Thunderbolt Display or Apple Cinema Display - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 3, 2012, 08:57 AM   #1
BRyken
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Thunderbolt Display or Apple Cinema Display

So I've ordered my 2012 Mac Mini, should be here Wednesday!

I'd like to also purchase either a Thunderbolt Display or Apple Cinema Display 27". The question I have is which to get? Right now I don't have any Thunderbolt storage/devices, but obviously in the future this may be something I get. I'd like to remain some what future proof (no such thing), at least for a while which is why I'm leaning towards a TBD.

The panels used between the two are the exact same, but I could probably find a ACD for much cheaper (and can). Both I'd like to buy used, I see TBD going for 800-850 and ACD from 600-700.

Curious what you guys think?
__________________
Mac Mini 2.7GHz i7 16GB RAM Fusion Drive | 27" Thunderbolt Display | Seagate Backup Plus 3TB USB 3.0|16 GB Black iPhone 5
BRyken is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 09:46 AM   #2
Weaselboy
macrumors G5
 
Weaselboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
If you can swing it, I would get the TBD. Even if you have no TB devices now, the integrated USB ports, ethernet, and speakers are a nice feature.

I use my TBD attached to a MacBook Air and it works quite well.
Weaselboy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 10:03 AM   #3
BRyken
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Yea. See it makes a ton of sense if you are using a MacBook Pro/Air, because you can connect all your peripherals to the monitor, and just have the TB and power to connect to dock your Mac.

But in the Mac Mini case, I'm not moving it around constantly, so unplugging things all the time isn't necessary.

A concern with going with the ACD is taking up the TB port. Are there HDMI-MiniDisplay port adapters to connect these two. Would there be any performance hit because of this.
__________________
Mac Mini 2.7GHz i7 16GB RAM Fusion Drive | 27" Thunderbolt Display | Seagate Backup Plus 3TB USB 3.0|16 GB Black iPhone 5
BRyken is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 10:37 AM   #4
Weaselboy
macrumors G5
 
Weaselboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRyken View Post
Are there HDMI-MiniDisplay port adapters to connect these two. Would there be any performance hit because of this.
I have seen this from Kanex, but I think it is more made for use an Apple display with an XBox or similar. I'm not sure if it would work with a Mini. Maybe call Kanex?

With the cabling and cost of this though, you are sure eating into any savings by getting the ACD.
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 11:11 AM   #5
BRyken
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Yea that's a good point. Didn't realize those would be so expensive.
__________________
Mac Mini 2.7GHz i7 16GB RAM Fusion Drive | 27" Thunderbolt Display | Seagate Backup Plus 3TB USB 3.0|16 GB Black iPhone 5
BRyken is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 11:13 AM   #6
Weaselboy
macrumors G5
 
Weaselboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRyken View Post
Yea that's a good point. Didn't realize those would be so expensive.
I have seen other posts here from forum members using the Dell IPS displays. That might be an even less expensive option for you.
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 11:17 AM   #7
Dr Charter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
I have seen other posts here from forum members using the Dell IPS displays. That might be an even less expensive option for you.
Those Dells are really nice for the money. I'll admit that I went with the ATD for the little Apple logo on the front more than anything else. The extra ports are nice but the mini already has ethernet and firewire, so those features aren't as useful if you're not docking an Air or rMPB.
Dr Charter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 11:34 AM   #8
BRyken
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
I have seen other posts here from forum members using the Dell IPS displays. That might be an even less expensive option for you.
Yea, I was looking at these two. They look really nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Charter View Post
Those Dells are really nice for the money. I'll admit that I went with the ATD for the little Apple logo on the front more than anything else. The extra ports are nice but the mini already has ethernet and firewire, so those features aren't as useful if you're not docking an Air or rMPB.
I have to kind of agree with this. The TBD/ACD is expensive, but I really like the design, especially without the iMac chin. This is also why I'm looking to buy used.
__________________
Mac Mini 2.7GHz i7 16GB RAM Fusion Drive | 27" Thunderbolt Display | Seagate Backup Plus 3TB USB 3.0|16 GB Black iPhone 5
BRyken is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 11:41 AM   #9
cyclotron451
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Europe
The ACD and TB displays are due for a silent USB3 makeover or a more radical iMac-like anorexia hit. I guess that the ACD is close to EOL, maybe the new display will be released with the eventual 2013 MacPro update?

I have the 27" cinema display at work and it is stunning, but for home I chose a Dell 24" eIPS.
cyclotron451 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 11:43 AM   #10
Mojo1
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Neither.

The TB display is an over-priced Thunderbolt hub. It's glossy screen and lack of any ergonomic adjustments except for a bit of tilt (which will come in handy to ease those nasty reflections from overhead lighting...) are deal-killers for me.

Take a look at NEC displays: Over 50 models, excellent quality, full ergonomic adjustments and a free four-year warranty. Top-notch customer service too.

The TB display is like the iMac: a testament to Apple's current obsession with form over function. I'm sure that Apple will sell a ton of them to people who value looks over features that are important if you spend all day actually working with a Mac.
Mojo1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 01:49 PM   #11
Weaselboy
macrumors G5
 
Weaselboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo1 View Post
Neither.

The TB display is an over-priced Thunderbolt hub. It's glossy screen and lack of any ergonomic adjustments except for a bit of tilt (which will come in handy to ease those nasty reflections from overhead lighting...) are deal-killers for me.

Take a look at NEC displays: Over 50 models, excellent quality, full ergonomic adjustments and a free four-year warranty. Top-notch customer service too.

The TB display is like the iMac: a testament to Apple's current obsession with form over function. I'm sure that Apple will sell a ton of them to people who value looks over features that are important if you spend all day actually working with a Mac.
Below are the only two monitors NEC sells that are 27" and 1560x1440. I would hardly call the TB display overpriced compared to these two. Now if you want smaller and lower res. and without an IPS display, no doubt there are many many cheaper options. But if you want to compare similar specs the TB display is not really that out of line on price. A Dell with the same specs as the TB Display is still $799.

If you don't care for the look or features of the TB Display, that is a personal choice... but I don't really think it is far off when comparing to other brands with the same specs.

Thumb resize.
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 02:24 PM   #12
Edde1
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
I use my mini 2012 with acd 27. Got it refurb for a good price. Damn its a good monitor worth the money. I have just a queation if someone know. When i look at a white page the monitor seams to have a yellow tind in the bottom part. If i tilt the the display and look from anothet angle its good. When i look at pictures or other colors i dont see any difference. Sorry for bad spelling
Edde1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 03:55 PM   #13
Jimpats
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2010
Talking Refurbished ATB

Apple Store has refurbished TB for $829 with one year warranty, and if you are purchasing Apple Care for Mac Mini and purchase ATB/ACD display on same receipt as Mac Mini, it is also covered with 3 years AC under Mac Mini. This gives you best of both worlds. Cheaper price for a good display. Also if you go thru ShopDiscover and use your discover card you can get 5% cash back also.

I just completed that purchase today.
Jimpats is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 04:47 PM   #14
chrise2
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
I got the Thunderbolt display. Its a super nice monitor. Like super duper nice. Yeah its $1000, but when you look at other monitors with the same size / resolution / IPS, its not so horrendously overpriced. It compliments the mini nicely as it gives you better speakers and the iSight camera.

It would be cool if those were USB 3 ports on the back, but I'll get over it. Doesn't matter with the mini much. however, if i replace the mini with a Macbook, that might bother me a bit.
chrise2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 05:57 PM   #15
Dduval
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Good grief! The reviews at apples site are terrible on the TBD, wasn't expecting that as I was really thinking of getting one.
__________________
------------------------------------------------
2011 27" iMac 3.1ghz 256gb SSD, iPad Air, iPad 2, iPad 3, iPhone 4,
iPod Touch, iPod mini.
Dduval is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 11:43 AM   #16
Mojo1
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
You (Don't) Get What You Pay For...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
Below are the only two monitors NEC sells that are 27" and 1560x1440. I would hardly call the TB display overpriced compared to these two. Now if you want smaller and lower res. and without an IPS display, no doubt there are many many cheaper options. But if you want to compare similar specs the TB display is not really that out of line on price. A Dell with the same specs as the TB Display is still $799.

If you don't care for the look or features of the TB Display, that is a personal choice... but I don't really think it is far off when comparing to other brands with the same specs.

Thumb resize.
Yes, it's my personal choice... just like your opinion is your personal choice.

I was very specific in my previous post why I do not care for Apple's Thunderbolt display. Display specifications vs. cost is not the only consideration when comparing monitors. I do not mind paying more for a higher-quality product.

Many of the posts from TB display fans laud its looks. Yes, it is a typical pretty Apple design. If that is an important factor for you when selecting the TB display it is certainly your prerogative to do so.
Mojo1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 03:28 PM   #17
BRyken
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
So I ended up opting for the Thunderbolt Display. I found one locally and talked the guy down to $750, and its only 5 weeks old. Can't beat that!

Love it so far!
__________________
Mac Mini 2.7GHz i7 16GB RAM Fusion Drive | 27" Thunderbolt Display | Seagate Backup Plus 3TB USB 3.0|16 GB Black iPhone 5
BRyken is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 03:34 PM   #18
majkom
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2011
As about kanex: it works with acd, does not work with atd
majkom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 05:19 PM   #19
chrise2
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Yeah, the TB display is awesome. My only complaint is that I wish it had a video input other than Thunderbolt. If it could accept regular Display Port or DVI or something, they'd probably sell a lot more of these. I also looked all over and I can't find any kind of device that would convert the signal to something the TB display can take. Guess I'm locked into Apple for a while. Or I guess I sell the screen and mini if it ever came to that. I love that display though. I also saw a 13" retina MB Pro which is higher res than the 27" display. That looked sick. Now I want a 27" retina display. I'm sure that would be cheap.
chrise2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 11:48 AM   #20
Weaselboy
macrumors G5
 
Weaselboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRyken View Post
So I ended up opting for the Thunderbolt Display. I found one locally and talked the guy down to $750, and its only 5 weeks old. Can't beat that!

Love it so far!
That is a great deal you got.
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 10:27 PM   #21
sunandsurf
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
That is a great deal you got.
Damn you, KHAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
sunandsurf is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thunderbolt Display + LED Cinema display with hub mgartner0622 Mac Peripherals 7 Apr 27, 2014 11:39 AM
24" cinema display - Thunderbolt Display - rMBP Gonzo3333 Mac Peripherals 3 Apr 28, 2013 05:13 AM
Mac Mini --> Thunderbolt Display --> Cinema Display. possible? Hessel Mac mini 3 Feb 19, 2013 07:13 AM
Mac Mini + Thunderbolt Display + LaCie little big disk + 27 Cinema Display Drharrington Mac mini 14 Feb 5, 2013 06:40 PM
Will I be able to connect RMBP to Thunderbolt Display AND a Cinema Display? gusnyc MacBook Pro 3 Jun 25, 2012 01:37 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:52 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC