Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

1stBowman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
On the 2012 iMacs (ordered a 27") what would I need to connect an HDMI device say AppleTV to an iMac?

The reason I am asking is that I subscribe to the Major League Baseball package. Watching on the PS3 is the best, followed by the iPad, followed by AppleTV, and last watching on the computer.

In the room where the iMac will be there is no tv and since my wife likes to use the iPad and the kids busy on the PS3, I was hoping to hookup AppleTV to the iMac in order to watch baseball (I am aware that the season doesn't star until April....can't wait).

Is it possible?

Thanks

jsolares

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2011
Land of eternal Spring
On the 2012 iMacs (ordered a 27") what would I need to connect an HDMI device say AppleTV to an iMac?

The reason I am asking is that I subscribe to the Major League Baseball package. Watching on the PS3 is the best, followed by the iPad, followed by AppleTV, and last watching on the computer.

In the room where the iMac will be there is no tv and since my wife likes to use the iPad and the kids busy on the PS3, I was hoping to hookup AppleTV to the iMac in order to watch baseball (I am aware that the season doesn't star until April....can't wait).

Is it possible?

Thanks

It's not possible, you can only connect thunderbolt devices to use the 2011,2012 iMacs in target display mode.

Zackmd1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2010
Maryland US

Is it possible?

Thanks

You could always buy a USB 3 HDMI capture card and use that to stream to the iMac. Since your not planing on doing anything other then watching tv you wouldn't haft to worry about any input lag that may occur.

jediDev

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2012

Is it possible?

Thanks

You can watch baseball in HD on your Mac through a web browser. Just make sure you install the MLB HiDef app to get the best quality. It's at least as good as ATV imo. Also, you can watch up to 4 games at once.

eagandale4114

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2011
what? are you people saying i couldn't stream from an imac to my Apple TV?

Thats not what the op asked.
The question was can you go from apple tv --> iMac. The answer is no.
You are talking about airplay mirroring which is imac --> apple tv which is perfectly possible.
And I got ninjaed.

1stBowman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
You can watch baseball in HD on your Mac through a web browser. Just make sure you install the MLB HiDef app to get the best quality. It's at least as good as ATV imo. Also, you can watch up to 4 games at once.

4 games at once...nice. I'll check it out...thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.