Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 10, 2012
My old iMac broke, so I ordered the new one last Friday.

I didn't have a chance to deactivate my Adobe product key/license, so I'm wondering how to get around this?

Long story short, my iMac had problems, had to be restored, I restored it with Time Machine (I still have the backup), I had some problems with that (iTunes didn't open, I'm sure it all went a bit slower as well) so I decided I would restore completely with Snow Leopard and start fresh. Before doing so, I deactivated my product key, and followed necessary steps, only to find it wouldn't reinstall Snow Leopard. I decided I would restore with Time Machine again and leave it like that for a couple weeks until I could book a Genius appointment. After restoring with Time Machine, I opened Premiere Pro to put the key back in, but it didn't ask for one. I tried After Effects and Photoshop, they didn't ask for one either.

Before going to the Apple Store, I zeroed the drive (To protect my data), and remembered that I didn't deactivate the Adobe products! It was too late to do a restore with Time Machine and deactivate it, so I decided I might as well figure that out later.

Upon getting to the Apple Store, it wouldn't turn on :(

I waited a while for the next iMac and finally it's available. Now just waiting for it to come to my door. In the meantime I need help with either remotely deactivating my old iMac, or somehow restoring the applications and have it so the key automatically goes in.

I think I'll firstly try and enter the key and see what happens.

My second last resort will probably be restoring with Time Machine and hoping it restores the key as well. My very last resort will be calling Adobe and asking them about it.

I have the student edition, so don't suggest I use another key. And I don't pirate, so don't suggest I pirate it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.