Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

intz2nu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2012
I just now got a chance to view the ifixit tear down write up and the screen is held to the housing via double-sided tape. Apple can't be serious, right? overtime the double sided tape will surely fail and best of luck trying to completely remove the old tape. Then comes the replacing with new tape, where would one find double sided tape of the same thickness to ensure their screen wouldn't have a gap. I am almost positive the tape Apple used is one that won't be an easy find on the market due to having need be a certain thickness so theres no gap when placing the screen back onto the housing.

intz2nu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2012
Ok what you seem to be missing is that what you are posting links to is in ref. to the previous iMac models in which yes the screen is indeed held inplace by magnets. The part you are missing is that my thread title states (2012 iMac). The new 2012 iMac screen is held in place using double sided tape. Not magnets like the earlier models.

MeFromHere

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2012
I just now got a chance to view the ifixit tear down write up and the screen is held to the housing via double-sided tape. Apple can't be serious, right? overtime the double sided tape will surely fail and best of luck trying to completely remove the old tape. Then comes the replacing with new tape, where would one find double sided tape of the same thickness to ensure their screen wouldn't have a gap. I am almost positive the tape Apple used is one that won't be an easy find on the market due to having need be a certain thickness so theres no gap when placing the screen back onto the housing.

The tape is probably plenty durable, and I'm sure Apple techs will have the tools and training to deal with it easily.

There are many thousands of types of tape available on the market. If you want to buy a reasonable quantity, you can find just about any specs you need. It shouldn't be long before some clever companies offer "iMac tape kits" with appropriate pieces pre-cut and ready to apply.

joe-h2o

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2012

The tape is very durable - I know exactly the sort of stuff they're using and it's going to be more than adequate to hold the screen on for many, many years.

Cleaning it off is also really easy. Common bench solvents and a small piece of cloth will strip it off in seconds and leave a nice surface to put fresh stuff back on.

Hell, you could use cheap vodka as a solvent if you really wanted. Just be sure to wipe off the residue from the non-ethanol parts of the beverage. A small bottle of IPA would be my suggestion though - available from any good high street hardware store or computer shop.

intz2nu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2012
I'm a Radio Control Hobbyist and have messed with quite a good bit of double sided tape and honestly from my experience they have all seemed to lose adhesion over a matter of time. I guess you could say they somewhat dry out over a course of time. I guess I could be wrong with my thinking of the iMac's double sided tape becoming this way over a period of time but I guess I would have felt a bit better if it had been held in place by magnets like the earlier models. I also take it that maybe this was not possible because of the new thinner housing.

On another note, wouldn't the heat from the screen cause an effect with regards to the double sided tape? or would it not because the heat would be in the center of the double sided tape and not so close to the edges where the tape is placed?

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA

For some reason, I was under the impression that they used both adhesive and magnets this time.

vladfein

macrumors regular
May 28, 2012

It sounds like you are complaining about Apple's failure to provide an easy access to the insides of your new computer. Right? :)

intz2nu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2012
It sounds like you are complaining about Apple's failure to provide an easy access to the insides of your new computer. Right? :)

No I haven't quite yet decided to pull the trigger on one or not just yet. I got a 2010 27" iMac currently and have also considered a 15" RMBP but with those image retention problems I'm hearing everyone with its making me do some even more hard thinking on both the new 27" iMac and the 15" RMBP. Also if I were to look at getting the new 27" iMac I can tell you right now that I would have no plans or intent on opening it up to mess with trying to adapt something else it wasn't meant to have in the first place. This goes for every computer I've purchased.

When I wanna mess with something I got a custom Windows Box to play with. So yeah its not because Apple made it not have *easy* access to the insides.

----------

For some reason, I was under the impression that they used both adhesive and magnets this time.

Where did you get this info from? The ifixit tear down showed it was only held in place with double sided tape.

MeFromHere

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2012

I checked the 2012 21.5" iMac in the store. I slid a steel safety pin around the screen perimeter, and there was no hint of a magnet anywhere. On the 2011 model, the magnets were very easy to find using the same technique.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
If this tape fails before the useful life of this computer I'd be very surprised.

intz2nu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2012
it would have made me feel a bit better if it was glue and tape maybe but just tape? c'mon Apple!

digitalfailure

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2012
Cars have had bits of trim both internally and externally held on with double sided foam tape for years. If the surface is clean dry and warm when applied it'll bond well and last years .

Hasn'tbeensober

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2012
Cars have had bits of trim both internally and externally held on with double sided foam tape for years. If the surface is clean dry and warm when applied it'll bond well and last years .

I agreed with you on this! I installed wind deflector on my truck with double side tape, and it been for about 3 years plus now and still going strong. keep in mind I live in mid west so the temp in summer can be about 102 degrees and winter about single digit. And again there are all way a lemon one out there.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Ok what you seem to be missing is that what you are posting links to is in ref. to the previous iMac models in which yes the screen is indeed held inplace by magnets. The part you are missing is that my thread title states (2012 iMac). The new 2012 iMac screen is held in place using double sided tape. Not magnets like the earlier models.

Thats why it was a question champ.
I don't think the tape is an issue. Why do you?

Arman

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2008
SoCal
I'm a Radio Control Hobbyist and have messed with quite a good bit of double sided tape and honestly from my experience they have all seemed to lose adhesion over a matter of time. I guess you could say they somewhat dry out over a course of time. I guess I could be wrong with my thinking of the iMac's double sided tape becoming this way over a period of time but I guess I would have felt a bit better if it had been held in place by magnets like the earlier models. I also take it that maybe this was not possible because of the new thinner housing.

On another note, wouldn't the heat from the screen cause an effect with regards to the double sided tape? or would it not because the heat would be in the center of the double sided tape and not so close to the edges where the tape is placed?

Your comparing apples to cars (lol). I doubt anyone is going to be strapping an iMac to a pair of wheels and racing it around like a RC Car.

The iMac won't reach high enough heat levels to loosen the adhesive.

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2010
Certain tape is VERY strong these days. I used this 3M Permanent Outdoor Mounting tape to adhere 10" UV lights in my Lian Li computer case last winter. One was mounted along the bottom, the other along the top (essentially upside down, fighting gravity). When I threw the towel in on that box, I decided to sell everything that I could - including the UV lights.

The tape was so strong it was next to impossible to remove by hand. I ended up destroying one of the lights and bending the aluminum case getting this tape off since I had to resort to prying it with first a plastic putty knife, followed by a metal putty knife. It was no joke.

Sure this tape has potential to wear out years from now - much like anything else that wears out over time - but from my experience, this was the strongest adhesive in tape form I have ever dealt with. Nearly as strong as some epoxy glues and bonds.

Now I know why they called it permanent :eek:

I am sure that the iMac will be fine. The hard drive will fry before the adhesive gives way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.