macrumors 6502a

I have great vision and I literally see nothing within that red circle.. At first, I thought you were referring to the red circle as your problem, because I literally see nothing wrong. And I thought I had OCD..
paulbennett95 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 10:18 AM   #19
Jordan921
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Just because you had it in a case doesn't mean it can't get damaged.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 10:37 AM   #20
Rocko1
In Time-Out

I won't be as rude, immature or douchy as the others have been. That is not bad. Chances are extremely high if you return it the replacement will have more damage than that. If your screen is good, buttons good, no other glaring issues, keep it. I would tape off the surrounding areas and gently dab a sharpie marker on that spot. You will not notice it after that.
Rocko1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 04:06 PM   #21
hello12
macrumors regular

Thanks guys, I will use the sharpie to do it. Your right, it will not be visible after that haha
Old Dec 8, 2012, 07:14 PM   #22
Brown Trout
macrumors member

If that tiny nick is bothering you get Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black, something handgun owners have used for years for AL slides. It's virtually permanent but not cheap. I handled an iPhone 5 nick with this stuff and it's excellent:

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...-prod4941.aspx

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone