View Poll Results: iPod Touch Or iPad Mini
iPad 52 78.79%
iPod Touch 14 21.21%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 3, 2012, 03:05 PM   #1
AppleTecFan
macrumors 6502

iPad Mini vs iPod Touch

Wanting to buy an iPod Touch or an iPad Mini for my little brother. Hes 10.

What would be the better choice?
He enjoys using my iPhone 5 and the New iPad, but what would be more effective? I'm leaning towards the iPad Mini as I can use it in bed (iPad too big and iPhone 5 too small (missing my GS3..)) but the iPod touch can be more kidfriendly?

Share your opinions
Old Dec 3, 2012, 03:10 PM   #2
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

I think the Mini is nicer, but the Touch is far easier for him to take places.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 03:28 PM   #3
AppleTecFan
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by darngooddesign View Post
I think the Mini is nicer, but the Touch is far easier for him to take places.
so what would you reccomend?
Old Dec 3, 2012, 03:43 PM   #4
shadowjeff
macrumors regular

A lot of kids like the iPod touch because they can bring it around, ie. to school and show off to their friends. Not so easy to bring an ipad mini around. Plus they have different colours for the ipod touch, so he might like that too. The ipad mini is really awesome for kids too though!

My cousin, 13, has an iPod touch and he loooves watching animes on it before he goes to bed, I don't know how he do it, I find the iPhone just too small to watch any videos. He has a choice to use a touchpad for anime watching but he always go for the iPod touch.

Last edited by shadowjeff; Dec 3, 2012 at 03:52 PM.
shadowjeff is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 03:48 PM   #5
Anti-Lucifer
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleTecFan View Post
so what would you reccomend?
The touch is the same 4" screen but not hte same quality 4" screen as on the iphone 5. I would not say the iphone 5 (having one of my own) is better than an ipad mini - the iphone 5 is too small for anything else but texting and occasional web surfing when desperately seeking a web browser. Other than that, the ipad mini is the way to go for both mobility and content consumption.
Anti-Lucifer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 03:51 PM   #6
ZBoater
macrumors 604

It's not all about the hardware form factor. iPad software is in some cases different. Designed and developed differently. I'd go ipad all day long.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 04:14 PM   #7
Plutonius
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti-Lucifer View Post
The touch is the same 4" screen but not hte same quality 4" screen as on the iphone 5. I would not say the iphone 5 (having one of my own) is better than an ipad mini - the iphone 5 is too small for anything else but texting and occasional web surfing when desperately seeking a web browser. Other than that, the ipad mini is the way to go for both mobility and content consumption.
The iPod Touch 5 screen looks exactly like the iPhone 5 screen.
Plutonius is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 04:23 PM   #8
CandyNJ66
macrumors regular

Quote:

He enjoys using my iPhone 5 and the New iPad, but what would be more effective? I'm leaning towards the iPad Mini as I can use it in bed (iPad too big and iPhone 5 too small (missing my GS3..)) but the iPod touch can be more kidfriendly?

Share your opinions
The Mini is very light, very portable and your brother won't be restricted by a very narrow screen that the iPod touch has.

Highly recommend the Mini
Old Dec 3, 2012, 05:16 PM   #9
AppleTecFan
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutonius View Post
The iPod Touch 5 screen looks exactly like the iPhone 5 screen.
actaully they are different displays, the iphone 5 has the greater display
Old Dec 3, 2012, 05:21 PM   #10
AppleRobert
macrumors 68030

What will he be mainly using one of those for?

If it is browsing on the internet, I would not recommend the Mini unless he uses a different browser or landscape mode with Safari.

Movies and games will be kind of small on the ipod Touch.
AppleRobert is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 05:39 PM   #11
AppleTecFan
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleRobert View Post
What will he be mainly using one of those for?

If it is browsing on the internet, I would not recommend the Mini unless he uses a different browser or landscape mode with Safari.

Movies and games will be kind of small on the ipod Touch.
Well I have not had extensive use of the iPad Mini but I am starting to lean towards it. Do videos look nice on it? He watches YouTube all day on my iPad
Old Dec 3, 2012, 05:45 PM   #12
MrXiro
macrumors 68030

Quote:
I've heard differently... did I miss something? The iPod Touch 4th Gen had a lower quality (same resolution) screen but I thought the iPod Touch 5 had the exact same IPS display as the iPhone 5.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iphone-5-vs-5th-generation-ipod-touch-3.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	381354  
Old Dec 3, 2012, 05:47 PM   #13
MrXiro
macrumors 68030

That said though... for a kid... iPod Touch... first it has twice the storage for movies/music/games. Generally 10 year olds have good eyesight so the small text and small screen mean nothing to them and it's just a more portable device in general. The iPad Mini seems like more cost and less bang for a kid.

Just my opinion though.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 05:54 PM   #14
AppleTecFan
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrXiro View Post
I've heard differently... did I miss something? The iPod Touch 4th Gen had a lower quality (same resolution) screen but I thought the iPod Touch 5 had the exact same IPS display as the iPhone 5.
They have different displays, cant find the article proving my statement. You don't have to take my word for it but yeah. all I have to say
Old Dec 3, 2012, 06:02 PM   #15
g0odfr1end102
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Correct.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 06:03 PM   #16
MrXiro
macrumors 68030

Quote:
They have different displays, cant find the article proving my statement. You don't have to take my word for it but yeah. all I have to say
I think you've been misinformed...

From Engadget's review
Quote:
The vertical growth of the iPod touch is for one reason and one reason only: to accommodate the new 4-inch display that debuted in the iPhone 5. Yes, this is the exact same panel as the iPhone, not a cut-rate version like the last iPod touch received. That means a 326dpi, 1,136 x 640 IPS LCD screen.
The iPod Touch 4th Gen has the inferior screen because it isn't an IPS panel. 5th Gen is the exact same one as far as every review I've read...
Old Dec 3, 2012, 06:38 PM   #17
smooth
macrumors 6502

Send a message via Yahoo to smooth
iPad Mini. I have two children and they will be selling their kindle fires and iPods to get Minis. Because they are larger, the Minis are more versatile. Plus my oldest will be able to do some homework and reading on there as well.
iPod Shuffle
smooth is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 06:43 PM   #18
nerdybooboo
macrumors member

iPad mini, something he can grow into.
nerdybooboo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 06:50 PM   #19
Plutonius
macrumors 601

Quote:
You are wrong. The article you are thinking about is the iFixit teardown. In the teardown, iFixit says that the display assembly in the Touch is worse then the iPhone (i.e. how the display is installed in the Touch is worse/cheaper). As others have stated, the iPod Touch 5 display and the iPhone 5 display are the same.
Plutonius is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 07:00 PM   #20
AppleTecFan
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutonius View Post
You are wrong. The article you are thinking about is the iFixit teardown. In the teardown, iFixit says that the display assembly in the Touch is worse then the iPhone (i.e. how the display is installed in the Touch is worse/cheaper). As others have stated, the iPod Touch 5 display and the iPhone 5 display are the same.
Well great! Thanks for correcting me. And yes thats what I read
Thank you
Old Dec 3, 2012, 07:34 PM   #21
TacticalDesire
macrumors 68020

I'd go with the touch. It's a great device. Even for adults and is much more portable then the mini
TacticalDesire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 09:31 PM   #22
raccoonboy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

Share your opinions

He enjoyed using your Iphone 5 and New Ipad, Both retina fast and powerful cpu. Then you are leaning towards Ipad mini (2 generation older cpu, screen as bad you have to zoom in every inch of it) Im sure he would just leave it somewhere and come play with your devices still.

Get him a Touch 5, have a loop on his wrist so you can be sure he make real good use of it.
raccoonboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 10:00 PM   #23
Thetonyk123
macrumors 68000

Quote:
They are 2 different displays however they both look the same
Old Dec 3, 2012, 10:35 PM   #24
MrXiro
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by racoonboy View Post
He enjoyed using your Iphone 5 and New Ipad, Both retina fast and powerful cpu. Then you are leaning towards Ipad mini (2 generation older cpu, screen as bad you have to zoom in every inch of it) Im sure he would just leave it somewhere and come play with your devices still.

Get him a Touch 5, have a loop on his wrist so you can be sure he make real good use of it.
You're mental if you think a 10 year old would even notice the difference in resolution. My kid couldn't tell until I held an ipad 2 next to a 3 side by side playing the exact same movie.

She also plays on my wife's iPhone 4 all the time and goes back to her iPad 2 without a single problem. It's better to get the iPod touch for a kid IMO but its asinine if you claim it's over resolution.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 11:20 PM   #25
raccoonboy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
You're mental if you think a 10 year old would even notice the difference in resolution. My kid couldn't tell until I held an ipad 2 next to a 3 side by side playing the exact same movie.

She also plays on my wife's iPhone 4 all the time and goes back to her iPad 2 without a single problem. It's better to get the iPod touch for a kid IMO but its asinine if you claim it's over resolution.

better resolution = clearer image

I believe kids these days are uptodate and smart enough to tell the difference.
raccoonboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad