Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fdama

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2012
Hi all,

I've just received my iPad mini, and my first ever Apple device. I've always been hesitant to buy into Apple for reasons that typical Android fanboys, like me, rant about. But when Google, their partners and their developer community failed to deliver on tablets with great experiences, I had to take a another look at the iPad, specifically the iPad mini. The mini is the perfect size because it is so usable for web browsing (referring to the extra 0.9 inches, that makes all the difference, over the competition) and so portable. I always also been curious as to what its like to live within the Apple ecosystem.

Anyway, aside from my introductory comments, I have a question that concerns me : Is the screen on the iPad made from glass or plastic? The reason why i ask is because mine seems to be made of plastic. It flexes when firmly pressed in the middle of the screen and when you tap it with your fingernail, you get that plasticky sounding feedback. But when I watch some of the 'drop test' videos, the testers do mention that it is the glass on the screen that shatters. Has their possibly been a change in the manufacturing process? I think it is plastic and concerned about this when it comes to scratches, durability, etc.

Thanks for your responses.

Oh and before I do a web search, can anyone refer me to a good resource on iPad tips and tricks, gestures, etc.... Its just in case you guys know of a better one, over the ones scattered all over the web.

Thanks.

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010
The iPad mini screen is made from an extremely thin piece of glass. It does affect the feel slightly from other glass screens, but I wouldn't consider it a plastic feel.

Hands Sandon

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2008
It feels somewhat plasticky on the new Air too, but it's well worth it because it is much lighter to hold, just like the mini. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.