Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland

Closed Thread

Old Dec 3, 2012, 09:42 AM   #1
Spungoflex
macrumors regular

Completely Absurd That There Is No Fusion Drive Option For Entry Level iMac

Guess I'll be waiting at least another 500 days (probably longer) before I order an iMac. How completely absurd that apple forces you to pay $1749 for an SSD option. How do the people running this company look themselves in the mirror with these cartoonish decisions?

Stuff like this puts me off the apple brand as a whole. It's absurd.
Spungoflex is offline   7
Old Dec 3, 2012, 09:46 AM   #2
tann
macrumors 65816

Then don't buy one?

They've always done this, maybe you should look elsewhere for your computing needs.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 09:52 AM   #3
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spungoflex View Post
Guess I'll be waiting at least another 500 days (probably longer) before I order an iMac. How completely absurd that apple forces you to pay $1749 for an SSD option. How do the people running this company look themselves in the mirror with these cartoonish decisions?

Get emotional much? It's quite common (not just in the computer industry) for "entry level" products to not have the same upgrade options as "higher end" products. The same has been true in the auto industry for decades.
GGJstudios is offline   3
Old Dec 3, 2012, 09:53 AM   #4
chris1987
macrumors member

If you want Fusion Drive, then pay for it.

Last edited by stridemat; Dec 3, 2012 at 03:40 PM. Reason: cleanup
chris1987 is offline   3
Old Dec 3, 2012, 09:55 AM   #5
obsoletepower
macrumors regular

Quote:

It is not absurd, it is business. Also, it is an entry level computer for a reason. When you go out and buy a base model car, do you have all the options available to you for that model? No. You need to upgrade to the luxury model if you want to have some of the luxury options available. If you are buying an entry level computer then you are most likely budget-conscious and generally most of those people will not add expensive upgrades to a budget-conscious machine. Hence, it is excluded it from the configuration options.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 09:59 AM   #6
Spungoflex
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
Get emotional much? It's quite common (not just in the computer industry) for "entry level" products to not have the same upgrade options as "higher end" products. The same has been true in the auto industry for decades.
The only thing more absurd than apple's marketing strategies is this response.

It is absolutely NOT common to force customer to pay $1800 for a desktop with a SSD. It is completely absurd. It's a joke. It's the exact opposite of "common".

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsoletepower View Post
It is not absurd, it is business. Also, it is an entry level computer for a reason. When you go out and buy a base model car, do you have all the options available to you for that model? No. You need to upgrade to the luxury model if you want to have some of the luxury options available. If you are buying an entry level computer then you are most likely budget-conscious and generally most of those people will not add expensive upgrades to a budget-conscious machine. Hence, it is excluded it from the configuration options.
Is this supposed to be comedy? SSD is a "luxury" item for a $1300 computer in 2012? Are you for real?

No wonder apple disrespects their customer base. They truly don't care about you because they know you will literally buy anything they release, no matter how outdated or substandard.
Spungoflex is offline   9
Old Dec 3, 2012, 09:59 AM   #7
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:

It is absolutely NOT common to force customer to pay $1800 for a desktop with a SSD. It is completely absurd. It's a joke. It's the exact opposite of "common".
No one is forcing any customer to pay anything. You have the freedom to buy what you want. If you don't like the price of a particular product, you have the freedom to buy something else. Whining about it isn't exactly a demonstration of maturity.

Apple can charge $18,000 for an entry-level Mac mini if they want to. It's up to each consumer to decide if a product is worth the cost for them. If it isn't, buy something else.
GGJstudios is offline   0
Old Dec 3, 2012, 10:00 AM   #8
Roller
macrumors 65816

Quote:

All you're doing here is venting. You'll probably get responses from some who agree with you and more who don't. If that makes you feel better, fine, but it won't affect what Apple does. If you really want the company to hear your voice, contact them directly.
Roller is offline   0
Old Dec 3, 2012, 10:02 AM   #9
obsoletepower
macrumors regular

Quote:

----------

Is this supposed to be comedy? SSD is a "luxury" item for a $1300 computer in 2012? Are you for real?

No wonder apple disrespects their customer base. They truly don't care about you because they know you will literally buy anything they release, no matter how outdated or substandard.
There you go with that "FORCE" nonsense. I repeat, they aren't forcing you to buy anything. It is you that feels the need to do it. You have to look at this and ask yourself if spending the extra money is a worthwhile investment for you. If spending $200 more makes you this upset then maybe this isn't a great investment for you.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 10:03 AM   #10
squan
macrumors member

Quote:
It's not like they're putting a gun to your head while ordering, now is it...

Entry level iMacs are for customers who want a reasonable AIO, just that. They are the kind of customers that skip the whole BTO menu and go straight to the confirmation page.

IMO, as soon as you start looking to get Fusion Drive, the entry level 21,5 inch isn't worth considering at all.
squan is offline   1
Old Dec 3, 2012, 10:04 AM   #11
BaldiMac
macrumors 604

Quote:
Wrong. If you want an imac with an ssd, you are forced to pay over $1800 with taxes. Apple is literally spitting in your face and you are completely fine with it.

Apple is quickly becoming passť in part due to how little they think of their customers.
You should look up the words "forced" and "literally". I don't think they mean what you think they mean.
BaldiMac is offline   2
Old Dec 3, 2012, 10:05 AM   #12
Spungoflex
macrumors regular

Quote:
There you go with that "FORCE" nonsense. I repeat, they aren't forcing you to buy anything. It is you that feels the need to do it. You have to look at this and ask yourself if spending the extra money is a worthwhile investment for you. If spending $200 more makes you this upset then maybe this isn't a great investment for you.
I'll repeat myself. If a consumer wants an imac with an ssd, they are FORCED to pay $1749. That is the cheapest option for an imac with an ssd. Point blank. There is no other way to get one from apple.
Spungoflex is offline   2
Old Dec 3, 2012, 10:07 AM   #13
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Wrong. If you want an imac with an ssd, you are forced to pay over $1800 with taxes. Apple is literally spitting in your face and you are completely fine with it.

Apple is quickly becoming passť in part due to how little they think of their customers.
No, you are not forced to do anything. You can elect to buy a different computer. You can buy a stripped-down iMac and install an aftermarket SSD. You can buy a refurb. You have many options. You're just throwing a childish temper tantrum because big bad Apple doesn't give you what you want, at the price you want it. Welcome to the real world. Yeah, it's obvious how passť Apple is becoming, selling billions of dollars worth of products every year.

I have more bad news: Bentley won't sell you a new Continental GT for $4,000. Let's hear you rant at them for spitting in your face.
GGJstudios is offline   2
Old Dec 3, 2012, 10:08 AM   #14
obsoletepower
macrumors regular

Quote:

----------

First of all when I mentioned luxury I was talking about the car analogy, I didn't say an SSD was a luxury item.

I want you to go right now to any other computer manufacturer and check how many of them offer SSD in their entry level computers, please, I will wait.

Also, if you feel this strongly about Apple, what are you even doing here? Oh, you're ranting...right. If Apple didn't have an influence on you then why are you so upset? There are other brands out there you could buy and in some cases it would be a better purchase.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 10:08 AM   #15
Spungoflex
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by squan View Post
IMO, as soon as you start looking to get Fusion Drive, the entry level 21,5 inch isn't worth considering at all.
That doesn't make any sense. The entry level 21 is virtually indistinguishable from the high-end 21.

Are you saying you need a 27 inch screen to enjoy a SSD?
Spungoflex is offline   3
Old Dec 3, 2012, 10:12 AM   #16
ctdonath
macrumors 65816

SOP. Base model is built to optimize low cost. Presume corners were cut to get the bottom version down to $1300, corners that hinder better upgrades.

And yes, SOP for big-ticket items is a base model makes entry affordable, while upgrades require buying a higher baseline to build on.

And yes, they may very well take advantage of pricing options. It's supply-and-demand business, not a sacrificial friendship. Just because it costs them X to buy & build doesn't mean they shouldn't charge what millions of customers are willing to pay - "a thing is worth only and exactly what another is willing to trade for it".

Between manufacturing costs and customer demand, yes it does make sense for to charge $450 for that upgrade from base model to Fusion drive. You might be put off, but many more will pay it and enjoy the faster CPU & GPU that comes with that upgrade.

If you don't like it, someone else will be happy to sell you the machine of your specs at the price you'll pay. And you'll have to live with not having whatever it is which the iMac you're complaining about has that the other "satisfactory" machine doesn't.
ctdonath is offline   0
Old Dec 3, 2012, 10:13 AM   #17
Spungoflex
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
I have more bad news: Bentley won't sell you a new Continental GT for $4,000. Let's hear you rant at them for spitting in your face.
These analogies are completely ludicrous. I genuinely feel bad for anyone who truly views a SSD drive as some fantastical luxury item only known to the to the ultra-rich. Are we living in 1986? Pretty sure it was 2012 last time I looked at a calendar.

You are comparing a SSD drive that can be bought for $80 to a Bentley.

There is no reason at all for apple to keep the ssd option away from the entry level imac. Zero. Even for apple, it is a 100% pure greed move. It's apple saying "our customers are total idiots and they'll buy anything we give them".

Last edited by stridemat; Dec 3, 2012 at 03:52 PM. Reason: cleanup
Spungoflex is offline   3
Old Dec 3, 2012, 10:15 AM   #18
ctdonath
macrumors 65816

Quote:
That doesn't make any sense. The entry level 21 is virtually indistinguishable from the high-end 21.
'cept you pay another $100 for a faster processor, and $100 for better graphics performance, and get a better baseline which can be upgraded further (Fusion drive, etc). Not unreasonable. Not a huge improvement, but if you want rock-bottom price for that model you'll have to give something up.
ctdonath is offline   0
Old Dec 3, 2012, 10:16 AM   #19
obsoletepower
macrumors regular

Quote:
These analogies are completely ludicrous. I genuinely feel bad for anyone who truly views a SSD drive as some fantastical luxury item only known to the to the ultra-rich. Are we living in 1986? Pretty sure it was 2012 last time I looked at a calendar.

You are comparing a SSD drive that can be bought for $80 to a Bentley. Really? Are you sure you wanna go there?
You can get the $1499 21.5" iMac and configure it with a fusion drive......just save an extra $200 and you will get a better processor, better video card and an option to add your beloved fusion drive. Geez, calm down man, there is always a solution.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 10:17 AM   #20
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
These analogies are completely ludicrous. I genuinely feel bad for anyone who truly views a SSD drive as some fantastical luxury item only known to the to the ultra-rich.
Guess what? A SSD is a luxury item. You don't need a SSD, as a HDD will do the same job, just not as fast. It's not the price; it's the concept. Manufacturers frequently make certain options only available on higher-end models, to encourage people to buy those models.
GGJstudios is offline   0
Old Dec 3, 2012, 10:20 AM   #21
mslide
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Also, it is an entry level computer for a reason.
No Mac is an entry level computer. Even the base model mini is not an entry level computer. If you want an entry level computer, you go to Walmart and pay $400.

The OP has a point. Apple computers are expensive. For the price they charge, one should expect a premium product, even for the base models. It's 2012. SSD are cheap enough. They should come standard on all Macs, with more expensive options being larger SSDs and fusion.
mslide is offline   4
Old Dec 3, 2012, 10:21 AM   #22
BaldiMac
macrumors 604

Quote:
You are already "giving something up" by paying a cartoonish $250 for a 128gb SSD add-on.

I haven't even touched on how embarrassing that is yet (I guess I just did).
So, why not just buy your $80 SSD and be happy?

Or is the $250 about more than just the SSD? Installation, warranty, support, and software do actually have value!
BaldiMac is offline   0
Old Dec 3, 2012, 10:21 AM   #23
kaelell
macrumors 6502

I heard Next year they are releasing the Base model WITH fusion drive ! and it will start at $1749.

But due to popular demand they offer a special option where you can get a $250 rebate and have a normal drive installed instead if you dont need the SSD option.
kaelell is offline   0
Old Dec 3, 2012, 10:35 AM   #24
ctdonath
macrumors 65816

Quote:

You are comparing a SSD drive that can be bought for $80 to a Bentley. Really?
Your whining is completely ludicrous.

An $80 SSD is what, 64GB? That's not even enough to run a MB Air on now. You want one in your 21" iMac? taking up an entire mass-storage bay?

You are comparing a no-name DIY to a flagship Apple AIO. Really?

This is 2012. Desktop computers (heck, most laptops) start at 1TB. The iMac, being an AIO design, understandably has space for just one storage unit. The Fusion drive crams a combined 1TB of SSD + HD into that space, at a reasonable overhead of $250 including sensible profit. It's not just a >$90 128GB SSD, it's one small enough to fit alongside a near-1TB HD. While SSDs are increasing in popularity, they're still pretty darned expensive, with 1TB SSDs running in the $thousands.

We're not quite at 2014 when SSDs will be the norm in large capacities. We're in 2012 when SSDs are affordable in small capacities, and only one company offers a combined single-bay solution auto-caching a 1TB HD thru a 128GB SSD.

----------

Reality check on the automotive analogy:

An oil change on most cars is $25.
An oil change on a Porsche is $250.
For reasons beyond "because they can."
ctdonath is offline   0
Old Dec 3, 2012, 10:36 AM   #25
MeFromHere
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mslide View Post
No Mac is an entry level computer. Even the base model mini is not an entry level computer. If you want an entry level computer, you go to Walmart and pay $400.

The OP has a point. Apple computers are expensive. For the price they charge, one should expect a premium product, even for the base models. It's 2012. SSD are cheap enough. They should come standard on all Macs, with more expensive options being larger SSDs and fusion.
The "premium" part of the Mac is the OS, which Apple has spent billions of dollars developing and which they sell pretty cheaply.

The base 21.5" isn't an entry level computer, it's an entry level Mac. Folks who don't care about the OS probably shouldn't be considering Macs.
MeFromHere is offline   0

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland