Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Dec 3, 2012, 10:13 AM   #1
Izzybeff
macrumors member

Hell has frozen over... switching to a Mac

and my husband is considering switching to a Mac for his work computer.

I need help with recommendations on what we should get him. He thinks he does a lot on his computer, but really, he doesn't. He basically uses it for the internet, microsoft word and excel.

He has a regular desktop right now so has a monitor & keyboard. I have a Macbook Pro myself and have never really done any research on desktops because I needed a laptop.

So what would you recommend?
Izzybeff is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 10:18 AM   #2
Charcoalwerks
macrumors regular

Baseline Mini and an Apple keyboard.
http://www.apple.com/mac-mini/
Charcoalwerks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 10:19 AM   #3
GimmeSlack12
macrumors 603

I just have to say it... if you are using mainly MS Word and Excel (especially Excel) then just stick with MS Windows. MS Office for Mac is not good, especially Excel!

You can always use Bootcamp to run Windows, so that is always an option, but do a little searching and you'll find most people agree with what I'm saying. I use Windows for work, and Mac at home.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 10:25 AM   #4
Izzybeff
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GimmeSlack12 View Post
I just have to say it... if you are using mainly MS Word and Excel (especially Excel) then just stick with MS Windows. MS Office for Mac is not good, especially Excel!

You can always use Bootcamp to run Windows, so that is always an option, but do a little searching and you'll find most people agree with what I'm saying. I use Windows for work, and Mac at home.
I use Microsoft office on my mac all the time and have absolutely zero problems on it. I would just like to switch him a mac so he'll stop moaning and complaining about how bad his PC is.
Izzybeff is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 10:29 AM   #5
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzybeff View Post
I use Microsoft office on my mac all the time and have absolutely zero problems on it. I would just like to switch him a mac so he'll stop moaning and complaining about how bad his PC is.
LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charcoalwerks View Post
Baseline Mini and an Apple keyboard.
http://www.apple.com/mac-mini/
This.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 10:31 AM   #6
Fishrrman
macrumors 601

"I use Microsoft office on my mac all the time and have absolutely zero problems on it. I would just like to switch him a mac so he'll stop moaning and complaining about how bad his PC is."

If he has a halfway-decent monitor right now, and he has a keyboard and mouse that he likes, you might consider a Mac Mini.

Someone earlier said "entry-level" Mini, but I'd suggest the "mid-range" version. You probably _don't_ need the fusion drive. Get the minimum amount of RAM (4gb) and add more yourself (8 should be your minimum).

I would NOT recommend either the Apple keyboard or mouse UNLESS your husband has personally tried them and thinks he can use them. They are VERY different from a standard keyboard (which has sculpted keys designed for touch-typists).
Fishrrman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 10:33 AM   #7
PosterNutbag.
macrumors newbie

This may come off like a flame but it's not meant as a flame:

It always cracks me up how we diminish each other's computing needs... and even our own when we try to justify spending less money.

I agree on the mini.
PosterNutbag. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 10:55 AM   #8
Izzybeff
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterNutbag. View Post
This may come off like a flame but it's not meant as a flame:

It always cracks me up how we diminish each other's computing needs... and even our own when we try to justify spending less money.

I agree on the mini.
Oh I would spend more money if he needed it, he just doesn't. The mini is what I was thinking, thanks for the confirmation everyone!
Izzybeff is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 12:00 PM   #9
designs216
macrumors 65816

For his needs, you could take the previous Mini suggestion one step further and buy a machine from the refurb bin. I see this as the cheapest way to transition him to an OSX environment and silence the whine.
designs216 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 12:28 PM   #10
j.applewood
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GimmeSlack12 View Post
This is a strange comment and false. They're presented differently on Mac but the functionality is identical.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 01:20 PM   #11
paulrbeers
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.applewood View Post
This is a strange comment and false. They're presented differently on Mac but the functionality is identical.
Actually, Excel for Mac is still not as good as the PC version, especially if you do massive calculations since Excel for Mac is still single threaded. This can cause some of massive calcs to take 2-3 times longer on Mac. I deal with it though. Sometimes I go get a coffee or soda while waiting.
Mac Pro 1,1 w/ 8 cores @ 2.66 w/ 240GB SSD
paulrbeers is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice