Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Do you believe the next MBP or rMBP will be touch screen? Seems as though all the Windows laptops are making the transition now that we're in a "tablet"-like society. That being said, maybe the next version of OS X will be optimized for touch screen use....

Nov 28, 2010
located
Probably not, as discussed in dozens of threads before that. Tablets are made for touch interaction, notebooks are made for keyboard and mouse/trackboard interaction.

vpro

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2012
we don't change

we always expect technology and the world around us to change for us, while we never change nor open our minds to possibilities for our world. there is so little thrill and excitement in the world these days, so glum and ho-hum chugging away at life, eating all the buffets and punching in all the numbers without thought or reasoning behind it. no imagination and full participation in life.

if we put money in the right hands of the greatest scientists we'd have everything that was right and good for this world, including touch screens that work vertically even, wow, think about that.........

it isn't a stretch of any imagination common ! hahaha !

..thank you..

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
Probably not, as discussed in dozens of threads before that. Tablets are made for touch interaction, notebooks are made for keyboard and mouse/trackboard interaction.

This. Search the forums, this particular horse has been beaten to death multiple times already.

The concensus is that it's a rather stupid concept. Completely unergonomic, imagine holding your arms up for hours on end controlling your computer, your shoulders would be dead after less than 10 minutes since most people are rather out of shape.

minifridge1138

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2010
This. Search the forums, this particular horse has been beaten to death multiple times already.

The concensus is that it's a rather stupid concept. Completely unergonomic, imagine holding your arms up for hours on end controlling your computer, your shoulders would be dead after less than 10 minutes since most people are rather out of shape.

I disagree.

I think if you had a laptop that ONLY had a touch screen, then you're correct. That would get very old, very quickly. Same for iMac, desktop, etc. I don't think I'd even make it 10 minutes.

But if you took a standard MBP (with mouse and track pad) and added a touch screen, then the ergonomics do not change at all. You simply have the option of using the touch screen. Combined with gestures, and a lot of things make sense.

I see touch screens complementing keyboards and mice, not replacing them.

Will it happen? Perhaps.
Do I think it is a bad idea? Not if done correctly.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
we always expect technology and the world around us to change for us, while we never change nor open our minds to possibilities for our world. there is so little thrill and excitement in the world these days, so glum and ho-hum chugging away at life, eating all the buffets and punching in all the numbers without thought or reasoning behind it. no imagination and full participation in life.

if we put money in the right hands of the greatest scientists we'd have everything that was right and good for this world, including touch screens that work vertically even, wow, think about that.........

it isn't a stretch of any imagination common ! hahaha !

..thank you..

Welcome to today's society. Nothing is revolutionary these days :/

vpro

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2012
well..

it is fun to imagine and stir the inspiration pot, always a good thing to have youthful curiosity in whimsical things, keeps people young, joyful, hopeful and brings great minds together, hmmm sounds like the beginnings of apple alittle bit huh ? !! keep being inspired and motivated in all your lives people !

..thank you..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.