Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrismarle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2011
Canada
Hey guys,

Since iOS 6.1 has already been through 3 betas, it's to be expected that it will launch soon, probably after the Holidays. However, with every X.1/X.2/X.3 software releases, Apple has ALMOST always introduced/refreshed a product. What could this product be? Apple refreshed all of their devices this fall, I don't think that they have another refresh for this Spring. Could it be the introduction of the long time rumored Apple television or another product? I have to admit that I'm really curious about what they will introduce.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

chrismarle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2011
Canada
I don't know where you get the idea that they do that from.

There have been many of these releases with no new hardware.

iOS 1.1 -> iPod touch 1st gen, iOS 2.1 -> iPod touch 2nd gen, iOS 2.2 has no new devices, iOS 3.1 -> iPod touch 3rd gen, iOS 3.2 -> iPad 1, iOS 4.1 -> iPod touch 4th gen, iOS 4.2.1 has no new devices, iOS 4.3 -> iPad 2, iOS 5.1 -> iPad 3.

So, it only happened twice that they release a X.1/X.2/X.3 without a new device. I'm not saying that there will be a device. I'm saying that it's a big possibility. You get my point?

jonnyb

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Inverness, Scotland
Apparently, beta 3 expires on December 28. Apple has just refreshed its entire product line for Christmas. Assuming beta 3 is the last beta, I think we'll just get the software.

chekz0414

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
FL
iOS 6.1 has little "new" features. So I doubt a new product launching. the 6.1 era will last and maybe end with 6.1.1 and then we will see iOS 7 in June. and then all devices refreshed in Fall again, and all with the new iOS installed. Also the expiration date says a lot. 6.1 will be out either in December or January. So no new product. 5.1 at least included a new Camera slider on the lockscreen AND it hinted at Dictation for iPad...I remember those betas lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.