Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BlizZ10

macrumors member
Original poster
May 18, 2007
Hey everyone,

I know this has been beaten to death on these forums, but I am curious about a few things regarding this subject.

I am a master's student, soon to be PhD, and use papers for mac as my primary means for organizing all my journal articles. I have heard some nightmare stories concerning the papers application for iPad so I think I am going to stay away from it. However, I see many other pdf annotating applications on the market (PDF expert, good reader, iAnnotate). I would like to use dropbox to link my computer and ipad. I think I may even set the output for my pdfs on Papers to my dropbox folder so once I import pdfs into my computer they can be directly picked up by my iPad.

My question is.... What sychronization system do most of you guys use to organize your pdfs between your computer and iPad?

Furthermore, what app is best for organizing your pdfs on your ipad? I am looking for one that gives you the ability to highlight and jot down notes. Also, I want to search all pdfs on the iPad for text within the pdfs, making it easier to locate the correct pdfs, and an app that allows you to separate your pdfs into folders.

Thanks,
BlizZ10

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
My main tool for organising my research literature on my mac and iPad is Sente. I've written more about how I use it here. To me, the main advantages of Sente over Papers are i) instant sync between mac and iPad, and ii) the ability to organise literature based on tagging rather than folder, which makes it much easier to assign a journal article to more than one theme/category.

However, Sente doesn't allow for in text search (apparently they are working on this, but I have no idea when this will be materialised). As an alternative, I would recommend iAnnotate, which is an excellent app for annotating articles, and it works with DropBox, so you can just have a folder structure on your mac which will then sync seamlessly with your iPad. iAnnotate also has much more sophisticated tools for annotation than Sente does. I use both, they are great tools to support research.

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
I'm using Remarks (from Readdle) to annotate/manage pdf files. It's automatic sync with a Dropbox folder system allows me to keep all in sync with my Mac.

NMF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2011
You need Goodreader. It's $5 and syncs via Dropbox. You can annotate, type over, draw over, highlight (and it works), you name it. It's lightning quick too. I've used it for school for the past 2 years and I absolutely love it. There is no better PDF app on the App Store.

KALESSIN

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2011
Norway
Indeed, GoodReader is good, but I prefer PDF Expert due to its clear interface and auto synchronization. I always forget to tap Sync buttons to push changes and I think PDF Expert file management is much convenient.

Need to try Remarks too.

pdfmax

macrumors member
May 13, 2012
Hey everyone,

I know this has been beaten to death on these forums, but I am curious about a few things regarding this subject.

I am a master's student, soon to be PhD, and use papers for mac as my primary means for organizing all my journal articles. I have heard some nightmare stories concerning the papers application for iPad so I think I am going to stay away from it. However, I see many other pdf annotating applications on the market (PDF expert, good reader, iAnnotate). I would like to use dropbox to link my computer and ipad. I think I may even set the output for my pdfs on Papers to my dropbox folder so once I import pdfs into my computer they can be directly picked up by my iPad.

My question is.... What sychronization system do most of you guys use to organize your pdfs between your computer and iPad?

Furthermore, what app is best for organizing your pdfs on your ipad? I am looking for one that gives you the ability to highlight and jot down notes. Also, I want to search all pdfs on the iPad for text within the pdfs, making it easier to locate the correct pdfs, and an app that allows you to separate your pdfs into folders.

Thanks,
BlizZ10

Based on your needs, feel free to try PDF Max (Free) here feel free to try it (free) here https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pdf-max-fill-forms-annotate/id540572073?ls=1&mt=8

Thanks and we are looking forward to your feedbacks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.