Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jasonbaum

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 11, 2007
Arlington VA
I just ran into a little scenario and I wanted to see how other people felt about the issue.

A newbie posted a link without HTM tags so you have to cut and paste into a browser window.

I figured, since he was a newbie, I'd send him a quick PM with instructions on how to use composition toolbar to insert a hot link.

When I tried to send the PM, I received an error message that the user had opted out of receiving private messages.

So here I am...I spent a whole six minutes of my incredibly valuable time :rolleyes: to help a newbie, and therefore improve the overall quality of the forum.

My immediate thought was: it would have been nice if there was a flag that warned me not to PM him. (Perhaps there is and I just missed it or neglected to check before hand. In either event, I think my workflow was pretty straightforward and it wasn't until after I had written my epistle that I learned it was all for nought.)

Second thought: Not too long ago I was a newbie and it took me a while to figure out the nuances of posting reader-friendly messages...between quotes, uploads, links to pix and URLs...I wonder if the forums would benefit from a tutorial...perhaps something that earned newbies message credits toward the next tier of membership...If there's already one, I throw myself on the mercy of the forum. As I said..."Not too long ago I was a newbie".

Cheers!

JB

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
PMs are disabled until a member has 5 posts and has been a member for one day - that's why you couldn't PM them.

It's to prevent people from signing up and sending out PM spam messages.

jasonbaum

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 11, 2007
Arlington VA
PMs are disabled until a member has 5 posts and has been a member for one day - that's why you couldn't PM them.

It's to prevent people from signing up and sending out PM spam messages.

So much to learn and so little time...but there is a option to disable PMs from fellow members I think?

Thanks for the insight btw...I still think a small tutorial might serve the forum well regardless. JMO

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
I think maybe what you're asking for is already there.

This section of the FAQ lets members know that PMs are only enabled after a member has five posts.

In this section of the FAQ there's a link to a page that explains the various tags.

Is that the sort of thing you meant?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.