Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Dec 3, 2012, 09:50 AM   #1
Andrew83Ga
macrumors regular

Thinking about buying my fiance the iPhone 5...

but she lives in Spain for now and won't be here permanently for another few months.

Could I add a line to my verizon account and explain them the situation to put her line on hold until she gets here? I WILL call them obviously, but just wanted to run it by you guys first, instead of you know, actually calling someone and talking.

Theoretically, I figure that there is a $40 per line, per month fee, and any other charges would fall under my shared plan of 4GB. So if she's not using any data, the most I'd pay extra a month would be the 40 bucks right? Maybe they'd wave that if I explained the situation, but if not, she could use the unlocked phone over there and I'm only out 40 a month? Her hand me down iphone 4 from me is really on it's last legs.

thanks in advance
Andrew83Ga is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 10:03 AM   #2
josh995
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew83Ga View Post
but she lives in Spain for now and won't be here permanently for another few months.

Could I add a line to my verizon account and explain them the situation to put her line on hold until she gets here? I WILL call them obviously, but just wanted to run it by you guys first, instead of you know, actually calling someone and talking.

Theoretically, I figure that there is a $40 per line, per month fee, and any other charges would fall under my shared plan of 4GB. So if she's not using any data, the most I'd pay extra a month would be the 40 bucks right? Maybe they'd wave that if I explained the situation, but if not, she could use the unlocked phone over there and I'm only out 40 a month? Her hand me down iphone 4 from me is really on it's last legs.

thanks in advance
You can do a seasonal suspend for like 10 bucks or something like that. But yeah, the only charge would be the extra 40 bucks a month, plus taxes and regulatory fees.

Why not wait until she gets to the US to add the line? If you put the account on hold, she wouldn't be able to use the phone anyway.
josh995 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 10:11 AM   #3
Andrew83Ga
macrumors regular

well if it's unlocked you can't use it in another country? I'll do the suspend thing I guess yeah. I would wait but she kinda needs a new phone now, and she may not be here for another 3 months
Old Dec 3, 2012, 10:14 AM   #4
josh995
macrumors member

Quote:
well if it's unlocked you can't use it in another country? I'll do the suspend thing I guess yeah. I would wait but she kinda needs a new phone now, and she may not be here for another 3 months
Do you mean you'd send it to her and she'd use it on a network over there, while having the Verizon account here suspended?
josh995 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 02:40 PM   #5
Eric374
macrumors 6502

My advice is to never buy a woman anything electronic and expensive until after the marriage is done. Been burned too many times to keep doing that.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 03:08 PM   #6
Vudoo
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric374 View Post
My advice is to never buy a woman anything electronic and expensive until after the marriage is done. Been burned too many times to keep doing that.
Since it's for his fiancee, that's pretty close to being married.
Vudoo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 03:20 PM   #7
BFizzzle
Banned

Quote:
date better women/buy cheaper gifts
BFizzzle is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 03:26 PM   #8
SnowLeopard2008
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to SnowLeopard2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vudoo View Post
There's still a chance they don't end up married. Although I sincerely hope that doesn't happen. The OP just wants to know if he can suspend service for a few months. A Verizon iPhone 5's SIM card slot is unlocked when you first buy it. He probably wants to add the line, buy the phone and send said phone to his fiance in Spain where she will presumably use it on a GSM carrier/prepaid SIM carrier until she comes back here. In those few months, service is $40 per month which isn't chump change and he probably wants to suspend/hold service but still buy the phone now and all.

I'm pretty sure if you called Verizon and explained to them your situation, you can probably "pre-buy" the phone but start your 2-year contract when your fiance gets back.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 03:40 PM   #9
Eric374
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vudoo View Post
Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. Been there, done that.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 03:42 PM   #10
BFizzzle
Banned

Quote:
you've played horseshoes with hand grenades? sounds intense
BFizzzle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 03:47 PM   #11
iAll
macrumors member

Quote:

Great advice!
iAll is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 03:51 PM   #12
Eric374
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFizzzle View Post
you've played horseshoes with hand grenades? sounds intense
Redheads. Same thing.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 04:14 PM   #13
Vudoo
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
No different then getting married and getting divorced. Been there, done that.
Vudoo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 04:16 PM   #14
Jordan921
macrumors 68030

I understand what you are trying to do and if you are ok with paying the around $40 a month then you should do that so she can have a phone to use before she comes here.
Jordan921 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 04:52 PM   #15
BFizzzle
Banned

Quote:
Redheads. Same thing.
touche
Old Dec 4, 2012, 12:32 AM   #16
Andrew83Ga
macrumors regular

thanks for all the comments and suggestions. To me, $40 isn't a killer if she gets a better phone and I'm done Christmas shopping for her in one fail swoop.

you can trim a micro sim into a usable nano sim correct?
Old Dec 4, 2012, 09:20 AM   #17
BigMcGuire
macrumors 6502

Quote:

thanks in advance
Are you in the USA? Doing a fiancee visa? I did that with my wife (married 11 months now). She was in Peru. I waited till she got out here before buying her an iPhone. Since Verizon charged basically $30/10 mins in Peru I figured it would be better to wait till she got here. So I got her an iPod Touch so at least we could iMessage and Facetime while we waited (forever) for the US Govt. to approve the Fiancee Visa process.

Verizon allows you to halt a line but it's kinda expensive - probably better than paying the $40/mo but not by a lot.

Just make sure she doesn't accidentally turn off airplane mode overseas - insane insane international charges. Hence why I went the iPod Touch route vs buying here and bringing it to her when I went to go get her.

Best of wishes
BigMcGuire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 11:16 AM   #18
BFizzzle
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMcGuire View Post
Are you in the USA? Doing a fiancee visa? I did that with my wife (married 11 months now). She was in Peru. I waited till she got out here before buying her an iPhone. Since Verizon charged basically $30/10 mins in Peru I figured it would be better to wait till she got here. So I got her an iPod Touch so at least we could iMessage and Facetime while we waited (forever) for the US Govt. to approve the Fiancee Visa process.

Verizon allows you to halt a line but it's kinda expensive - probably better than paying the $40/mo but not by a lot.

Just make sure she doesn't accidentally turn off airplane mode overseas - insane insane international charges. Hence why I went the iPod Touch route vs buying here and bringing it to her when I went to go get her.

Best of wishes
you can suspend your line for free (up to 3 months..maybe 2 months) on verizon i think
Old Dec 4, 2012, 11:21 AM   #19
psywzrd
macrumors 68030

Quote:
you can suspend your line for free (up to 3 months..maybe 2 months) on verizon i think
I've been suspending my Verizon line without billing for 2 years now.
psywzrd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 11:33 AM   #20
Jordan921
macrumors 68030

Quote:
thanks for all the comments and suggestions. To me, $40 isn't a killer if she gets a better phone and I'm done Christmas shopping for her in one fail swoop.

you can trim a micro sim into a usable nano sim correct?
Yes you can.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 12:40 PM   #21
BFizzzle
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by psywzrd View Post
I've been suspending my Verizon line without billing for 2 years now.
thats awesome im going to suspend mine now. i have an extra one i used for an upgrade to keep my udp
Old Dec 4, 2012, 04:12 PM   #22
psywzrd
macrumors 68030

Quote:
thats awesome im going to suspend mine now. i have an extra one i used for an upgrade to keep my udp
FYI, I always suspend it online so try to do the same.
psywzrd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 04:20 PM   #23
BFizzzle
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by psywzrd View Post
FYI, I always suspend it online so try to do the same.
will do thanks again hommie
Old Dec 4, 2012, 11:38 PM   #24
YungMoola94
macrumors regular

Why not just add the line when she gets to US?
YungMoola94 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 11:49 PM   #25
siurpeeman
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to siurpeeman
Quote:
Originally Posted by YungMoola94 View Post
Why not just add the line when she gets to US?
he wants to buy her a subsidized iphone for christmas, but he doesn't want to pay for the added line for the few months she's not here.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone