Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

razzydazzle99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2011
Hi everybody. I'm looking for how I can go about gifting a phone to a family member. I have tried to educate myself about how to do this but I'm still quite confused. I've been reading about non-contract phones, unlocked phones, SIM cards, and it is all quite confusing for me. I am good at following directions though, so I'm going to rely on you guys.

The gist: I'm on Verizon, I use an I5 I got subsidized on my plan. I want to get an I5 for a family member. This person is NOT on my plan, has a dumb phone, and is on Verizon.

Let's assume they have no upgrades, etc, and I am going to pay retail for the phone and give to them, and have them activate it on their line.

How should I go about doing this? Are there any that can be unboxed and just activate on their line on the spot?

Thanks everyone

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
If this is a "very close" family members you could set the person into your family plan.

However, if this person doesn't live with you, not your immediate kin, keeping things separate is usually a better idea, meaning let them sign up with whoever carrier they desire.

Now, CAREFUL. We all know the purchase of a smart phone is not the end of the expense. The Cost-Of-Ownership of a smart phone and the on-going monthly bill is actually the biggest cost. So if you are gifting this phone to a cousin, make sure their parents approve of this, else the parents may feel they are being pushed into subsidizing the phone's expense by you, not your intention am sure.

razzydazzle99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2011
If this is a "very close" family members you could set the person into your family plan.

However, if this person doesn't live with you, not your immediate kin, keeping things separate is usually a better idea, meaning let them sign up with whoever carrier they desire.

Now, CAREFUL. We all know the purchase of a smart phone is not the end of the expense. The Cost-Of-Ownership of a smart phone and the on-going monthly bill is actually the biggest cost. So if you are gifting this phone to a cousin, make sure their parents approve of this, else the parents may feel they are being pushed into subsidizing the phone's expense by you, not your intention am sure.

Person does not live with me and we will never be on the same plans. The person is currently on Verizon and will be staying with Verizon for the long time foreseeable future.

This person is an adult. The person is more than willing to front the additional few bucks a month for an iphone.

Assume everything else is true, and that the only thing they cannot do is purchase one, which I am doing for them.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Can't you buy them SIM free or without contract over there?

Here we just get given the iPhone in a sealed box and activate it at home, regardless of whether it comes with a contract.

Vudoo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2008
Dallas Metroplex
Just goto the Apple store and tell them you want an off contract iPhone 5. If there is no Apple store, order it online. And when the person receives their gift, they can just call Verizon or goto a Verizon store to activate it. It's that simple. The hard part is choosing color and capacity. :)

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
Just goto the Apple store and tell them you want an off contract iPhone 5. If there is no Apple store, order it online. And when the person receives their gift, they can just call Verizon or goto a Verizon store to activate it. It's that simple. The hard part is choosing color and capacity. :)

this.. or get them a gift card?

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008

This is what I would do (and assume this is how my GF got me the 2G as a gift). Alternatively, you could give them a picture or something of the phone and go with them to make the purchase so that they can get all the details out themselves when making the purchase. Good luck, it's a great gift to give!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.