Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 27, 2011
There is a slim chance of this happening, but with the iPad mini recently released, it got me thinking.

Apple is catching a lot of flack from "hardcore" users who want a giant screen like on Android devices. At the same time, the mainstream market probably prefers something easier for one-handed use. Possible solution? Six iOS devices:

- iPad
-- iPad mini

- iPhone (4.3"?)
-- iPhone mini (3.5")

- iPod touch (see iPhone)
-- iPod mini (essentially the iPod nano)

The more I think about it, the more it makes sense as a long-term strategy as more and more Android devices begin to make inroads. If Apple doesn't offer the selection and choice, people may abandon the ecosystem. Yes, there would be some fragmentation at first, but because the user base is so large, most apps would be quickly updated, and the "mini" iPhone would use the same resolution that's been around since 2007 anyway.

tgi

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2012
iPhone mini = same size of the all the previous iPhones. Sounds like a step backwards to me.

sevendust

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2012
lol people here are confusing:confused: prolly Tim Cook is thinking, "What the hell do you guys really want?! Big Screen or Small Screen?!

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 27, 2011
lol people here are confusing:confused: prolly Tim Cook is thinking, "What the hell do you guys really want?! Big Screen or Small Screen?!

That's the whole point. If there were two iPhone models, just like there are two iPad models, then everyone could have what they wanted. The "iPhone mini" would essentially take the place of the discounted last-gen models that most carriers sell for cheaper.

gfunk1122

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2010
I had a 4.3" screen years ago. Make a 4.5-4.9ish" iPhone with up to date functionality and it would be the best phone on the market and would put a lot of Android phones out of the picture. Widgets, ability to change icons, and direct access to the settings of an app within the app and some customizable toggles for WiFi, Bluetooth etc in the notification window. This can't be that hard to implement. Oh and totally revamp the contacts so u can have pictures and a working navigation/maps program and nobody would buy a different phone. That would be my ideal phone and most everybody else's too. With the right form factor that wouldn't be too big.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 27, 2011
I had a 4.3" screen years ago. Make a 4.5-4.9ish" iPhone with up to date functionality and it would be the best phone on the market and would put a lot of Android phones out of the picture. Widgets, ability to change icons, and direct access to the settings of an app within the app and some customizable toggles for WiFi, Bluetooth etc in the notification window. This can't be that hard to implement. Oh and totally revamp the contacts so u can have pictures and a working navigation/maps program and nobody would buy a different phone. That would be my ideal phone and most everybody else's too. With the right form factor that wouldn't be too big.

A 4.5" screen would be nice.

To me, the 4" screen on the iPhone 5 seems like a bad compromise in many ways. It's not big enough for those who want something on par with the Android flagships, and yet it's probably bigger than necessary for those who were perfectly happy with the old size. That's why I think an iPhone mini would be the perfect solution (I'd be purchasing the larger one).

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 27, 2011
Not gonna happen. Why would they make an iPhone mini with the same screen size as previous iPhones?

Because many people prefer a much larger screen, while many others prefer the original size. Why not give people both instead of forcing everyone to use the compromise of a 4" screen? Apple needs to give more choice if they want to stay dominant in the long run. They already realized that with the iPad.

sahnjuro

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2009
I think that Apple is quite likely to do iphone max with 4.5" or 4.8" screen because it is losing customers who want larger screens than 4". Looking at the number of GS3 and Galaxy Note that Samsung is selling, there is a sizable demand to phones with large screens. It helps that Apple can add to their overall sales by coming out with larger model and also maintain a high margin. It is another way they can stick it to Samsung as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.