Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
I've seen a couple of posts lately that this is a good route to go if you want dual mini-display port to drive a pair of recent Apple Cinema Displays. I have a 2009 Mac Pro.

I'd like to keep the boot screen, so this means flashing. But I only have my Mac Pro... no Windows PC.

I've seen a couple of reports but it seemed like a painful trial-and-error exercise. Is there a clear and easy way to flash an XFX 6870 like this one, without a lot of hassle?

Are there any issues? I read somewhere you only get boot screens on one of the DVI outputs... is that true? If so, not worth it for me. I need boot screen on MDP ports.

What else do you give up by flashing a 6870?

Thanks! :)

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
I read somewhere you only get boot screens on one of the DVI outputs... is that true? If so, not worth it for me. I need boot screen on MDP ports.

What else do you give up by flashing a 6870?

Thanks! :)

With a flashed Radeon 6870, you get no output at all on the upper DVI port. You also get no boot screen on any other port except the lower DVI port. All the ports except the upper DVI have output, but only the lower DVI will have a boot screen.

Lou

Inconsequential

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2007
I wasn't able to flash mine via OS X.

Install windows via bootcamp and do it like that.

Can modify the fan profile too.

Windows XP is easily found or install a windows 8 trial or msdn version or something.

Phrygian

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2011
Thanks. I'm not going to bother... I don't need GPU performance that badly. I'll just get an Apple 5770.

??

Not sure how much research you have done, but a 6870 works perfectly in my 2008 mac pro without flashing. Granted i dont have a boot screen, but who really needs it? In the rare instances i need to use the boot screen i put my old card in (once when i was installing win 7)

Any issues with the 6870 os x drives such as crashing issues with steam and dvdplayer are fixed with a simple download from groths.org

As for the ports, id have to read up on the functionality again. normally flashing kills ports rather than making them function...

All Taken

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2009
UK
Thanks. I'm not going to bother... I don't need GPU performance that badly. I'll just get an Apple 5770.

I have an Apple 5770 that is brand new for sale in the marketplace, came from my 2012 Machine last week. Send me a PM if you're interested or message me on the marketplace.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
"flowrider" has correctly identified typical 6870 behavior

Netkas wrote the EFI using 6xxx EFI from an iMac.

They are nice cards but no faster than a 5870, though certainly quite a bit cheaper than OEM 5870. They run 4 displays instead of 3 on an OEM 5870.

Oddly, even in the new "magic" 10.8.3 OS, they are id'd as "Barts Prototype" by OpenGl view.

Namjins

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2011
USA
I have a flashed XFX 6870 and I am very happy with its performance. It wasn't 100% painless, but for the money saved, it was well worth the time and effort.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.