Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidmgamble

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2011
Hello,
I love the updated iTunes interface when it comes to viewing TV shows. However, when I look on my Apple TV, running the latest software, it still shows me each individual season of shows. For example, when I want to move past all of the Seinfeld shows, I have to scroll all the way down through the seasons just to get to the next show. Is there any way to consolidate these Seasons into simply one folder?

iHailCarlo

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2012
I dont think there is, just goes to show you that people like different things. I like to see every season, and dislike them being consolidated.

DP812

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2009
Japan
No, the Apple TV gives you very, very few options for organizing and grouping content. You'll just have to wait for either Apple to add that feature or for a jailbreak to be released (assuming you have an aTV3). At this point, I'm not sure which is less likely.

Omne666

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
Hello,
I love the updated iTunes interface when it comes to viewing TV shows. However, when I look on my Apple TV, running the latest software, it still shows me each individual season of shows. For example, when I want to move past all of the Seinfeld shows, I have to scroll all the way down through the seasons just to get to the next show. Is there any way to consolidate these Seasons into simply one folder?

I've been waiting for 2 years for apple to redo it. That's right, redo it, as they had it right on the atv1.
I've just recently, like 4 days ago, bit the bullet and started collapsing my multiseason tv shows into one. Removing the season number and then sequentially numbering each episode so they appear in order on the ATV. Thought it was going to be painful but thanks to a script from Dougs Scripts, fairly easy and fast.
As the focus of the ATV falls to the first unviewed episode in a column, it works rather well as I don't have to scroll down to the next episode.
I label the episode ID with the original season-episode number so if I ever have to go back I've got a reference number in there telling me the original details.

Omne666

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
Actually, just thinking about this and the recent changes in the iTunes interface, this will still work regardless of what apple does. I like it even more now!:)

NiklasK

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2008
Sweden
Can you point me in the right direction to the script from Dougs site?

Thought it was going to be painful but thanks to a script from Dougs Scripts, fairly easy and fast.
As the focus of the ATV falls to the first unviewed episode in a column, it works rather well as I don't have to scroll down to the next episode.
I label the episode ID with the original season-episode number so if I ever have to go back I've got a reference number in there telling me the original details.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
I use smart playlist and playlist folders. I create a folder for each show and then a smart playlist for each season.

You have to click through an extra menu layer but it groups them just the way I like.

Pyromonkey83

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2009
Didn't apple just a release a new atv beta? Maybe that will fix the problem.

Not likely. This has been an issue since the ATV 2 was released. This will practically deserve it's own keynote if they ever fix it. Funny part is the ATV 1 worked perfectly fine with this...

flyboym535i

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2008
I believe this is the script - at least, if it isn't, it does the same thing. I just tested it in iTunes 10.7 (I refuse to upgrade to iTunes 11!) and it's working really well.

I'm using it to solve the same problem of TV shows showing up as multiple seasons in Apple TV instead of consolidated under the TV Show's name.

Apple really screwed up on the TV Show sorting since Apple TV 2... I have the 1080p Apple TVs now - I've owned each version since ATV Gen 1, and the sorting was never better than it was in ATV Gen 1.

Omne666

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
That's the right script.

And if apple do eventually fix this issue, you just really have to reapply the season number to the episodes, which is easy enough also.

Last edited:

WebHead

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2004
I'm just holding out hope that if seasons were consolidated in iTunes 11, they will on Apple TV eventually too.

beatledud

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2006
I use smart playlist and playlist folders. I create a folder for each show and then a smart playlist for each season.

You have to click through an extra menu layer but it groups them just the way I like.

How? Where do you find playlists on the AppleTV for TV Shows?

DaveGee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2001
I've been waiting for 2 years for apple to redo it. That's right, redo it, as they had it right on the atv1.
I've just recently, like 4 days ago, bit the bullet and started collapsing my multiseason tv shows into one. Removing the season number and then sequentially numbering each episode so they appear in order on the ATV. Thought it was going to be painful but thanks to a script from Dougs Scripts, fairly easy and fast.

Ouch... Although I own 2 ATV 2s and 2 ATV 3s I'm in the process of ditching them all and moving to XBMC ... :mad: I -really- like the ATVs especially their size and horsepower ... It's too bad they locked the 3s down so damn hard since finding suitable XBMC set-top boxes isn't as easy as I'd hope.

Perhaps we need to gift the ATV 'man in power' with the complete Law & Order Series ALL TWENTY SEASONS and the entire Stargate Series another TEN FULL SEASONS oh and add Smallville another TEN BAGGER... 3 TV shows will take up FORTY LINES on the ATV. Hmmm and X Files to make it hit FIFTY+ combined seasons.

Oh well... I'm done waiting... It's XBMC all the way for me.

johnthebivvy

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2012
iVI Pro does the job

HI all
I use iVI Pro this does a great job, Just drag your files into iVI and if you use the correct season number and episode number make sure you select TV Show and of it goes searches the net ,tags your files,and if you set up the copy to I tunes It does all for you ,It stores the files in one folder with episodes all named and in order on the ATV3 and in I Tunes :)
john.s

Ronnoco

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
United States of America
HI all
I use iVI Pro this does a great job, Just drag your files into iVI and if you use the correct season number and episode number make sure you select TV Show and of it goes searches the net ,tags your files,and if you set up the copy to I tunes It does all for you ,It stores the files in one folder with episodes all named and in order on the ATV3 and in I Tunes :)
john.s

LOVE iVI...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.