Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mactabulous

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 23, 2011
In Pages, when I write papers for school, I like to list my different headings and subheadings in a particular fashion. For example:

1. Main heading

1.1. Subheading

1.2. Subheading

1.2.1. Sub subheading

1.2.2. Sub subheading

2. Main heading

…and so on and so forth, in a structurally logical fashion, so to speak.

Is there any way to automate this process in Pages? Creating styles for headings and subheadings is no big deal. The question is how do I get lists to number the headings properly? I've always been doing this manually. It works, but it's a pain in the you-know-where if and when I decide to swap things around, and thereby having to swap the numbers manually as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Kaelbron

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2011
I would also like to know because I have an in-depth project that I want to finish. I have been told that it will be just as thread creator wants it.

Main Title 1
under heading 1.1
under heading 1.2, etc.

Then I want all the subheads numbered so it only says so in the table of contents. Anyone have an idea how to do this in the pages? I have searched and spent lots of hours to figure out how to go about it. I would be extremely and terribly grateful if someone could help me and also the others who read this.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
Don't use manual numbers! :eek:

Create a Header style that you want your header to be in. Go to the Text > List tab in the Inspector. Specify Tiered Numbers with the type of numbering you want. Then click on "Continue from Previous".
Save the header style.

Then all you have to do is specify the indent level for each header, to define where the increment occurs, e.g. 1.2.3, 1.2.4 or 1.3.

There are already some List Style in the Style drawer that you can experiment with.

Kaelbron

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2011
Don't use manual numbers! :eek:

Create a Header style that you want your header to be in. Go to the Text > List tab in the Inspector. Specify Tiered Numbers with the type of numbering you want. Then click on "Continue from Previous".
Save the header style.

Then all you have to do is specify the indent level for each header, to define where the increment occurs, e.g. 1.2.3, 1.2.4 or 1.3.

There are already some List Style in the Style drawer that you can experiment with.

It's not quite what I meant, but I want to have that kind of points on underrubikerna instead of the stand which side it is on. Eg if I want 3.2 so it means that there are other under the heading of the chapter. It should stand on the right side.

I myself think this is really stupid but I had to have it so for my school.

Besides, I do not get to pagination as I want. Know that there is a preference to not face getting any numbers but how can I not get it on the last page? I was going to have it as an attachment may template we've followed have no page numbers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.