Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography

Old Dec 3, 2012, 03:52 AM   #1
Steve-F
macrumors member

Low powered flash recommendation?

Hope someone can help with a cheap option?

I occasionally find I'm shooting in low light with a fast lens (f1.8) and high ISO but just want a little bit of off camera flash to highlight my subject (I do want to keep some of the available light). I have an old Metz flash that's great for other situations but is way too strong for this .... and I can't dial it down - it's lowest setting is f4 at ISO200. I have a wireless trigger that works off the hot shoe.
I use both a Nikon DSLR and a Canon DSLR.

Thanks for any recommendations??

Steve.
Steve-F is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 04:08 AM   #2
ijohn.8.80
macrumors 65816

The cheapest I could find for you is this Yongnuo YN460-II. They have others that go up in price from there and up in regard of features too. It should work on both your Canon & Nikon & your wireless hotshoe trigger too.

You could always use a universal diffuser softbox attachment on your current flash for a few buck$.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 04:24 AM   #3
Steve-F
macrumors member

Thanks for the quick reply. That looks a very neat little unit!
Although I'm struggling to work out how low I can turn it down?? I'm thinking I'll need to have something that will work in Manual at a very small fraction of it's full power. I'll search for the manual on-line.

Many thanks.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 04:53 AM   #4
ijohn.8.80
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-F View Post
Thanks for the quick reply. That looks a very neat little unit!
Although I'm struggling to work out how low I can turn it down?? I'm thinking I'll need to have something that will work in Manual at a very small fraction of it's full power. I'll search for the manual on-line.

Many thanks.
Just found out it is a full manual flash, it has no TTL support. For your purpose as an off camera fill, it should be adequate.

A good review with full tech. spec's is here. It says that it has the following power settings:
1/1 – 1/2 – 1/4 – 1/8 – 1/16 – 1/32 – 1/64

Hope this helps.

Last edited by ijohn.8.80; Dec 3, 2012 at 05:12 AM.
ijohn.8.80 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 11:10 AM   #5
Edge100
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Hope someone can help with a cheap option?

I occasionally find I'm shooting in low light with a fast lens (f1.8) and high ISO but just want a little bit of off camera flash to highlight my subject (I do want to keep some of the available light). I have an old Metz flash that's great for other situations but is way too strong for this .... and I can't dial it down - it's lowest setting is f4 at ISO200. I have a wireless trigger that works off the hot shoe.
I use both a Nikon DSLR and a Canon DSLR.

Thanks for any recommendations??

Steve.
If you're getting f/4 ISO200 with your current flash, you could just move it twice as far away from the subject, and you'd get f/2.

Just a thought, before you go spending money on new gear.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 12:35 PM   #6
snberk103
macrumors 603

Or pop a neutral density gel over the flash. These gels are used extensively in the film business. If you a pro rental shop or supply shop in your area ask them for sample. It's the perfect size to fit over most flash heads. Otherwise you may need to order a full sheet. It's not expensive, and you may find some interesting uses for it. Heck, you could cut it down and sell flash ND sheets at a camera club and make back your cost.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 05:33 PM   #7
Laird Knox
macrumors 65816

I have several of the YN460-IIs and they are excellent manual flashes. Setting the power is as simple as pushing up and down buttons.

The only thing that tripped me up at first was changing modes (M, S1, S2). Each mode has it's own power setting. So if you set M to say 1/8 power and then switch to S1 (optical slave) it defaults back to 1/64. Not a big deal but it caught me off guard.

The original 460-IIs had a plastic foot but they have since upgraded to a metal foot. Unfortunately I broke one of the plastic ones but I shouldn't have dropped the strobe in the first place.
Laird Knox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 01:59 AM   #8
Steve-F
macrumors member

Thanks for all the advice and comments.
Unfortunately my old Metz is in auto mode when I quoted f4 at 200 ISO - so moving it further away or adding ND would only result in it increasing it's power to compensate. When you switch it to manual it only works at full power. I can't complain as I've had 15 years of good service out of the Metz (and it's still great)!
I'll probably go for the Yongnuo as it's manual and I could adjust as suggested with distance and/or ND filters (I knew that swatch of Lee filters in my bottom drawer would come in some day!!).

Steve
Old Dec 5, 2012, 10:48 AM   #9
Laird Knox
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I'll probably go for the Yongnuo as it's manual and I could adjust as suggested with distance and/or ND filters (I knew that swatch of Lee filters in my bottom drawer would come in some day!!).

Steve
You can also reduce the Yungnuo down to 1/64 power. Then move it if that still isn't enough.
Laird Knox is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography