Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Dec 6, 2012, 07:23 AM   #26
thewitt
macrumors 68000

It's coming....

What's the correct US response from the liberal viewpoint on this forum? Are you guys prepared to spend 100s of millions of dollars to bomb Syria? You know it's not going to be cheap.

When that doesn't stop them, what next? Ground forces under UN control?

How is any of this going to be a "legal war" if everything else we did in the region is classified as an illegal war in your minds?
thewitt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 04:04 PM   #27
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewitt View Post
It's coming....

What's the correct US response from the liberal viewpoint on this forum? Are you guys prepared to spend 100s of millions of dollars to bomb Syria? You know it's not going to be cheap.

How is any of this going to be a "legal war" if everything else we did in the region is classified as an illegal war in your minds?
What would you do ?
Peace is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 05:38 PM   #28
zioxide
macrumors 603

Quote:
It's coming....

What's the correct US response from the liberal viewpoint on this forum?
It's not our problem. We're not Team America World Police. Let Egypt and some of the other countries in the region deal with the problem for once.

Quote:
This statement just reeks of complete ignorance. If you can't discern the difference between a war started for a legitimate reason and a war started on completely fabricated pretenses (hint: Iraq didn't have any WMDs!) then you should just leave this thread now.

edit- I just saw John McCain on the news talking about this issue. That man belongs in a nursing home, not congress.
zioxide is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 05:38 PM   #29
Zombie Acorn
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
What would you do ?
Take a back seat, and let someone else blow a wad of cash on the hell hole for a bit.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 05:41 PM   #30
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Acorn View Post
Take a back seat, and let someone else blow a wad of cash on the hell hole for a bit.
One of the rare times we agree.
rdowns is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 05:41 PM   #31
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
Let me re-word that.

If you were the President and you had all these hawks and warmongers breathing on your back. What would you do ?
Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 06:13 PM   #32
Zombie Acorn
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Let me re-word that.

If you were the President and you had all these hawks and warmongers breathing on your back. What would you do ?
Exactly what I said before, especially since I am in my last term as president. Blowing a few billion on another war is exactly what Republicans would want. I am sure England or France can run to the rescue, we can do some support roles.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 06:38 PM   #33
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
Exactly what I said before, especially since I am in my last term as president. Blowing a few billion on another war is exactly what Republicans would want. I am sure England or France can run to the rescue, we can do some support roles.
Like we did in Libya ?

I'd be ok with that.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 06:57 PM   #34
Vanilla Ice
macrumors 6502

Obama needs to do another B2 Bomber mission into Syria and bomb Al-Assad most valuable military bases just like we did in Libya last year.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 07:13 PM   #35
Vanilla Ice
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by zioxide View Post
It's not our problem. We're not Team America World Police. Let Egypt and some of the other countries in the region deal with the problem for once.

This statement just reeks of complete ignorance. If you can't discern the difference between a war started for a legitimate reason and a war started on completely fabricated pretenses (hint: Iraq didn't have any WMDs!) then you should just leave this thread now.

edit- I just saw John McCain on the news talking about this issue. That man belongs in a nursing home, not congress.
Why not let President Obama do his job and let him and our top military Generals do what they think is right? America will always be considered "World Police" rather you want us to be or not. If Obama decides to drop bombs into Syria because al-Assad is a nut case and a threat, then so be it. Someone needs to put a stop to this maniac (Bashar)
Old Dec 6, 2012, 07:32 PM   #36
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla Ice View Post
Why not let President Obama do his job and let him and our top military Generals do what they think is right? America will always be considered "World Police" rather you want us to be or not. If Obama decides to drop bombs into Syria because al-Assad is a nut case and a threat, then so be it. Someone needs to put a stop to this maniac (Bashar)
There won't be any bombs dropped except perhaps in command and control. Remember if anybody bombs the planes or hangers that sarin gas gets released into the atmosphere.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 08:40 PM   #37
eric/

Quote:
There won't be any bombs dropped except perhaps in command and control. Remember if anybody bombs the planes or hangers that sarin gas gets released into the atmosphere.
The chemicals have to be mixed together first. If it's bombed before they all are (which it would be, if it was used at all), than it will just be a harmless mess.
eric/ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 08:59 PM   #38
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric/ View Post
The chemicals have to be mixed together first. If it's bombed before they all are (which it would be, if it was used at all), than it will just be a harmless mess.
See my previous post :

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost...2&postcount=25

From the news they already mixed them and loaded them into bombs ready to be used. No mixing needed since it was already done.

"The military has loaded the precursor chemicals for sarin, a deadly nerve gas, into aerial bombs that could be dropped onto the Syrian people from dozens of fighter-bombers, the officials said.
As recently as Tuesday, officials had said there was as yet no evidence that the process of mixing the "precursor" chemicals had begun. But Wednesday, they said their worst fears had been confirmed: The nerve agents were locked and loaded inside the bombs."

Last edited by Peace; Dec 6, 2012 at 09:44 PM.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 09:49 PM   #39
waloshin
macrumors 68030

Why is the U.S defence so obsessed with this? Let the U.N deal with it.
waloshin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 10:22 PM   #40
MadeTheSwitch
macrumors 6502

Quote:
It's coming....

Why wouldn't bombing stop them? Take out their airbases, blockade their borders and they can no longer get in supplies. Target key bridges and roads and they can't get around anywhere. It would be fairly easy to bring their military to a standstill. But you are right...not cheap.
MadeTheSwitch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 02:00 AM   #41
CorvusCamenarum
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by waloshin View Post
It's really quite simple. We're arming them. Unfortunately, the current administration seems to have a running problem with said weapons getting into the wrong hands.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 05:55 AM   #42
VulchR
macrumors 68000

Quote:
The same UN that is pulling staff out of Syria? Have you ever heard of Srebrenica?
Old Dec 7, 2012, 07:16 AM   #43
iJohnHenry
Banned

Quote:
Why is the U.S defence so obsessed with this? Let the U.N. deal with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VulchR View Post
The same UN that is pulling staff out of Syria?

Have you ever heard of Srebrenica?
Nominated for Wally's funniest post, ever.
iJohnHenry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 07:35 AM   #44
wrkactjob
Banned

The Russians must be scratching their heads quickly trying to create a 'justification' argument for Syria's potential future use of chemical weapons.

Maybe asking the original supplying countries to gaze inward.

Records are soon to be released as to where Iraq got it's supplies from regards the attrocity at Halabja, the bookies have stopped taking bets on

".. Western companies, there is data pointing to 85 German, 19 French, 18 British and 18 US suppliers"

Wow the Germans making chemical weapons?...Zyklon B anyone?
wrkactjob is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 08:47 AM   #45
Happybunny
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrkactjob View Post

Records are soon to be released as to where Iraq got it's supplies from regards the attrocity at Halabja, the bookies have stopped taking bets on

".. Western companies, there is data pointing to 85 German, 19 French, 18 British and 18 US suppliers"

Wow the Germans making chemical weapons?...Zyklon B anyone?
I think that the 18 UK suppliers are in the clear given that the gas worked. If the UK had supplied it it would have gone off for a long tea break and a smug smile.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 08:53 AM   #46
wrkactjob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happybunny View Post
I think that the 18 UK suppliers are in the clear given that the gas worked. If the UK had supplied it it would have gone off for a long tea break and a smug smile.
I love tea (he said smugly!)...but I alsho like a nish shmoke of your best Dutch hash too!...

God I bet sales of biscuits have gone up in Washington State overnight....lucky....
wrkactjob is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 09:10 AM   #47
Mac'nCheese
macrumors 68020

Quote:
I love tea (he said smugly!)...but I alsho like a nish shmoke of your best Dutch hash too!...

God I bet sales of biscuits have gone up in Washington State overnight....lucky....
Are biscuits in England different then the ones in the USA? After smoking up, The biscuit I'm familiar with would not be on my snack list. But this isn't the first post from across the pond that used a biscuit/pot reference
Mac'nCheese is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 09:32 AM   #48
wrkactjob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac'nCheese View Post
Are biscuits in England different then the ones in the USA? After smoking up, The biscuit I'm familiar with would not be on my snack list. But this isn't the first post from across the pond that used a biscuit/pot reference
They are generally different though you will recognize some of your own brands. We love biscuits so you will not be dissapointed.

Dark chocolate hob-nobs are my favourite....if planes flew over Syria and dropped dope and dark chocolate hob nobs it may alleviate the situation somewhat.

Got to be worth a try.

wrkactjob is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 11:27 AM   #49
Mac'nCheese
macrumors 68020

Quote:
They are generally different though you will recognize some of your own brands. We love biscuits so you will not be dissapointed.

Dark chocolate hob-nobs are my favourite....if planes flew over Syria and dropped dope and dark chocolate hob nobs it may alleviate the situation somewhat.

Got to be worth a try.

Ok. Thanks for the info. They are more like cookies then what I pictured.
Mac'nCheese is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 05:28 AM   #50
Merkava_4
macrumors 6502

Quote:
See my previous post :

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost...2&postcount=25

From the news they already mixed them and loaded them into bombs ready to be used. No mixing needed since it was already done.

"The military has loaded the precursor chemicals for sarin, a deadly nerve gas, into aerial bombs that could be dropped onto the Syrian people from dozens of fighter-bombers, the officials said.
As recently as Tuesday, officials had said there was as yet no evidence that the process of mixing the "precursor" chemicals had begun. But Wednesday, they said their worst fears had been confirmed: The nerve agents were locked and loaded inside the bombs."
If Assad uses his chemical weapons, what are the chances of the stuff woffting
over into Turkey or Lebanon? Or will the fumes stop at the border?
Merkava_4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues