Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 3, 2012, 03:41 PM   #51
XboxMySocks
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nale72 View Post
I also believe it's the same reason Apple can afford to charge so much for the iPhone.
iPhone 5 = $649.99
Samsung Galaxy S3 = $649.99

Huh. Neat.
__________________
Out of Warranty Replacements:
iPad mini Retina: $249; iPad Air, 3 & 4: $299; iPad mini: $219; iPad 2: $249; iPhone 6+: $369; iPhone 6: $329; iPhone 5: $299; iPhone 4S: $199; iPhone 4: $169
XboxMySocks is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 03:58 PM   #52
redman042
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveoc64 View Post
Apple rarely rejects Apps for being buggy - unless it's really obvious. How do you think Facebook got approved!?

Google does not reject Apps unless it explicitly knows that they are malicious or illegal.

That doesn't mean that the same App on Android is any less reliable than the App on iOS.
I don't think the higher quality of iOS apps has much to do with Apple's approval policies vs Google.

Instead, Apple set the bar for apps higher, and made it easier to reach that bar, right out of the gate. When they launched the App Store, they provided a comprehensive set of developer tools on Day 1. Developers were developing apps for ONE hardware configuration only. iOS was well-optimized to run those apps, with quick launching and plenty of stability. The app store got healthy and lucrative QUICKLY, and it never lost that momentum. This attracted hordes of developers who wanted to cash in.

Today, there are still a very limited number of hardware configurations that a developer needs to account for. That eliminates a lot of wasted development time and saves more time for making the app better.

The bar for app quality is very high in the iOS App Store. Every developer knows this. If you want to get noticed and get high sales, that app had better be very reliable and very polished. Otherwise you lose stars and disappear from view.
redman042 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 04:16 PM   #53
Jimmy James
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
I love my iPhone. It does everything I need.

Many of my coworkers have migrated to Android and they CAN do things the iPhone cannot. Direct phone to phone wifi transfer of files/media is great. I wish I could participate.
Jimmy James is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 04:18 PM   #54
Troneas
macrumors 65816
 
Troneas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: At the alternatives section.
I have a couple of free apps in my iphone.
Troneas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 04:24 PM   #55
JAT
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Mpls, MN
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfunk1122 View Post
I agree with you almost 100%. Very well said. Being one of those people that flashes ROMs I can say that a rooted phone with a good ROM and stable kernel over clocked will beat an iPhone every time in terms of pure speed. I do agree that the apps seem to be slightly more polished but I feel that is because of the integration with them only being designed for one phone with one operating system. I'm not a developer by any means but I do understand a lot more than the average person. One thing that Apple definitely has over Android is in their party accessories. Lol the amount of cases seem endless even for the 5...
I guess VZW/ATT reps should learn how to teach "average" people how to:
Root their phone
Find a stable ROM
Load a ROM
Maintain all of it

Simple.
__________________
-- Spiky
JAT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 04:32 PM   #56
gfunk1122
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Well that is completely off topic. The phone without root is totally capable as a device you just get added functionality and more customization with root. I would say a stock Galaxy S3 and an iPhone 5 are very comparable. Which ever one suits the individual better would be a fine choice.

The problem is there are Android people out there that will tell you Apple sucks and obviously vice versa. They are both excellent devices.

And to whoever mentioned NFC not being a big deal because it's not implemented in checkouts right now might not understand the full functionality of it. For instance I can put an NFC tag in my car and set up a task to turn on Bluetooth, turn on GPS, start streaming music and launch the navigation program that works flawlessly all by touching my phone to a sticker.
gfunk1122 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 04:34 PM   #57
dontpannic
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Orpington, Kent, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveoc64 View Post
If you want to, but the fact remains, the two most popular paid iOS Apps are free on Android.
No, the fact doesn't remain.

Android has a free app which you pay extra to remove ads
Apple has a paid for app with no ads, or you get the lite version which does have ads.

On either platform, free ad supported versions are available and you pay to remove ads. That's true of most of the apparent examples.
dontpannic is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 04:36 PM   #58
Daveoc64
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bristol, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontpannic View Post
On either platform, free ad supported versions are available and you pay to remove ads. That's true of most of the apparent examples.
Not the two I stated.

You can't get a free version of "Whatsapp" or "Angry Birds Star Wars" for iPhone.

I wonder if "Whatsapp" would be the #1 paid app if there was a free version for iOS...

I would download it for free, but it's not something I want to pay for.
__________________
Nexus 6 32GB Black (Three UK) | Nexus 7 (2012) | Kindle Paperwhite (2013)
iPhone 4 32GB
White MacBook (Late 2007)
Windows 8.1 | iCloud, Dropbox, Spotify Premium

Last edited by Daveoc64; Dec 3, 2012 at 04:46 PM.
Daveoc64 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 04:41 PM   #59
BFizzzle
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Austin TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontpannic View Post
No, the fact doesn't remain.

Android has a free app which you pay extra to remove ads
Apple has a paid for app with no ads, or you get the lite version which does have ads.

On either platform, free ad supported versions are available and you pay to remove ads. That's true of most of the apparent examples.
umm most lite ones arent the full game?
BFizzzle is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 05:05 PM   #60
TacticalDesire
macrumors 68020
 
TacticalDesire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Michigan
The amount of misinformation spread around about android is equal to that spread around about the iPhone, if not more so. And all the hype around the s3 is justified. It's a great phone. The iPhone had its time to shine, and now it's someone else's turn. Nothing lasts forever. Not sure why its ok for hype to be generated around apple products, but not ok for other manufacturers. This is from someone who uses iOS as their daily driver.
TacticalDesire is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 05:20 PM   #61
iHailCarlo
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
I know what you mean OP. Even on this website live many Apple haters. I always have corrected people on Apple products, some turn out good others bad and mad.
iHailCarlo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 05:24 PM   #62
hgrimberg
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
How can I install an iphone rom on my Motorola Startack? I am a bit confused...
hgrimberg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 05:28 PM   #63
Prime85
macrumors 6502a
 
Prime85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfunk1122 View Post
Well that is completely off topic. The phone without root is totally capable as a device you just get added functionality and more customization with root. I would say a stock Galaxy S3 and an iPhone 5 are very comparable. Which ever one suits the individual better would be a fine choice.
That's not true, I have both the SIII and the iPhone 5. With the SIII it starts running fine for the first week and then it starts to slow down and I always had to clear the memory. It didn't start running great until I rooted it and installed CM10. I agree they are both good devices but the SIII is not a good device unless it is rooted and a custom rom is installed.
Prime85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 05:33 PM   #64
gfunk1122
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
I am just saying for the average consumer the phone is better than most anything they have ever used. I ran stock for about a week and my phone did not slow down and I had roughly 100 apps downloaded. Obviously it was faster and "cooler" per say once rooted but it was fine nonetheless. Don't get me started on "Droids." They are in a whole other level and I don't mean that in a good way. Lol.
gfunk1122 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 05:40 PM   #65
hgrimberg
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Well, but the Droids have a keyboard and the iphones dont. If you use the phone for work, you better have a bb or a Droid. Iphones are great for gamers. I cant understand why a gamer will buy an android. The touch screen experience on an android is painfull in comparison with that of the iphone.
hgrimberg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 05:46 PM   #66
bfederspill
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
After having Android phones for years I decided to buy an iPhone (3s) to see if I would like it. After 2 months I sold it to my sister and went back to my Droid 1 because of the lack of features that iPhone had. The lack of a microphone for texting and emailing drove me nuts (I hate typing) also having to wait until I got home to plug it into my computer just to delete a photo that I received from an email was a little much. The back button, the widgets and such was what I was used to with my android phone.
I'm sure the iPhone 5 is a great phone from what I've seen through friends of mine who have one but I don't see myself ever going back to an iPhone. I now have a Razr Maxx which is the best phone I've ever had.
It's all about personal preference and what is right for you. I've recommended Android phones and iPhones to my family and friends who asked me which they should get, it's all about what you want out of your phone.
Just my 2.
bfederspill is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 06:07 PM   #67
aerok
macrumors 65816
 
aerok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgrimberg View Post
Well, but the Droids have a keyboard and the iphones dont. If you use the phone for work, you better have a bb or a Droid. Iphones are great for gamers. I cant understand why a gamer will buy an android. The touch screen experience on an android is painfull in comparison with that of the iphone.
Huh? What touch screen experience? Are you comparing a $100 Chinese no brand name tablet to your iPhone?

If anything, gamers should go for Android... With the modern Androids, they can play NES, Genesis, SNES, GBA, N64 and PSX using a USB/Bluetooth gamepad.

----------

I usually always suggest the iPhone to my friends. The iPhone 5 is the only I cannot bring myself to suggest. I just tell them to go for the 4S. Those that should/really want to get the Android don't need advice and they won't have the iPhone as an option most of the time.
__________________
Kangmlee Photography Blog
Macbook Pro 13 Mid-2009 - Macbook Pro Retina 15 Mid 2014) - iPhone 5S - iPad Air
aerok is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 06:08 PM   #68
BaldiMac
macrumors 604
 
BaldiMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerok View Post
If anything, gamers should go for Android... With the modern Androids, they can play NES, Genesis, SNES, GBA, N64 and PSX using a USB/Bluetooth gamepad.
Android is for Gamers because it's easier to pirate stuff! I'm surprised Google hasn't promoted that slogan yet.
BaldiMac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 06:09 PM   #69
aerok
macrumors 65816
 
aerok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaldiMac View Post
Android is for Gamers because it's easier to pirate stuff! I'm surprised Google hasn't promoted that slogan yet.
No because there is a bigger library... A lot of people pirate apps/games on the iPhone too.
__________________
Kangmlee Photography Blog
Macbook Pro 13 Mid-2009 - Macbook Pro Retina 15 Mid 2014) - iPhone 5S - iPad Air
aerok is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 06:14 PM   #70
BaldiMac
macrumors 604
 
BaldiMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerok View Post
No because there is a bigger library...
Way to backtrack. iOS has more and better legitimate games available.

Quote:
A lot of people pirate apps/games on the iPhone too.
Cool story. You were the one that suggested that Android is better for gamers because it was easier to pirate games.
BaldiMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 06:15 PM   #71
aerok
macrumors 65816
 
aerok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaldiMac View Post
Way to backtrack. iOS has more and better legitimate games available.



Cool story. You were the one that suggested that Android is better for gamers because it was easier to pirate games.
When did I ever suggest that? Using ROMs is not always pirating. Don't put words in my mouth.
__________________
Kangmlee Photography Blog
Macbook Pro 13 Mid-2009 - Macbook Pro Retina 15 Mid 2014) - iPhone 5S - iPad Air

Last edited by dejo; Dec 3, 2012 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Name-calling.
aerok is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 06:22 PM   #72
DodgeV83
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy James View Post
I love my iPhone. It does everything I need.

Many of my coworkers have migrated to Android and they CAN do things the iPhone cannot. Direct phone to phone wifi transfer of files/media is great. I wish I could participate.
A bunch of apps can do that on iOS. Check out File Explorer (they also have a free version)

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fileexplorer/id499470113?mt=8
DodgeV83 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 06:23 PM   #73
BaldiMac
macrumors 604
 
BaldiMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerok View Post
When did I ever suggest that? Using ROMs is not always pirating. Don't put words in my mouth.
Of course it is. Again, your just backtracking.
BaldiMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 06:25 PM   #74
aerok
macrumors 65816
 
aerok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaldiMac View Post
Of course it is. Again, your just backtracking.
How am I backtracking? When did I ever say Android is better for gamers because it is easier to pirate?

Typical BaldiMac, always doing your best to shoot down anything that is not Apple.
__________________
Kangmlee Photography Blog
Macbook Pro 13 Mid-2009 - Macbook Pro Retina 15 Mid 2014) - iPhone 5S - iPad Air
aerok is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 06:25 PM   #75
TacticalDesire
macrumors 68020
 
TacticalDesire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaldiMac View Post
Of course it is. Again, your just backtracking.
Lean what a ROM is, learn what pirating is, and learn to stay out of topics you know nothing about. Using ROMS is not always piracy.

Last edited by maflynn; Dec 4, 2012 at 06:44 AM. Reason: Removed insult
TacticalDesire is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Touch 5 Misinformation Plutonius iPod touch 7 Nov 26, 2013 09:50 PM
Game Cheat for iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPod touch (3rd generation) Mjasa iPhone and iPod touch Apps 0 Sep 14, 2013 08:25 AM
Lost storage on SSD and misinformation enisala MacBook Air 16 Jun 30, 2013 10:27 AM
The Truth About Android (Misinformation) w00t951 Wasteland 184 Jul 17, 2012 08:12 AM
Misinformation from Apple about RMBP? Nd1993 MacBook Pro 2 Jun 13, 2012 07:01 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:34 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC